Gotway Monster Received and Oh My God

Marty Backe

IMG_1160

Today I received my Monster (I was expecting it next Monday). Shipped from Speedyfeet on Sunday to California. Can't beat those delivery times.

So you can see me with my Monster and 1300wh ACM that I got 3 days ago. Two new wheels within a few days - I'm not sure what to do :wacko:

Before I continue with my Monster ride observations I feel that I need to make this statement:  I hereby formally bow down to the Gotway Gods :dribble:

Ian (Speedyfeet)  had pre-charged the Monster so when I took it out of the box (and gave myself a small hernia in the process) I had an 80% charge. That meant only one thing - an immediate test ride. I used my existing old Gotway app to configure it: 1st & 2nd alarms off and tilt-back off. It's nice that I've been able to use my original Gotway app to configure all of these wheels. And the Wheellog app (and Pebble watch connection) work perfectly with these new wheels.

When I climbed aboard (an apt description) and started riding I thought to myself, "what have I gotten myself into"?  This thing is a beast and when you first start, it feels totally unwieldy. Turning as you do with a normal wheel does nothing - it keeps going straight. Turning the Monster is all about weigh shifting and hips to shoulders. I will say that once you get use to this way of turning it is a piece of cake. I can literally turn with the same agility as my ACM, but the body movements are very different. The problem can be that as you're riding and suddenly need to turn you apply your normal turning techniques and the Monster just ignores you :D  So after a 25 mile ride today my knees and lower legs are hurting because I kept falling back into my old ways. Clearly this will improve.

But I did ride 25 miles today. After about an hour everything was really clicking and it no longer felt unwieldy. I'm probably going to run out of superlatives trying to describe my riding today. I rode a river trail that I enjoy, a park with lots of dirt/sand trails, and sidewalks in town. The Monster eats anything in its way. I'm serious. I rode over bumps, thick mud, sand, whatever. It just takes it and doesn't toss you around. Deep ruts in the trails? - the Monster laughed at them. Hitting some of them in my ACM would have thrown me from the wheel.

I like to carve when I ride and that was very enjoyable with the Monster. Weaving in and out of obstacles on the sidewalks was easy. I climbed a couple of very steep inclines and there was no problem. Feels like my MSuper - you have to really lean into it and have faith that it's not going to dump you. My ACM on the other hand climbs inclines much easier.

Acceleration and braking feels like the MSuper, but a tad more sluggish. Today I had one hard brake that I had to apply to avoid missing my intended turn. I managed the brake and turn successfully but it was a near miss. I think it's best to plan your brakes well ahead of time with this wheel :o

I must say that I think the Monster has the potential to be a dangerous wheel :shock2:. Why? Speed. Prior to the Monster I felt that I had the fastest wheels available (ACM and MSuper). I typically ride my ACM between 17 and 20 mph, sometimes going up to 22 for short periods. Feels very fast. The Monster? It laughs at 20. Seriously! For half my ride today I would catch myself looking at my watch (Pebble) to see that I was going 22mph! For awhile I was going 25mph and here's the thing; it didn't feel dangerously fast. 25!  I was feeling very comfortable going 22mph whereas on the ACM it feels like you're pushing it. The Monster is so stable and has so much reserve power that it's a pure joy to ride fast. I was riding 20mph on some trails! I never heard the 3rd alarm today.

So I have to say if you love going fast and eating up any road or trail in your way you will love the Monster. I think it's the most amazing wheel ever produced. I'm very serious. No, I wouldn't recommend it as your only wheel because lets face it, it's a beast. But in the context of trail & street riding it's amazingly fun. I can't wait to take it up into the mountains this weekend.

I'll be posting a video review and ride video sometime in the next week.

IMG_1174-2

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice~

Agree with it all.

On an 18" EUC, 32-33kph feels like comfortable cruising speed, while 35kph+ burst starts feeling unsafe.

On the 22" Monster, 35-36kph feels like comfortable cruising speed, while I haven't dared sustaining higher speeds yet.

And definitely, the Monster is nowhere near as washy / soft as the MSuper3S+

I can now keep pace with stop-and-go NYC traffic, but unfortunately, must always prep braking after big bursts due to the slower braking / reaction time. 

24 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Be sure to bring it along on Sunday so I can try out the next wheel I'll be buying from you when you upgrade to the 3500wh version as soon as Gotway decides to make it.

Somehow I knew you were going to say something like that :cheers:  I hope they don't; these wheels are starting to get expensive :crying:

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

@Marty Backe

definitly Time for a Charge Doctor with 2 input lines....so that you can use at least 2 of your dozen GW chargers ;-)

Yeah, I notice that my pile of chargers is starting to grow. Although it may take 24 hours for a full charge, at most I'll ride the Monster once a week. So charge time is not important to me with this wheel.

Congratulations! You do look happy in the photos:thumbup:

That thing is huge though (how tall are you, for comparison, if you want to tell?), definitely not an everyday wheel (or is it?). I'm a bit shocked by the ACM weight so I can't even imagine what a 60% heavier wheel must be like. How do you keep it stable when you're standing, is that hard?

And it sounds like a futuristic thingie in your video, louder than the usual wheels. Pedestrians will hear you coming.

Looking forward to your videos to see more.

Wow! Good review. A real beast.

So how do you push it? I'm sure it doesn't come with a trolley handle and it's not high enough to push without any handle. How do you even get it out of trunk without breaking your back? Do you use some kind of ramp? I think this one deserves ATGATT ( all the gear all the time).

If it hits my Nissan LEAF how much damage it will cause?

Can you push a stalled car with it's massive power?

If you connect two Monsters with a frame and a seat, will it qualify as motor cycle?

Can soldiers use it for real? 

Can you program it to run over Trump....never mind.

Can it go from LA to SF in one charge? Kidding on the last one.

7 minutes ago, Planetpapi said:

Wow! Good review. A real beast.

So how do you push it? I'm sure it doesn't come with a trolley handle and it's not high enough to push without any handle. How do you even get it out of trunk without breaking your back? Do you use some kind of ramp? I think this one deserves ATGATT ( all the gear all the time).

If it hits my Nissan LEAF how much damage it will cause?

Can you push a stalled car with it's massive power?

If you connect two Monsters with a frame and a seat, will it qualify as motor cycle?

Can soldiers use it for real? 

Can you program it to run over Trump....never mind.

Can it go from LA to SF in one charge? Kidding on the last one.

Very funny ^_^  I have yet to put it in my trunk (but I will for a ride this upcoming Sunday), but it is extremely heavy and I'm not looking forward to transporting it. It is fairly tall so moving it short distances isn't a problem. A ramp actually would be nice :)

You don't want to hit anything with this. In all seriousness I'm slightly worried that if I have a wreck it's not going to survive very well. With my other wheels if you drop them they get scratched and scuffed up a bit. If I fall off this at 10mph it's now a 70 pound chunk of light weight plastic hurtling down the path. Because of that I'm not going to push it to extremes by riding it places where it's likely that I may fall off.

5 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

Image result for segway ramp

The picture shows real ramp sold by Segway for couple of hundreds.

For under 15 bucks I made a wooden ramp with middle hinge and some rubber paint for traction. Works like a champ.

You forgot to mention that for a couple hundred bucks the Segway ramp also comes with the 'girl lift' accessory!:)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

You forgot to mention that for a couple hundred bucks the Segway ramp also comes with the 'girl lift' accessory!:)

It looks like she is pushing it with it turned off.  That's a lot of dead weight to push up such steep ramps.  If powered on it would pull itself up the ramps until the handlebar hit the hatchback, then you would have to turn it off to let the handle rotate backwards enough to push it the rest of the way.  With a pickup truck it could pull itself all the in, but it looks a little tricky to do.

She is getting quite a workout^_^

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Today I received my Monster (I was expecting it next Monday). Shipped from Speedyfeet on Sunday to California. Can't beat those delivery times.

Very nice review!! Oh..I forgot to tell you:  "I Hate You Marty"! :) That wheel is so sweet!! OMG you are seriously walking me down 'divorce lane'! Holy Sh.t!! 

How does it feel to be bigger than most?;)

20 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Very nice review!! Oh..I forgot to tell you:  "I Hate You Marty"! :) That wheel is so sweet!! OMG you are seriously walking me down 'divorce lane'! Holy Sh.t!! 

How does it feel to be bigger than most?;)

I will be totally dominating the group ride this Sunday. I will have to refrain from pushing my fellow riders off the road :angry:

It really is too bad that EUCs aren't much more popular so that we can go down to the nearest dealer and give these things a test ride, The thing with the Monster is that if you only give it 5 minutes you may be put-off. But after an hour of putting it through its paces you'll want one bad. Riding this at 15mph just feels S.L.O.W.

Maybe after you've been enjoying your new ACM for awhile the Monsters will be more accessible, and your wife will have forgotten that you bought the ACM <_<

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

@Marty Backe Is your Monster 1600 Mh or 2400 Mh? 

What do you think? Seriously?

36 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:
37 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Marty Backe Is your Monster 1600 Mh or 2400 Mh? 

What do you think? Seriously?

I just went on SpeedyFeet's website. 2400Mh! My bad!

I cannot believe Ian can jump lift that beast! 

mZfUEWr.jpg

57 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I cannot believe Ian can jump lift that beast! 

mZfUEWr.jpg

I still haven't really learned how to jump on any of my wheels - something I need to work on. Even Ian seem to give up on the idea of doing much jumping with this wheel.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

My only ride has been the 25 mile one, and I used 30% of my battery. Probably half the ride was moving at ~20mph, so I was consuming some serious energy. I really think I'l going to get 75 - 90 miles out of this. I just have a pick a day where I have the time to ride for 8 hours and fully test the range :cry2:

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I still haven't really learned how to jump on any of my wheels - something I need to work on. Even Ian seem to give up on the idea of doing much jumping with this wheel.

No I have not either. It is not high on my priority list. The guy has legs of steal.  Wonder if he ever used Susan Summers Thigh Master?  The reason I asked about your model they do make a 1600 Mh version. Btw...Ian is sold out of the Monster! 

We'll be careful, have fun and I am looking forward to your video!

10 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

No I have not either. It is not high on my priority list. The guy has legs of steal.  Wonder if he ever used Susan Summers Thigh Master?  The reason I asked about your model they do make a 1600 Mh version. Btw...Ian is sold out of the Monster! 

We'll be careful, have fun and I am looking forward to your video!

I was just razzing you for possibly thinking that I would go for the low-end Monster model ;)

When I bought it his stock went immediately to "out-of-stock", so I got the last one. Whew! He was the only place that had any. Now everyone has to wait until late February (Chinese New Year) before stocks start filling up again.

Archived