New 84v 1300wh ACM Received

Very excited tonight when I came home to a new Gotway box. Inside was my new whitewall 1300wh ACM. It's dark and cold outside so I just rode it up and down the street a couple of times, but WOW. I have about 800 miles on the earlier versions of the ACM, which was my favorite wheel. Now I don't know if it's my imagination (I don't think so), but the acceleration on this 84 volt version is mad. It feels scary fast, in a good way. I mean I thought the original ACM was a fast accelerator, but this is insane.

Can you tell that I'm happy with this purchase :clap3:

Tomorrow I'm taking it on a 20 mile beach ride (on the bike path, not sand), so I'll fully flush it out. But I'm excited. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations! The monster was not in the box though?

I'm surprised there's such a notable performance difference, didn't think it was that big, but happy for you (and me;)) to hear that.

Is the weight difference notable? Is the whine different? How did/will you sell your old ACM, any tips on that? (I'm asking in case I really want the 1600 lol)

Looking forward to the (possibly) upcoming video of your tour. The Venice beach video was neat.

40 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Congratulations! The monster was not in the box though?

I'm surprised there's such a notable performance difference, didn't think it was that big, but happy for you (and me;)) to hear that.

Is the weight difference notable? Is the whine different? How did/will you sell your old ACM, any tips on that? (I'm asking in case I really want the 1600 lol)

Looking forward to the (possibly) upcoming video of your tour. The Venice beach video was neat.

Yeah, it's a bummer that I have to wait for the Monster. It's due to arrive on Monday.

In absolute terms the performance difference might not be huge, but for an EUC it's very noticeable.

I didn't notice any difference in the whine. It does feel heavier, but not extraordinarily so. The older ACM was heavy so this feels right at home.

No beach video but I'll be taking this on our Beverly Hills group ride this Sunday. Video to follow.

I offered my old ACM to a fellow group rider ( @noisycarlos ) and he took it off my hands. I've sold two ACMs now but they've both been via word of mouth, so I don't have any advice to offer.

Thanks, good to hear the whine is no issue.

With the monster not in the box, you have 2 nice surprises instead of one. Better than only one.

Maybe the "sell it to a friend" trick is going to work for me too... well I think I should ride a EUC first before making any more plans. My ACM is currently sitting in Cologne... so excited.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, it's a bummer that I have to wait for the Monster. It's due to arrive on Monday.

In absolute terms the performance difference might not be huge, but for an EUC it's very noticeable.

I didn't notice any difference in the whine. It does feel heavier, but not extraordinarily so. The older ACM was heavy so this feels right at home.

No beach video but I'll be taking this on our Beverly Hills group ride this Sunday. Video to follow.

I offered my old ACM to a fellow group rider ( @noisycarlos ) and he took it off my hands. I've sold two ACMs now but they've both been via word of mouth, so I don't have any advice to offer.

Hy Marty,

congrats to your new ACM!!!  (Even if it is not a 1600wh ....:P...i am a bit envious ;-)...)

I really would appreciate to hear some more words about the difference in strength, power and acceleration/breaking in comparing to a 67Volt Version!

Perhaps on your next Group ride you are able to compare the 67/84 side by side?

Why i am asking?

I was even a bit angry that Gotway choose to bring out a 84Volt MSuper Version just about a month or two after realising the 820wh Version, which i bought.....because as an heavy european i would definitly have been waiting for the 1600wh Version....

Until now i always thought the most difference would have been a higer Speed...where i am not interested in! 35kmh is enough for me, everything higher than lets say 37 i found ridiculous uncomfortable and makes me nervous, perhaps as i experienced a 33-34kmh faceplant once and not interested in experience anything "harder" :-)

But what really interests my is a better acceleration and most important:braking....well, torque i guess :-)

and as i have no Chance for personal comparison, it would be great to hear from a experienced rider, who now allready has had some wheels!

This torque interest also goes for the Monster....so hope we hear/see more from you :-)

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

How did/will you sell your old ACM, any tips on that? (I'm asking in case I really want the 1600 lol)

From own experience i have to say, that selling a used EUC is not easy if you dont have others perhaps interested riders nearby, like Marty!

The most newbie riders would not choose such an expensive wheel and i had to learn that there are not so much EUC'lers in Germany, so no real demand market...

Because of that it was important that your choice was such a good one!!!

You can be sure that other from a Little bit more range there is no difference between the 1300wh(real math: 1287wh)  and the 1600 (real math: 1554wh)!

No difference in power, no difference in Shell or weight or motherboard etc!!! Just a bit more range, because of using a different Batteriecell (3500mah instead of 2900mah)! But even same number of cells-120!

Awesome! Some questions: How much was it, how much does it weigh, and where did you buy it from? Link us please! This sounds like something I might want to buy... Currently looking at ACMs and wanting to pull the trigger soon... :) So I hope you give it a favorable review!

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Hy Marty,

congrats to your new ACM!!!  (Even if it is not a 1600wh ....:P...i am a bit envious ;-)...)

I really would appreciate to hear some more words about the difference in strength, power and acceleration/breaking in comparing to a 67Volt Version!

Perhaps on your next Group ride you are able to compare the 67/84 side by side?

Why i am asking?

I was even a bit angry that Gotway choose to bring out a 84Volt MSuper Version just about a month or two after realising the 820wh Version, which i bought.....because as an heavy european i would definitly have been waiting for the 1600wh Version....

Until now i always thought the most difference would have been a higer Speed...where i am not interested in! 35kmh is enough for me, everything higher than lets say 37 i found ridiculous uncomfortable and makes me nervous, perhaps as i experienced a 33-34kmh faceplant once and not interested in experience anything "harder" :-)

But what really interests my is a better acceleration and most important:braking....well, torque i guess :-)

and as i have no Chance for personal comparison, it would be great to hear from a experienced rider, who now allready has had some wheels!

This torque interest also goes for the Monster....so hope we hear/see more from you :-)

Thanks!

It is frustrating that when you buy a wheel (or any piece of technology) a short time later a newer version comes out. Like you I bought the MSuper and then discover the 84 volt 1600wh version comes out, which I would have bought. Fortunately the difference between the even newer 1600wh version and my 1300wh ACM is not large enough to make me upset at my decision to buy.

@noisycarlos will be riding his (my previous) ACM this Sunday so we should be able to due some side-by-side comparisons. I want to confirm my subjective observations made above. @jrkline will probably be riding his ACM too, so we'll have at least three people who can each judge the difference. So I'll be sure to let everyone know what the consensus is in terms of handling differences.

I'm with you regarding the speed. I'm not much interested in going faster than 35kmh, but torque and acceleration really peaks my interest.

Oh, I may bring my MSuper (820wh) to compare it against @swvision's 1600wh MSuper - in terms of acceleration/breaking.

2 hours ago, Souleye said:

Awesome! Some questions: How much was it, how much does it weigh, and where did you buy it from? Link us please! This sounds like something I might want to buy... Currently looking at ACMs and wanting to pull the trigger soon... :) So I hope you give it a favorable review!

I bought it from Speedyfeet - he's the only one that I could find that has it in stock. I bought my older MSuper from him and my Monster too. Ian's a very reliable seller and an all around nice guy. And very fast. I bought it last Wednesday (18th) and it arrived on Tuesday (24th). From England to Los Angeles. The MSuper shipped really fast too. If Ian has it in stock you'll get it quick.

Your questions can be answered at his website. The ACM has always been my favorite wheel, so I think you'll be very happy if you buy one. Good luck.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks!

It is frustrating that when you buy a wheel (or any piece of technology) a short time later a newer version comes out. Like you I bought the MSuper and then discover the 84 volt 1600wh version comes out, which I would have bought. Fortunately the difference between the even newer 1600wh version and my 1300wh ACM is not large enough to make me upset at my decision to buy.

@noisycarlos will be riding his (my previous) ACM this Sunday so we should be able to due some side-by-side comparisons. I want to confirm my subjective observations made above. @jrkline will probably be riding his ACM too, so we'll have at least three people who can each judge the difference. So I'll be sure to let everyone know what the consensus is in terms of handling differences.

I'm with you regarding the speed. I'm not much interested in going faster than 35kmh, but torque and acceleration really peaks my interest.

Oh, I may bring my MSuper (820wh) to compare it against @swvision's 1600wh MSuper - in terms of acceleration/breaking.

Appreciate your answer and been looking forward to your experience :-)

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Very excited tonight when I came home to a new Gotway box. Inside was my new whitewall 1300wh ACM.

Darn you Marty! How do I explain this to my wife? I just told her about the V8. No dog house treatment...just an angry glare :furious:(not pretty!) Since hearing about your new 1300wh ACM...congratulations by the way!!...I decided to shoot over to Aliexpress. Bad mistake....the ACM yelled out my name! UGH!

FYI..I may be selling the V8 in the near future. 

Could one simply get the 1600 Wh battery pack for the ACM and exchange the batteries? Just in theory;) That should be a possibility if you really want that extra battery but cannot sell the wheel, right? Does anyone sell the batteries (or do you have to have someone build you a custom one for $$$$$$$)?

@Rehab1Don't forget there's the 1600 Wh version lol (see KingSong69's links):P

There's really no downside to bigger wheels except the price (and maybe weight) so I fully understand the urge to upgrade. The V8 is much nicer overall though (app, handle, design, weight, etc...)

35 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Could one simply get the 1600 Wh battery pack for the ACM and exchange the batteries? Just in theory;) That should be a possibility if you really want that extra battery but cannot sell the wheel, right? Does anyone sell the batteries (or do you have to have someone build you a custom one for $$$$$$$)?

@Rehab1Don't forget there's the 1600 Wh version lol (see KingSong69's links):P

There's really no downside to bigger wheels except the price (and maybe weight) so I fully understand the urge to upgrade. The V8 is much nicer overall though (app, handle, design, weight, etc...)

just a hint: a 340wh pack costs you about 250euro in germany....

the batteries are the expensivest part of the EUC...so "just" changing....is more than a new one...

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Rehab1Don't forget there's the 1600 Wh version lol (see KingSong69's links)

I vaccinated back and forth between the 1300Wh and 1600Wh. I went with the 1300Wh thinking I might survive a crash with less speed :)

Just returned from my first ride, about 25 miles along the beach. Fairly aggressive riding with a strong ocean wind. 50% battery remaining. It looks like this is going to give me a reliable 45 to 50 mile range under my normal riding conditions (my riding weight is ~170 pounds). So I'm really happy with that. I'll do a dedicated range ride in the near future, but I need a 3 to 4 hour chunk of time :)

I'm going to use my Monster for the epic (long) rides, so buying the 1600wh version instead of my 1300wh model for more range isn't a big consideration for me. With this ACM I think I can make any reasonable ride that I want to now without having to always peek at my battery level. This is all good. @Rehab1, I think you'll love the 1300wh version.

This model is wider then I anticipated. I assumed it would probably feel like my 820wh MSuper, but it's probably 1+ inch wider :o  The good news is after 1/2 hour of riding I never thought about it again. So it's not uncomfortably wide. An unanticipated benifit of the extra width is the wheel now feels more agile. I think this makes sense if you think of it as  a triangle between your knees and the tire - the wider chassis provides more leverage when turning. I'm not sure if my analogy is clear or even makes sense, but the bottom line is the new ACM is more maneuverable, IMO.

It's heavier and the affect of this is it feels even more stable than the older ACM, IMO.

Acceleration. I'll say it again, WOW. After 25 miles I can say without  a doubt that this wheel is amazingly responsive now. Whether I'm going 5mph or 15mph when I push for more speed it responds instantly and smoothly. Today I never pushed it beyond ~22mph and throughout that entire range it showed instantaneous power. Acceleration is stronger than the older ACM! The whole effect is that the ACM feels even more like a muscle car from 80's. Hard breaking was also very effective - no sluggishness here.

This new wheel is a win, win, win for me. Better acceleration & breaking, more agile, and almost double the range. The only negatives that come to mind is the extra weight and wider stance, but for me these aren't negatives.

I'll be testing its handling in the mountains this weekend.

@Marty BackeDo you think the power is more noticeable going from a 67v to an 84v ACM than say going from a 67v to an 84v Msuper V3 due to the diameter of the wheel? When you and @noisycarlos tested my msuper v3s+ neither of you noticed a difference. I think it's because of the extra 2 inches in diameter; it could be harder for a larger diameter to accelerate as fast because it requires more centrifugal force to get the wheel into motion. 

13 minutes ago, swvision said:

@Marty BackeDo you think the power is more noticeable going from a 67v to an 84v ACM than say going from a 67v to an 84v Msuper V3 due to the diameter of the wheel? When you and @noisycarlos tested my msuper v3s+ neither of you noticed a difference. I think it's because of the extra 2 inches in diameter; it could be harder for a larger diameter to accelerate as fast because it requires more centrifugal force to get the wheel into motion. 

I can't speak for Carlos, I rode your MSuper very little. At the time I was more interested in how wide it felt compared to my MSuper. I didn't push the acceleration, plus where we were, there is a big incline. If we have time on Sunday I'd like us to compare the MSuper's a bit more, on flat ground. I think yours will be faster.

I think the ACM always accelerated better than the MSuper, probably because of the smaller wheel, as you infer above. Another reason that I think the ACM is best all around wheel. I'm afraid to try your MSuper again because it might force me to sell mine and upgrade :unsure:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

This model is wider then I anticipated. I assumed it would probably feel like my 820wh MSuper, but it's probably 1+ inch wider :o  

Ugh...this might be an issue for me! I have pain on the medial aspect of my knees after long rides. Bowing my knees further outward into varus may not be comfortable. :( Wished I lived in CA to try your ACM out!

What is the width of the ACM at the superior aspect of the shin pads? 

10 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Ugh...this might be an issue for me! I have pain on the medial aspect of my knees after long rides. Bowing my knees further outward into varus may not be comfortable. :( Wished I lived in CA to try your ACM out!

I probably should remember, but what wheels do ride right now?

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I probably should remember, but what wheels do ride right now?

V5F+ and V8.

10 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

V5F+ and V8.

Hmmm. Even the original ACM would probably feel wide to you. Those are svelte models. I've ridden the V8 (which was a nice ride) and it felt like a thin wheel. All of these wheels that have lots of batteries are unfortunately going to be wide.

It really wouldn't be that much work to tape some stiff foam (foam board from the big box store) to one of your wheels to simulate the width of an ACM. Ride for some distance and see if it makes a practical difference compared to what you have now.

I'll make a measurement tonight.

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It really wouldn't be that much work to tape some stiff foam (foam board from the big box store) to one of your wheels to simulate the width of an ACM. Ride for some distance and see if it makes a practical difference compared to what you have now.

We think alike:) 

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Many thanks! I may cancel the order until I do a test ride with the simulated width on the V8.

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Many thanks! I may cancel the order until I do a test ride with the simulated width on the V8.

The measurement is 8-1/2 inches. Interesting that it's almost 2 inches wider than my MSuper V3

Archived