High Gloss Tire Shine For Better Traction

swvision

I just applied Meguiar's High Gloss tire shine to the inside portion of the tires where the tire doesnt actually make contact with the road in hopes that it will wick away water better and give me more traction on wet roads. I'll be testing it soon and report back.

IMG_20170120_184156[1].jpg

update:

Acceleration improved 15-25% even on dry asphalt

better traction and acceleration on wet surfaces.

The reason I think there was a better improvement overall is probably because of wind resistance between the tire cracks. So if the portion that doesn't actually touch the ground inside the surface of the tire is smooth, then it stands to reason that the air will pass over it faster making the wheel spin with less resistance. 

If someone else can try this, please let me know if you feel a difference in acceleration or traction on wet or dry ground.

On 1/20/2017 at 9:50 PM, swvision said:

better traction and acceleration on wet surfaces

Unfortunately I don't think applying dressing to the sidewall will have any effect on traction and acceleration on wet surfaces.

This can be a cool idea for "detailing" EUCs. I actually thought of this briefly recently when I was wiping down one of my wheels with a damp cloth. I noticed how much nicer it looked with the layer of dust removed, including the tire! At that time I thought of the possibility of applying dressing to the tire and possibly some kind of wax to the shell, but I forgot about it until seeing this post. One thing I definitely decided though, was to clean my EUCs more often, because they look much nicer without the layer of dirt and dust buildup.

On 1/20/2017 at 6:50 PM, swvision said:

Acceleration improved 15-25% even on dry asphalt

better traction and acceleration on wet surfaces.

The reason I think there was a better improvement overall is probably because of wind resistance between the tire cracks. So if the portion that doesn't actually touch the ground inside the surface of the tire is smooth, then it stands to reason that the air will pass over it faster making the wheel spin with less resistance.

I'm going to have to call bullsh*t on the wind resistance thing.  I suspect the difference of wind resistance due to a tire coating would by physically unmeasurable unless you were simulating speeds well in excess of 70 mph.

However I KNOW that my car goes MUCH faster after I wash it!  Let's face it, the car is happier, and the driver can tell.  I suspect that detailing your wheel resulted in the same type of performance improvement.  :)

11 minutes ago, JimB said:

However I KNOW that my car goes MUCH faster after I wash it!  Let's face it, the car is happier, and the driver can tell.  I suspect that detailing your wheel resulted in the same type of performance improvement.  :)

I think that's what i experienced. It just felt fast, really fast.

3 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

wiping down one of my wheels with a damp cloth.

@MaxLinux I just read the owner's manual for the Ninebot S1 and it recommended using toothpaste and a toothbrush for cleaning the wheel.  Seems like it would work.

But a damp cloth works great also, I have never cleaned my wheel till now, but damp cloth does bring it back almost to new.

The reason I brought up the Ninebot owner's manual is that when I went riding today the Ninebot app said a new version was available so I downloaded it and one of the new things in the app is the owners manual for the S1 and FAQ's for the MiniPro.  The owners manual was written in clear English, but the FAQ section for the MiniPro was obviously translated from Chinese.  Still it gave a lot of insight about overlean shutoff, it said any wheel will cutoff when overleaned and the wheel cannot provide enough power.  But it also said that Ninebot BMS will not cut off to protect the battery.  It said they are programmed to protect the rider first, not the wheel, but if the wheel is overleaned it cannot keep up, that is the rider's fault.

It also warned about tiltback, the warning was not to accelerate so fast as to hit a strong tiltback that could throw the rider off.

All in all, it seems that Ninebot is as safe if not safer than any other wheel, but I would like to try an Inmotion, a Gotway, a Kingsong, and an IPS.

If I win the lottery, I will.<_<  But in the meantime, it's good to read other people's opinions on these things.:)

Archived