Airless Bike Tires on EUCs

swvision

3 hours ago, swvision said:

Something like this would be great for EUCs.

Very cool. I still hope that I don't get to experience an EUC flat. Fortunately they seem to be rare events.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

After viewing the video I followed a few links and found this:  Stop-A-Flat

It's the perfect size for the ACM. Hmmm

One of the Amazon reviews was from someone who tried it on an electric hub bike, and said it wouldn't hold his weight (80kg) and had very high rolling resistance. I'd think it would be even worse on an EUC, where one wheel has to bear your entire weight. 

But, I'm only making assumptions here -- you could try it out and report your results!

8 minutes ago, dbfrese said:

One of the Amazon reviews was from someone who tried it on an electric hub bike, and said it wouldn't hold his weight (80kg) and had very high rolling resistance. I'd think it would be even worse on an EUC, where one wheel has to bear your entire weight. 

But, I'm only making assumptions here -- you could try it out and report your results!

It's tempting if not for the relative difficulty of changing a tube. For now I'll stick with Slime.

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's tempting if not for the relative difficulty of changing a tube. For now I'll stick with Slime.

I've had good luck with slime. I just changed my tire and inner tube after about a year of use, but I'm in the desert and thorns are a constant threat. I think 10 or 11 months in this environment is not bad at all, and I think slime helped extend the life of the tube. It certainly kept me from having to air it up as often.

My tire didn't necessarily need changing too, I just decided to do it anyway since I had to take it apart halfway (it's a Ninebot One), and I wanted to try out a more aggressive tread pattern.

+1 for Slime, first time using it last week.

Got a flat on my V5 after about 6 months in on the stock inner tube. Was skeptical at first, but worked pretty well, better than I thought.

I know eventually I need to patch the inner tube or change, but in a pinch, works great!

4 hours ago, dbfrese said:

My tire didn't necessarily need changing too, I just decided to do it anyway since I had to take it apart halfway (it's a Ninebot One), and I wanted to try out a more aggressive tread pattern.

How does the different tire feel?  Is it the same width as the original or did you get a wider tire?  Just wondering how wide you can put on a Ninebot, like will a tire from Gotway ACM fit.

12 hours ago, steve454 said:

How does the different tire feel?  Is it the same width as the original or did you get a wider tire?

The tire is the same width as the original, 2.125". I got it on ebay.  I've only ridden it for 10 miles or so, but it seems to ride smoothly, but gives a more solid feel on gravel surfaces. 

5 hours ago, dbfrese said:

The tire is the same width as the original, 1.125". I got it on ebay.  I've only ridden it for 10 miles or so, but it seems to ride smoothly, but gives a more solid feel on gravel surfaces. 

Thanks, good to know, and thanks for the link.

1 minute ago, dbfrese said:

I see I mis-typed the tire width. I corrected in my original answer. It should be 2.125"

Thanks, I figured that you did.  That is still wider than my ninebot came with at 1.195, but not by much.  I wonder if an Lhotz wide tire would fit.

Archived