Victoria BC eu group

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

yea its been about a week, how you getting along with that MSX? tame it yet?

The MSX is a beautiful machine, I'm loving it! For the first two days I was stumbling around like a drunk along some railings, but something clicked at one point and I quickly got the hang after that. Now I commute to work and back on it every day, am pretty comfortable riding on bike paths and along side traffic. I haven't pushed it past 35 km/h yet though; staying with what feels stable/in control.  Range is great; after my commute from Vic west to royal oak (and back) I still have ~75 percent battery left. It can power through any hill I throw at it, deep gravel and bumpy paths are no problem (but I have to slow down to keep control on  these rougher surfaces). Its really responsive. I never have to fight the wheel; as long as I'm properly balanced and in control it goes where I want it too.  Excited to develop better riding skills to push it further. It's mildly annoying having to turn the wheel off and on to go up stairs; but not a big deal.

The only thing I'm still getting used to is mounting it and getting it rolling; takes me a couple tries sometimes and can be a little frustrating at stops. 

Edited by Justin Boivin
  • Like 2

Hey all, I am from the greater Vancouver area (Abbotsford to be exact), is that close enough to be loosely connected with you all? I have visited Victoria a few times and was last there back in the spring. I dont see any Vancouver group active currently so I figured I might see if I could chat with you all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Justin Boivin said:

The MSX is a beautiful machine, I'm loving it! For the first two days I was stumbling around like a drunk along some railings, but something clicked at one point and I quickly got the hang after that. Now I commute to work and back on it every day, am pretty comfortable riding on bike paths and along side traffic. I haven't pushed it past 35 km/h yet though; staying with what feels stable/in control.  Range is great; after my commute from Vic west to royal oak (and back) I still have ~75 percent battery left. It can power through any hill I throw at it, deep gravel and bumpy paths are no problem (but I have to slow down to keep control on  these rougher surfaces). Its really responsive. I never have to fight the wheel; as long as I'm properly balanced and in control it goes where I want it too.  Excited to develop better riding skills to push it further. It's mildly annoying having to turn the wheel off and on to go up stairs; but not a big deal.

The only thing I'm still getting used to is mounting it and getting it rolling; takes me a couple tries sometimes and can be a little frustrating at stops. 

awesome thats great getting the hang of it quick.. thats a good moderate speed, best not to push it any farther until youre really comfortable, little bits at a time.. overconfidence is what gets most people in the beginning something can happen in the blink of an eye and it comes down to pure instinct, which comes with a lot of experience youll just know when you want to go faster.. probably the time that you do it and dont feel terrified haha.. yea mounting is always the hardest to get good at for anyone but with a bit of practice youll get good and not have to think about it.. i made a short video a little while back, just a quick one on three mounting methods.. the last one is the easiest to do and best for beginners where you push off with one leg to get some monentum so the wheel will start to balance.. pretty much everyone ive trained wants to do a standing mount and they just stumble because its near impossible for anyone new to do it with any sort of grace because there is no gyroscopic effect at all to aid you plus it takes longer to start going.. but after a lot of practice you can mount and dismount from a total standstill 

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Nitecrawler said:

Hey all, I am from the greater Vancouver area (Abbotsford to be exact), is that close enough to be loosely connected with you all? I have visited Victoria a few times and was last there back in the spring. I dont see any Vancouver group active currently so I figured I might see if I could chat with you all.

i believe there actually is a vancouver group they might have a website of some sort but unfortunately i cant remember it at all, i think it was a mixed group with other PEV riders.. but of course you can

Thanks! I am considering jumping into the EUC world and I cant decide whether I should start with something cheap and basic like the V8 or go straight to something that will hopefully keep me interested longer. I have been really infatuated with EUC's since I first saw them online about a year ago. I live just 2 km's from my work and most other places that I go and I am wondering if I can use my car less to lower my insurance rates. I also am a motorcycle owner (Honda CBR 600RR) and love speed unfortunately. Any thoughts on what the best way to go is?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nitecrawler said:

Thanks! I am considering jumping into the EUC world and I cant decide whether I should start with something cheap and basic like the V8 or go straight to something that will hopefully keep me interested longer. I have been really infatuated with EUC's since I first saw them online about a year ago. I live just 2 km's from my work and most other places that I go and I am wondering if I can use my car less to lower my insurance rates. I also am a motorcycle owner (Honda CBR 600RR) and love speed unfortunately. Any thoughts on what the best way to go is?

dont cheap out, you will love it and you will want more and you will get an addiction like me lol.. id probably recommend a tesla if you want something more portable and stealthy.. i mean its far from the most, but you wont outgrow it unlike a lot of other 16" wheels.. if you think youre just gonna want to use it occasionally for commuting i think you will be wrong about that:P the ks16s is also very good, compact, convenient.. but for the price its the same as a tesla with worse specs, its just a bit more convenient than a tesla however it has a top speed of 35 kph.. whereas tesla is 50+ which is crazy on a 16" wheel.. MCM5 and KS14S are also great but a 14" tire is not so good for anything but smooth paved paths, theyre harder to learn and harder to ride most people use them as a side wheel, trick wheel backup etc 16-18" is the sweet spot but for navigating congested areas 18" wheels are much less nimble, plus less convenient to travel with, but they are also safer.. it all depends on your use scenario but id def recommend a 16" as an only wheel or first wheel as theyre always good all rounders they are an average of everything they dont excel at anything but also dont suck at anything xD you could also check craigslist like justin did and maybe score a real cheap starter wheel like a super cheap ninebot or something just to see if you like it and to use as a beater wheel when learning, they can be a bit of an investment and nobody wants to smash up a new toy, you can use it as a junker if you decide you really like eucs and want to get something much better.. thats what i did, if its pouring rain, or i want to try something new, or train somebody else, or just have to go a few blocks away (screw walking) ill take the cheapo wheel

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts Rywokast. I really appreciate your insights as you obviously are well versed in the EUC world. I ironically have had my eye on the Tesla already actually as it does seem to tick all the right boxes for the price. The KS 16S was the first wheel i really liked the look of but after seeing the Tesla that kind of changed... What makes learning on a 16" wheel easier to learn? I rode around a parking lot a little on a guys S2 and did find it a little challenging as I felt like I couldn't grip the wheel between my legs. Where do you get your wheels from?

27 minutes ago, Nitecrawler said:

Thanks for your thoughts Rywokast. I really appreciate your insights as you obviously are well versed in the EUC world. I ironically have had my eye on the Tesla already actually as it does seem to tick all the right boxes for the price. The KS 16S was the first wheel i really liked the look of but after seeing the Tesla that kind of changed... What makes learning on a 16" wheel easier to learn? I rode around a parking lot a little on a guys S2 and did find it a little challenging as I felt like I couldn't grip the wheel between my legs. Where do you get your wheels from?

@rywokast is the man, but fwiw I'm a 6 month rider and I went with the 'smallest of the big', a v10f.  There are plenty of criticisms of it but I'm happy with mine.  I wanted something that could do 50 real km on a charge.  I'm thinking of treating myself to a bigger wheel in the new year.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nitecrawler said:

oh nice, yes it certainly is the best bang for the buck EUC you can get if you ask me.. 16S has more conveniences and a better build, as is usually the case with KS vs GW but the tesla kicks its ass spec wise.. what makes them the easiest to learn on (imo) is the fact that 14 and below wheels are very squirrely, they react instantaneously to any small movement you make and as well they have less contact with the ground meaning there is more balancing to do on your part.. you might think well then obviously an 18, or 22 inch wheel would be the easiest but actually they arent either because they are large, heavy and can be quite unwieldy to a beginner, not to mention they are on the opposite scale as 14 or below wheels where they lack that initial torque that a smaller wheel has (everything above 16" uses "spokes" meaning the magnets are much farther out, they take a lot more time to react which can be quite good for an experienced rider who wants to just cruise comfortably.. but it also means if you arent experienced it might be the wheel driving you haha) meaning your moves have to be more planned out and deliberate, braking time will be doubled, sudden moves may take more deliberate action than you feel comfortable giving as a beginner, they dont catch up to you as quick so if you hit something a curb or whatnot or bounce you may bounce or lean right off the wheel as it will be behind you.. if you ask me unless youre a heavy guy with some muscle you will have a much harder time taming a bigger wheel, although its true of course on a flat straight of course a bigger wheel will be the easiest balance on.. but a 16" wheel is just a good all around wheel, comfortable, compact, torquey yet not super twitchy.. it is also somewhat down to your size and activity level, if youre a 300 lb bodybuilder then yea 18" wheel all day and to start.. if youre a 90 lb 5'5" woman then a 14" wheel would be a good starter.. im speaking in terms of an average height man which im just assuming that you are.. of course anybody can learn on any wheel, but that doesnt mean it will be optimal. yea the S2 is short, thin and has no pads lol, plus its a 14".. definitely a slippery bugger.. i get some from Jason (ewheels), freemotionshop, smartwheel canada, and aliexpress.. buying from jason is without a doubt the best choice in all aspects, if you can afford to not buy from china the support/after sale is phenomenal.. the same cannot be said about the other vendors, and aliexpress you will get absolutely no help even if something is faulty most of the time.. so its a gamble, plus you have to wait a long time for shipping.. but it is by far the cheapest method 

Edited by Rywokast

3 minutes ago, TonyGrayCanada said:

@rywokast is the man, but fwiw I'm a 6 month rider and I went with the 'smallest of the big', a v10f.  There are plenty of criticisms of it but I'm happy with mine.  I wanted something that could do 50 real km on a charge.  I'm thinking of treating myself to a bigger wheel in the new year.

thanks hah, yea the V10F is not an unwise choice, it is an excellent wheel if you dont crave high speeds.. it has all the features, safety and comforts that one could hope for.. i think of it more of a luxury vehicle compared to most others where raw performance is king.. im also thinking of, well i cant say treating.. but getting a bigger wheel next summer.. i may pick up a 16X soon, but in the summer i would really like to get the top spec monster so i can go on even longer rides... at this point even 100 km rides dont sate me sometimes, especially if its nice out :P

• Like 1

Ya Justin I was noticing that. I looked up Tesla's at all the non-Alieexpress vendors and their prices seem to be the best (and I could pick it up in person and save shipping). Anybody here bought from Van EUC before? Also do you guys ride in the rain? I have wondered a lot about this as obviously it gets wet in our part of the world.

1 minute ago, Nitecrawler said:

Ya Justin I was noticing that. I looked up Tesla's at all the non-Alieexpress vendors and their prices seem to be the best (and I could pick it up in person and save shipping). Anybody here bought from Van EUC before? Also do you guys ride in the rain? I have wondered a lot about this as obviously it gets wet in our part of the world.

I almost bought a Tesla from Van EUC but then I found my MSX on craigslist and went for that. Tom from Van EUC was really helpful and replied to messages pretty quickly, and actually knew the guy who was selling the MSX and gave his assurances; so yes I would highly suggest. I've only had my wheel about 2 weeks so have not yet had a chance to ride in the rain, but lotsa people do it, and are fine. There are precautions you can take to protect your wheel from water . I want to put some kind of tape or covering over the power switch just to be safe before I ride in the rain. Here's a good video on the subject: 

25 minutes ago, Nitecrawler said:

i havent.. as for the rain it depends on the particular EUC, it shell design, button locations, safeguards, layout etc.. i have ridden for three years in all conditions on a ninebot one and an inmotion v5f.. inmotion EUCs are the ONLY ones with any waterproofing whatsoever, though due to the general design most EUCs are relatively impervious to rain, but like anything it can depend on how much and for how long.. i dont ever ride my >$1k wheels in the rain, and i always have one of these in my pocket or in a backpack https://www.amazon.ca/AGPTEK-Waterproof-Backpack-Cover-Black/dp/B07211B8MD/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=rain+cover&qid=1573188556&sr=8-5 they will totally waterproof any EUC for all but submersion.. the motors are sealed and the insides PCB, batteries etc are not accessible from underneath so there is zero need to worry about anything if you have a cover.. but do beware of road conditions haha.. mud, wet leaves, ice.. avoid like the plague.. though i do ride in the snow on the occasions that it does here

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

Vancouver riders tend to chat and organize rides on the Facebook or Messenger group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/364036034314995/?ref=share

Buying from Ali is cheapest, but be prepared to wait a long time for shipping and clearing customs. Also, if you have any problems with the wheel, you’ll likely have a tough time getting service.

Thomas at VanEUC is great for service and provides a warranty. Pickup from his Chinatown location can save you shipping fees. 

Riding in the rain is fine as long as your wheel is properly weather sealed. AFAIK only the InMotions do a proper job of this from the factory. With the other wheels you’ll have to do some custom mods like covers or tape or spray sealant.

• Like 3

Thanks Asphalt, I will definitely look them up there!

Rywokast, thanks for that link! I think it would be great to get a cover for the wheel as I want to be able to ride short distances in the rain if this is going to be a daily driver.

So I spent some time on an EUC today! There is a guy called Dave in my area who who gives lessons on a Ninebot One. I actually did a lesson with him a year ago and then did another today and he is letting me rent one of his wheels for a month (also a ninebot one)! So this way I can get some pedal time in and see if this is all that it is chalked up to be. I spent about an hour riding around in parking lots today and think i'm doing well so far. I already am annoyed by the 10km/hr limit though... lol

1 hour ago, Nitecrawler said:

Thanks Asphalt, I will definitely look them up there!

Rywokast, thanks for that link! I think it would be great to get a cover for the wheel as I want to be able to ride short distances in the rain if this is going to be a daily driver.

So I spent some time on an EUC today! There is a guy called Dave in my area who who gives lessons on a Ninebot One. I actually did a lesson with him a year ago and then did another today and he is letting me rent one of his wheels for a month (also a ninebot one)! So this way I can get some pedal time in and see if this is all that it is chalked up to be. I spent about an hour riding around in parking lots today and think i'm doing well so far. I already am annoyed by the 10km/hr limit though... lol

yea its good to have one on hand.. oh thats pretty awesome i wish there was somewhere that offered euc rentals here lol, way better to try it before spending a lot of money.. is it a ninebot C or E? they have an 18 kph and 20 kph limit respectively but yes its super fkn slow haha, but its an euc nonetheless so you can get a grasp for it

I ordered a couple of those covers, hopefully they will fit wheel on the ninebot. Do they ever get dragged into the wheel area? I could see that going badly quickly... I think it is an E but im not actually sure, how would i find out? It is strange, the guy who i am borrowing it from thought that it should be able to be unlocked to 20k per hour but i cant figure out how to do that. I have played around with the app but cant figure it out. Do i have to go a certain distance first before that is unlocked?

5 hours ago, Nitecrawler said:

I ordered a couple of those covers, hopefully they will fit wheel on the ninebot. Do they ever get dragged into the wheel area? I could see that going badly quickly... I think it is an E but im not actually sure, how would i find out? It is strange, the guy who i am borrowing it from thought that it should be able to be unlocked to 20k per hour but i cant figure out how to do that. I have played around with the app but cant figure it out. Do i have to go a certain distance first before that is unlocked?

that would be very very bad luck lol, not that i think it would actually do anything not like the whole cover would suddenly be sucked up, more like it would just be touching the tire, its not like its a vacuum.. but most of the time they dont even come near the tire... GT16, MSX, Monster those have very exposed tires which would be a risk i would probably put a piece of tape along the back of those near the tire, but anything else its not a concern... the segway-ninebot app will tell you the model you have in the serial number under "basic info" i believe.. also, there is no speed limit setting or distance there is only a "limited mode" which sets the max speed to a completely ridiculous level, make sure thats off. can you post a ss of your app and what it says under basic info?

2 minutes ago, Nitecrawler said:

Ok good to know, thanks. How do i upload photos here? The only option I see is to insert a image from URL.

youre probably just too new, just upload it to an image hosting site and link it here

Edited by Rywokast