Two small but practical mods for the V8

Mono

1) I added small pieces of the bumper material on both sides of the on-switch. Like this a ) one essentially cannot touch the switch accidentally anymore, b ) it is possible to find the switch even with gloves by touch without looking and c ) the switch is less likely to be hit hard by any possible impact. 

mod1.jpg

2) I added anti-slip tape to the side of the pedals. Like this, I can push down the pedal with the sole of my shoe reliably without slipping. Bending down to the pedals is now a thing of the past. It's much nicer like this. 

mod3.jpg

I like the bumper material around the power button: I've had my V8 for about 10 days and have accidentally hit the power button at least once per day. I guess I'll never learn..

As to the pedals, I put the ankle pads that came with the wheel on the wheel about where the edge of the pedals hit the side. This means the pedal sticks out about half an inch, and is easy to catch with my foot and flip it down.

10 minutes ago, TechShizzle said:

and have accidentally hit the power button at least once per day.

though did that ever create a problem for you? 

3 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

How do you 'accidently' hit the power button on the V8 to where is may cause you problems?

You could try to mount a wheel which is off under the assumption it is on. Or maybe you loose the current trip data?  

Just answering the question, I didn't find it problematic so far ever. 

Just now, Mono said:

You could try to mount a wheel which is off under the assumption it is on. 

Just answering the question, I didn't find it problematic so far. 

Hmmmm......
I always make sure that the wheel is balancing itself fore/aft before I get on.

13 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

How do you 'accidently' hit the power button on the V8 to where is may cause you problems?

For me (and I admit-I'm a complete noob), I can hit the button either by grabbing the handle as I step off (more common in the beginning), when I'm checking the tire pressure and it's laying on its side (easier to do with it sitting on my workbench instead of on the floor in a guitar stand), or pushing it up against something on the workbench when it's on its side, etc.

Ok, that all sounds like a comedy of errors, but especially at first I just wasn't used to being careful about the power button.

22 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Never was a serious problem, but I've done this plenty of times when I had my V8, particularly when handling, carrying, or cleaning it.

It's super easy to do, as the V8 is a momentary press of the power button, unlike the V5 which is a longer press.

That is actually a good point: it did create a problem for me once. I accidentally turned the wheel on while it was not on the ground and without air in the tire. This lead to a spin out with the tire getting quite hot while heavily rubbing on the shell.

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

Sometimes I carry a monopod and shoot video while I ride, and I've thought about accidentally bumping the switch with the bottom of my monopod while changing sides or positions. I wouldn't mind a flip-up cover or some such protective layer.

6 minutes ago, who_the said:

Sometimes I carry a monopod and shoot video while I ride, and I've thought about accidentally bumping the switch with the bottom of my monopod while changing sides or positions. I wouldn't mind a flip-up cover or some such protective layer.

As long as you are in motion pushing the bottom shouldn't have any effect (unless for turning on the light). 

2 minutes ago, Mono said:

As long as you are in motion pushing the bottom shouldn't have any effect (unless for turning on the light). 

Awesome, problem solved, one less thing to worry about! #ThankYou

Archived