Swaying / sea-"sickness" after riding Ninebot One S2

Souleye

Hi!

I received my first EUC, a Ninebot One S2, about 2 weeks ago. I learned fast and now I am VERY comfortable riding it. However, there seems to be an ever-so-slight wobble on the wheel. Therefore my body adapts in order to go straight. But then hours after I stop riding, I have this swaying motion in my legs and in my head. I don't feel it while riding. I liken it to when coming ashore after having been on wavy sea for a few hours. My body kind of feels like it's still on a boat.

Is this common? Have anyone of you guys experienced this?

I feel it both forward/back and to the sides.

The back and forth feels fine to me.

But the side-swaying it fast and rythmic, and corresponds with a slight wobble I feel while riding (even straight!). So I am contemplating whether to return it so the vendor can have a look at it, but I wanted to check with you experienced guys first if this is normal, worth it, to be expected... or not.

What say ye?!

• Upvote 1

Have you ever recalibrated your Ninebot to see what happens?

Does the S2 have an app selectable setting for the suspension stiffness? If it has a suspension setting then try riding at the stiffer and softer settings and pick a setting you like. While making turns the suspension stiffness setting can be felt as pressure (more or less) against the bot contact points on your legs. The stiffer suspension setting tends to keep the rider going straighter when making turns at higher speeds (by adding forward speed in response to sideways lean in a curve, felt as subtle pressure from the bot against the leg in the direction to encourage a more upright stance). You need to feel really comfortable riding to sense the suspension adjustments against your legs in a turn.

Screenshot_2017-01-25-20-59-31.png

On 1/26/2017 at 7:53 PM, Souleye said:

I do wonder, anyone experience that "swaying"?

I did, but only for a short time, after riding more (like weeks more) it went away.  Your body is just getting used to new sensations and movements, no need to worry if it is minor.  I got that from being on a ship also, after getting back to dry land I could still feel the movement of the ocean for a while, kind of neat actually.  After you get your sea legs you will lose that swaying feeling and kind of miss it:)

On 1/25/2017 at 8:14 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

Have you ever recalibrated your Ninebot to see what happens?

@Bob Eisenman last week after a ride I did the app calibration and the pedals tilted up in front a lot, I rode a short distance and it was uncomfortable so i re-did the app calibration a couple more times and the pedals were at about 11 degrees up in front.  So when I got home I looked up @SuperSport's manual calibration video and @Vik's written description of the manual calibration and tried that about 3 or 4 times and ended up with about a 3 degree forward up tilt.  This is pissing me off:furious:  The pedals were almost flat on the previous ride, just slightly feeling tilted down in front so I wanted to get them back to level.  The app says the pitch is almost zero but putting my phone on the pedal with the inclinometer app on shows that the level is off, not to mention that you can just look at it and it's not level.

I know you have ridden many miles on your Bot, have you ever had that happen and what did you do if it did?

Mine will go out of warranty next month, I could still take it in to the Segway store that I bought it from, but fear that my Bot is the only one he has ever seen.:cry2:

I've noticed that after a few 3 or 4 mile rides, the pedals gradually start to feel like they are leaning down in front, not much but noticeable.  Has that ever happened to you?

Also I have gotten the speed to 15 mph a couple of times for short bursts but have never gotten any beeps, and people complain all the time here about the Ninebot is too slow and beeps all the time.  The only times I get beeps is if I turn on the speed limiter.  I am too afraid to test the top speed at my age (60)

I haven't recalibrated for awhile but recalibration never caused the pedals to be out of position as you describe. 

Sometimes when a series of bumps occurs in rapid succession the pedals immediately feel forward tilted for a second but they level out again within a few feet.

Warranty service would be a good deal ($) if parts replacement is required.

Top speed has a color indicator on the Ninebot One app. The color of the speedometer changes from Green to orange above a certain speed (12 ?). The color change at that speed and higher is not visible in camera background mode. 

Screenshot_2016-08-13-13-25-31.png

Screenshot_2016-08-13-13-25-19.png

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Top speed has a color indicator on the Ninebot One app. The color of the speedometer changes from Green to orange above a certain speed (12 ?). The color change at that speed and higher is not visible in camera background mode.

Thanks, I may take it in next Saturday, will ride some today and try riding it backwards too.

I get the color change to orange on the app, but no beeps or tiltback, maybe because I always slow down and don't try to maintain the speed.

On 1/25/2017 at 7:28 PM, Souleye said:

the side-swaying it fast and rythmic, and corresponds with a slight wobble I feel while riding (even straight!). So I am contemplating whether to return it so the vendor can have a look at it,

After re-reading your post, I must have read it too fast, that side swaying feeling even after getting off the wheel I don't remember getting a feeling like that, so maybe if it does not go away, you could send it back to be checked out.  Have you tried riding with the wheel turned around to see if that changes the wobble?  And try changing the tire pressure up and down to see if that helps.

I am not sure the wheel should be to be blamed for a sensation one gets after riding it. I would be surprised if this doesn't go away on its own with time. Just my two cents though.

On 27.1.2017 at 2:53 AM, Souleye said:

Saw them twice :)

I do wonder, anyone experience that "swaying"?

are you a newbie and only experiencing that on "faster" speeds?

thats just you learning....and getting experienced!

a lot of beginner have that in their first 2-3 weeks...it goes away

I also experience the wobble with the ninebot e + and with time it disappeared, when I bought the gotway again I went back to the wobble, but it happened to me at 35 klh, time later disappeared, I once came back doing a little jump, I do not believe That the problem comes from the wheel, I think it is the pilot and in some case because of the excess pressure on the wheel

I feel very steady and secure in my riding. Riding feels natural. The wobble is subtle as heck, nothing like a newbie flailing around. I get it at all speeds. It's most pronounced when braking hard.

12 hours ago, Mono said:

I am not sure the wheel should be to be blamed for a sensation one gets after riding it. I would be surprised if this doesn't go away on its own with time. Just my two cents though.

I feel a tiny wobble while riding, and it corresponds with the sway I feel afterwards.

3 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

How did this thread ever get to talking about 'wobble' of the EUC when the op was talking about the swaying in their legs and head (vertigo)?

The secret is reading fast and knowing what it is about anyways :P

• 2 years later...

Digging up an old thread, I know. But I definitely get this sea-motion feeling too, and right now I'm feeling pretty queasy actually. Although that could be a bug or something...

Anyway, did your feeling end up going away after a while, souleye? I'm not a fan of the feeling, myself, so I'm hoping it goes away soon. I'm an absolute beginner -- only got my ninebot last week, so I'm assuming it's just a beginner thing.