OMG! New Solowheel with 2 wheel design?

Planetpapi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Planetpapi said:

Interesting. Although it looks terrible........not sure how this would appeal to anyone other than those turned-off by the euc learning curve.

Have to say, I STILL to this day consider the black Solowheel Extreme to be the best looking euc ever. Something about the styling combined with how much of the wheel is on show. Made it look so naturally sporty. Just a pity it had that low speed and astronomical price.

Solowheel Xtremeby FancyMerchant.jpg

3 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

A mock up or a real prototype?

Where's the battery?

where's the control board?

how much power?

Did you hear the grinding noise of the pedals in turns by watching the photo?

double wheel are special to drive. 

Where's the use case for this small thing?

5 hours ago, OliverH said:

I wonder whether you (still) ask the same question for the conventional hoverboard which apparently sold millions of times only in the US.

4 hours ago, Mono said:

I wonder whether you (still) ask the same question for the conventional hoverboard which apparently sold millions of times only in the US.

I had two times a Hoverboard on a tour. Not enough power for hills, small obstacles are an issue (because of the small diameter). In this size you can't fit high power. But let's see if such a product should appear.

5 hours ago, OliverH said:

I had two times a Hoverboard on a tour. Not enough power for hills, small obstacles are an issue (because of the small diameter). In this size you can't fit high power. But let's see if such a product should appear.

We can conclude it's not for touring, I agree. 

16 hours ago, OliverH said:

A mock up or a real prototype?

Where's the battery?

where's the control board?

how much power?

Did you hear the grinding noise of the pedals in turns by watching the photo?

double wheel are special to drive. 

All the specs and the prototype video here: 

Looks incredibly awkward, but the value proposition and the concept design are quite interesting. 

If there won't be any work-arounds on the design side, it's going to be even more niche than gotway one.

The dealbreaker is the pedal height, which seems prohibitive to ride on even slightly uneven surfaces and to make tight turns. Then, what's the point?

• 2 months later...

This is a real thing. I don't like two wheelers too, but I guess it would be very difficult to balance one wheel with such a small diameter.

I guess the range would not be spectacular, but imagine carrying it in your backpack with your laptop. Just as a backup transportation.

Solowheel thinks differently, the XTREME is the lightest 18" wheel and it has a lithium-manganese battery. The range and max. speed is disappointing however.

And there is the Solowheel Orbit, a hubless design which weights only 6 kg.

Great design and ideas, just the low performance. I think the price is not the major sales factor here - if the performance would be a bit better (even exactly the same like Ninebot One E+), sales would be much higher.

Recently I had a chance to test the XTREME and it really looks gorgeous, it's so small like for an 18" wheel.

One thing I know from the distributor is that they are working hard on the new models, and the model mentioned in this topic will be available soon. It gained a huge financing for manufacture.

The dealbreaker is the pedal height, which seems prohibitive to ride on even slightly uneven surfaces and to make tight turns. Then, what's the point?

I don't think you can compare it to any EUC. However with such small wheels, making turns could be not so bad as you think. Maybe there are two engines and one of them is disabled when making turns? I don't know, we'll see.

It's definitely a product that will bring some attention to Solowheel.

31 minutes ago, Bat said:

guess it would be very difficult to balance one wheel with such a small diameter.

Gotway have done 5" prototype EUC's...and have produced a lot of 10" and are doing it now again...

Not that more difficult to ride a smaller diameter, when you are able to ride a EUC in general!

1 hour ago, Bat said:

And there is the Solowheel Orbit, a hubless design which weights only 6 kg.

I don't think there is (beyond on paper or web pages), but I would be so glad to be proven wrong. 

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Gotway have done 5" prototype EUC's...and have produced a lot of 10" and are doing it now again...

Not that more difficult to ride a smaller diameter, when you are able to ride a EUC in general!

I knew it, just knew it! I knew someone will point out Gotway 5" as an example ;-)

I've seen only one video with this EUC in action, so I guess it didn't make it to the production:

I know that long EUC riding experience will be extremely helpful to ride such a small wheel, I'm pretty confident I could ride this one as well. But it would definitely require getting use to, and as much as I hate double-wheeled "EUCs", I'm sure in this case it would make things easier, especially for new users. It is actually a must, as there is no market for transportation devices harder to master than EUCs. I just can't see newbies learning riding on Gotway 5".

25 minutes ago, Mono said:

I don't think there is (beyond on paper or web pages), but I would be so glad to be proven wrong. 

It was actually introduced on the Solowheel event in the US, so it's real, but surprisingly I couldn't find it in any online store. The European distributor doesn't have it in stock as well. Solowheel has a weird approach that not all their products are available worldwide.

What's interesting, they always advertise this awesome red tyre, but no production model has ever got one. It's a pity it's just a render.

Here is the event:

https://www.engadget.com/2014/06/21/solowheel-spirit-cruise-xtreme-orbit-hovertrax/

Solowheel-orbit-cruise-hovertrax.jpg

solowheel-china-launch-1.jpg

Although the Orvit performance is not great, this is the best looking wheel I've seen, and definitely the most futuristic. And I think the weight compensates the performance. I would definitely buy one, at least for testing and some fun, but I have no idea where I can get one.

22 minutes ago, Bat said:

It was actually introduced on the Solowheel event in the US, so it's real

In 2014, apparently, but I am not aware that the Orbit has been sold anywhere at any point in time so far. Again, I would be glad to be proven wrong. 

This is the only vid I could find where it is actually shown moving with a rider on top at least for a few seconds.

• 3 months later...

Regarding this Solowheel Xtreme, that black version does have a nice practical & sporty look without having that glossy white iPod style, which I hate. It also seems quite compact for an 18" wheel. If Chinese imitators cloned the Solowheel Orbit (ie. Fastwheel Orbit) then did they also clone this Solowheel Xtreme? (and maybe somehow boost the performance in the bargain?)

I'm wondering if there are any plans to upgrade the Xtreme design for improved performance - say, 30mph & 30 miles range?

On 02/08/2017 at 3:15 AM, sanman said:

If Chinese imitators cloned the Solowheel Orbit (ie. Fastwheel Orbit) then did they also clone this Solowheel Xtreme?

What you mean in the same way that those horrible people at Inmotion cloned the Solowheel Glide 3 and called it the V8.

On 02/08/2017 at 3:15 AM, sanman said:

I'm wondering if there are any plans to upgrade the Xtreme design for improved performance

Doubt it, or they wouldn't be appearing to be basing their future on rebadged Inmotion wheels at what appears to be a 50% mark up.

14 minutes ago, Keith said:

What you mean in the same way that those horrible people at Inmotion cloned the Solowheel Glide 3 and called it the V8.

Doubt it, or they wouldn't be appearing to be basing their future on rebadged Inmotion wheels at what appears to be a 50% mark up.

Just looked at Inmotion V8 and it looks fatter/thicker than Solowheel Xtreme -- too bad they couldn't keep the slimmer look, because it looked nicer and sleeker. I also think I prefer the simpler utilitarian look over the iPod look with all those LEDs, etc. Having LED headlight & tail-light is fine, but I wouldn't want to look like a rolling Electronic Billboard.:unsure:

58 minutes ago, sanman said:

Just looked at Inmotion V8 and it looks fatter/thicker than Solowheel Xtreme -- too bad they couldn't keep the slimmer look, because it looked nicer and sleeker. I also think I prefer the simpler utilitarian look over the iPod look with all those LEDs, etc. Having LED headlight & tail-light is fine, but I wouldn't want to look like a rolling Electronic Billboard.:unsure:

Just to get it right:

Keith was joking....inmotion and solowheel got together as a company, and now the inmotion v8, which was completely produced by inmotion is now called the solowheel glide3, and costs 50% more just because it has a new name!  Led's can be powered off btw....

Solowheel is a joke of a company, the xtreme is as expensive as a GW Monster, but it just has 10% of its technical specs!!!

If you look in the wild, you will see the Xtreme as seldom as no other 18inch wheel, as it is expensive as hell and has the worse specs of all 18inch wheels on the market!  

yip....but it looks nice, thats correct :-)

11 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Just to get it right:

Keith was joking....inmotion and solowheel got together as a company, and now the inmotion v8, which was completely produced by inmotion is now called the solowheel glide3, and costs 50% more just because it has a new name!  Led's can be powered off btw....

Solowheel is a joke of a company, the xtreme is as expensive as a GW Monster, but it just has 10% of its technical specs!!!

If you look in the wild, you will see the Xtreme as seldom as no other 18inch wheel, as it is expensive as hell and has the worse specs of all 18inch wheels on the market!  

yip....but it looks nice, thats correct :-)

Thanks for telling me that - but Xtreme does have some noteworthy weight specs for an 18" - maybe that's why it performs so lousy?

Hmm, EUCs really need to move towards more advanced materials to improve ruggedness while keeping the weight down. IPS seems to have the right idea with their high-strength rigid magnesium alloy shell. Now we just need to see this used in a more powerful sportier model.

10 minutes ago, sanman said:

Thanks for telling me that - but Xtreme does have some noteworthy weight specs for an 18" - maybe that's why it performs so lousy?

Hmm, EUCs really need to move towards more advanced materials to improve ruggedness while keeping the weight down. IPS seems to have the right idea with their high-strength rigid magnesium alloy shell. Now we just need to see this used in a more powerful sportier model.

The problem with weight is...that for a certain amount of power you need a set number of cells!

That are about 64 cells for 840wh which wheight about 4kg.

That makes the most of the weight and can not be reduced nowadays! and yes...we are using the best cells with best weight/wh ratio....

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

The problem with weight is...that for a certain amount of power you need a set number of cells!

That are about 64 for 840wh which wheight about 7kg.

That makes the most of the weight and can not be reduced nowadays! and yes...we are using the best cells with best weight/wh ratio....

Ah, thank you - well, what about hub motor - can't that weight be reduced? 

It seems like battery+hubmotor make up most of the weight.

Plastics are light, but have poor abrasion characteristics. Maybe you need to use a hard coating on top of a plastic shell? The shell can be made of fiber-reinforced plastic for extra strength.

1 hour ago, sanman said:

Ah, thank you - well, what about hub motor - can't that weight be reduced? 

right, the hub motor is the heaviest part. The solution to the motor weight problem is to use a (very) small motor with the same power (but much lighter) and gearing or a cog wheel or a belt. Like the Solowheel Orbit. It will happen in future, but probably not anytime soon. Manufacturers are still in the mode to skim the market of customers (like me) who don't really need to care how much to pay, see InMotion as Solowheel. And judging from this forum, many of these are customers (not like me) care much less about weight than pretty much about anything else.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Looks like you'd have to make some pretty wide turns. 

It turns like typical hoverboards - look at the pedals there on the axle.
Think of it like hoverboard inverted, you can turn around at the same spot.

Archived