I actually like that my MiniPro only charges to 80% with the supplied charger (if that is in fact the case and if it is in fact a longevity design choice) as it will extend my battery's lifetime.  But I think I'll buy a 63v charger and only use it when I'm planning a long trip and need those extra 5km or so.  Segway have not replied yet.  It's frustrating dealing with tech support staff who don't have sufficient knowledge of the product they are supporting.  I had a similar experience with Sony once, when a laptop under warranty developed a faulty USB port (it only worked if I put pressure on the plug and wiggled it) and the tech support rep told me it was a software issue and made me go through a very long winded updating and reinstalling process that was total nonsense. Then they refused to cover the warranty because, as they claimed, USB port faults are cosmetic issues and cosmetic problems are not covered by warranty.  The laptop developed a motherboard failure just after the warranty expired anyway.  I have never bought a Sony product since.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

I want to get another one and charge it to 105% every day too :D

If you do somehow manage to charge it to 105% be sure to record a video and post it here.  I like fireworks!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest response from Segway:

As stated the known BMS issue will be corrected in a future firmware update. The engineers state it should be released shortly. I will notify you once the firmware update has been released.

It's frustrating being repeatedly ignored and being given this canned response instead. 

I wish I could deal with another rep who actually knows how these things work. 

No matter how many times I tell him that the charger does not have upgradeable firmware and that the voltage will not change, he just responds with "a firmware update is coming soon". What's the point of having tech support staff who don't even have a basic understanding of electronics? Do these guys think firmware updates can fix flat tires too? 

Edited by RooMiniPro
  • Upvote 1

The thing is, it seems that no matter who's MiniPro we pick, we can charge it to 4800 or 5700 just by using a lower or higher voltage charger, regardless of the firmware version.  How is a firmware update going to change that?  And if the firmware forced everyone's to only charge to 4800, how would it do that?  The non-American chargers are putting in 63v which charges these batteries to 5800.  The only way the firmware could change this is if it told the BMS to convert the input voltage to around 59v.  Is the BMS capable of changing voltages via software instruction?  I have never had any BMS that can do that, but that's not to say it's impossible.  I think the rep I'm dealing with is just ignorant, lying, or not knowledgeable about this product.  Maybe I'm wrong but I will be very surprised if after this promised update comes, my fully charged battery voltage goes from its current 59v to the 63v that would equate to a fully charged battery.     

Regarding the chargers:

i watch a video on YouTube this morning where someone simply charged a Mini Pro Battery with a Mini's charger and they got the 5700 charge.  Since we know the Mini and Mini Pro's are identical in many ways; Do you think it is simply Ninebot's way of making the Mini Pro "North American" safe they we are restricted to the 89% charge? 

• Upvote 1

Yeah the 63v chargers will charge them fully, to 5700mah.  Throughout this thread we have been trying to figure out why there are different chargers for different regions and why Segway have decided to limit North Americans to chargers that only let us charge to 80%.  It could be a safety decision, a battery lifetime extension decision, or something else.  I have repeatedly asked Segway for an answer and got nothing but useless responses that avoid the question entirely. 

On 05/04/2017 at 11:26 AM, esaj said:

Or the aftermarket charger overcharges the cells to above safe voltages. Can anyone check the output ("open circuit") voltage of the aftermarket charger and compare it to the stock charger?

THEORETICAL OUTPUT VOLTAGE FOR 3 MODELS OF 9B CHARGER :

58f56b694d8b9_9bCHARGERCOMPARE.thumb.jpg.1d3a8baf431947470fabb492ee947167.jpg

AND REAL OUTPUT VOLTAGE I HAVE MEASURED :

58f56b6a8bde0_9bCHARGEROUTPUTCOMPARE.thumb.jpg.32fa08edad91a9079ab292722cecdb2e.jpg

ALL REAL VOLTAGE FROM ALL NINEBOT CHARGER ARE CLOSE TO 63V AND ALLOW A FULL CHARGE FOR ANY BATTERY CAPACITY

Edited by smallexis
  • Upvote 2

On 06/04/2017 at 4:20 AM, RooMiniPro said:

Do buyers in Europe receive the 63v chargers?

yes

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

WHAT NORTH AMERICAN TOWN DO YOU LIVE IN, SMALLEXIS?

I live in France

• Upvote 1

On 06/04/2017 at 2:52 AM, kasenutty said:

image.jpg

Did you take the measurement of the output voltage for this charger?

17 minutes ago, smallexis said:

THEORETICAL OUTPUT VOLTAGE FOR 3 MODELS OF 9B CHARGER :

58f56b694d8b9_9bCHARGERCOMPARE.thumb.jpg.1d3a8baf431947470fabb492ee947167.jpg

AND REAL OUTPUT VOLTAGE I HAVE MEASURED :

58f56b6a8bde0_9bCHARGEROUTPUTCOMPARE.thumb.jpg.32fa08edad91a9079ab292722cecdb2e.jpg

ALL REAL VOLTAGE FROM ALL NINEBOT CHARGER ARE CLOSE TO 63V AND ALLOW A FULL CHARGE FOR ANY BATTERY CAPACITY

No, mine is only 59.7v. Pic attached.

IMG_7229.JPG

• Upvote 2

I found that for my 84V chargers the CD displays 85.1V without load. The final charge voltage displayed is however 84.1V. Just trying to still complicate the issue a little bit. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RooMiniPro said:

No, mine is only 59.7v. Pic attached.

IMG_7229.JPG

OK I would said when output voltage is written 61V or 63V, the real output is always 63V.

In your case, output voltage is written 59,5V and it's the real output you can measure.  I really don't understand why NINEBOT do that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, smallexis said:

OK I would said when output voltage is written 61V or 63V, the real output is always 63V.

In your case, output voltage is written 59,5V and it's the real output you can measure.  I really don't understand why NINEBOT do that.

I have the same charger as in Kasenutty's photo. The stated voltage is 59.5v and the actual voltage is 59.7v. With this charger we can only get our batteries to 4800mah (80% approx.).

Edited by RooMiniPro
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, RooMiniPro said:

And during my beeper mod when I took my battery off I checked my MiniPro battery voltage when fully charged and it was slightly over 59v.

that confirm Firmware version is not the reason (or the problem). Only the charger is the matter.

• Upvote 3