Gotway Monster Received and Oh My God

Marty Backe

19 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

While I have stated numerous times that soft mood is more energy efficient, I think I have been telling people falsely. That is, given the same riding style hard may be more energy efficient than soft.

To verify hard uses less energy than soft, ride your wheel with both settings over the same level ground. You'll notice hard uses less energy than soft, and I think I figured out why.

The analogy is holding up a dumbbell straight above your head versus to your side; notice you have to expend more energy keeping the dumbbell to your side than straight up. In other words, @Marty Backe calling the "get out of the hole" is measurable. Keeping the dumbbell (the metal ball and not the rider) balanced above you takes less energy than nearly dropping the dumbbell then expending great energy to try to keep it almost level.

However, ride a wheel soft then ride it hard, and the soft setting uses less energy per mile, and it's not by a little bit but a lot.

So here we have WheelLog showing less watts on hard setting versus soft, but when you actually ride the wheel we have the softer setting using less energy than the hard setting!

Whoops, so what is happening here?

The answer, obvious now but not then, is the soft setting makes riders be much slower in their acceleration whereas hard encrourages hot dogging. Drive a hard wheel like it's soft and you'll get great mileage, but of course no one does that (nor should you). It's impossible, an affront to fun.

Interesting, and sounds correct :thumbup: I would still like some confirmation. And I suppose does it really matter the 'why'?

I do have a very predictable long (25-mile) range testing loop. Maybe on an upcoming weekend I'll ride with the same wheel, Saturday on hard mode and Sunday on soft. Ride it in the morning under low wind conditions. This sounds like a good test to do on my Tesla.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually feel that I can accelerate faster on my Monster 100v and X in Softer Mode. I thinks its because there in more play (pitch and roll) in the wheel which enables me to have some leverage on the acceleration movement. This also seems to help with braking faster too. 

6 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

I actually feel that I can accelerate faster on my Monster 100v and X in Softer Mode. I thinks its because there in more play (pitch and roll) in the wheel which enables me to have some leverage on the acceleration movement. This also seems to help with braking faster too. 

I love our wheels. There's always something new to learn or play with. For the longest time I only used the hard mode. Then I got turned on to using soft mode for better mileage, but I still gravitated to the hard modes. Hard mode also seems to make wheel reversals easier.

But the last couple of days I've been riding the MCM5 in soft mode and am really enjoying the experience. And riding backwards is still easy. So regarding reversals and the hardness mode, I think maybe that's just a skill level thing, and my skills are higher now.

So I'm really digging soft again :D

On 12/5/2018 at 9:43 AM, LanghamP said:

While I have stated numerous times that soft mood is more energy efficient, I think I have been telling people falsely. That is, given the same riding style hard may be more energy efficient than soft.

To verify hard uses less energy than soft, ride your wheel with both settings over the same level ground. You'll notice hard uses less energy than soft, and I think I figured out why.

The analogy is holding up a dumbbell straight above your head versus to your side; notice you have to expend more energy keeping the dumbbell to your side than straight up. In other words, @Marty Backe calling the "get out of the hole" is measurable. Keeping the dumbbell (the metal ball and not the rider) balanced above you takes less energy than nearly dropping the dumbbell then expending great energy to try to keep it almost level.

However, ride a wheel soft then ride it hard, and the soft setting uses less energy per mile, and it's not by a little bit but a lot.

So here we have WheelLog showing less watts on hard setting versus soft, but when you actually ride the wheel we have the softer setting using less energy than the hard setting!

Whoops, so what is happening here?

The answer, obvious now but not then, is the soft setting makes riders be much slower in their acceleration whereas hard encrourages hot dogging. Drive a hard wheel like it's soft and you'll get great mileage, but of course no one does that (nor should you). It's impossible, an affront to fun.

I tried to do an objective test this weekend. It was semi-successful :facepalm:

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

This isn't the first time that I've seen one of my pictures reused. I'm flattered :)

Thanks for showing me the link.

Archived