3 minutes ago, smallexis said:

that confirm Firmware version is not the reason (or the problem). Only the charger is the matter.

Exactly. I strongly believe this to be true.  But Segway have dismissed my evidence and insist it is a firmware bug. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, RooMiniPro said:

Exactly. I strongly believe this to be true.  But Segway have dismissed my evidence and insist it is a firmware bug. 

Output voltage never lies, it's the only value you can measure and mAh capacity is calculated (on the app) from the voltage value (it's the same for remain capacity and milage).

• Upvote 2

solution is to look after a new charger 63V 2A

Edited by smallexis
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, smallexis said:

Do you want a cheap solution for a new charger 63V 2A?

you can buy this generic 63V charger : http://www.ebay.com/itm/272554252393?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

you have to replace original output plug by a GX12-4P plug : http://www.ebay.com/itm/GX12-4-12mm-4-Pin-Aviation-Plug-Male-Female-Wire-Panel-Metal-Connector-/152446622374?hash=item237e86daa6:g:sH0AAOSwkl5Xfu8n

and you need a power cable like this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Power-Supply-Adapter-Cord-Cable-Connectors-2-pin-2-prong-50cm-US-Plug-XA-/282294078150?hash=item41ba09cac6:g:f~8AAOSwFdtXxtwF

and for only a little bit more than $20 the result will be :

100_1529.JPG.8e1cc0e4ad8c946a539213c5e4da04c3.JPG

Are we safe in assuming that this is something you personally use to charge your own Mini? If yes how has it been working out for you?

6 hours ago, Pezman said:

Are we safe in assuming that this is something you personally use to charge your own Mini? If yes how has it been working out for you?

yes this charger works perfectly and I use it on my 9bmini or on my 9b1E + with my charge doctor.  output voltage is 62.8v according to my CD 3 ways. 

2 hours ago, Ozpeter said:

He'll tell you when he comes out of hospital.  :)

since more than one year, I charge only my ninebot products with no name charger without any problem.  I have sold original chargers and I have bought 3 généric chargers for a lower price than 1 original.

15 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Thanks for sharing your success with this charger.

I would recommend that anyone using these cheap generic chargers should not leave their devices charging unattended.

Do you think Ninebot original chargers are really better? or safer?

if yes please explain Why?

Just now, smallexis said:

Do you think Ninebot original chargers are really better? or safer?

if yes please explain Why?

I don't know if they are better. I do not own the cheap one to be able to test it and open it up to look inside. But I do know that my Ninebot charger is UL certified and classified as safe by North American safety standards and therefore more likely to be safer than the $18 generic charger from Ebay. When charging high capacity lithium batteries it's always better to be as safe as possible. My family and home are worth more to me than any electronic device.  And so when using cheap generic chargers it is a good idea to supervise them while in use.

If I may say, you seem a little defensive of this charger. Do you have financial connections to their sale?

3 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I believe there were some hoverboard fires that were caused by poor quality chargers.

A cheap price will not always say poor quality as where as high price is not always the symbol of a high quality. Sorry for you if you are not able to make this difference.

5 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I believe there were some hoverboard fires that were caused by poor quality chargers.

Without much of a background knowledge, why do you not believe it was the battery pack catching fire? To me it seems more likely that a cheap battery catches fire than a cheap charger. 

39 minutes ago, Pezman said:

Is it possible that a cheap charger could cause good batteries to go critical?

IHMO, "good" would include by definition to be protected against over- and undercharge (through the BMS). There might be technological limits to this though (e.g. to protection against over-voltage), but I am rather uninformed about these specific limitations.

charger protection is only due to a simple fuse. If there a problem with the charger, most of time the fuse burn and the charger is unable to work. That's why it's very complicate to start a fire with a charger.

A charger is forseen for one max output voltage, there is no possibility for the charger to give a higher output voltage, even if something is wrong with it.

The risk of fire is due to lithium battery. 

49 minutes ago, smallexis said:

charger protection is only due to a simple fuse. If there a problem with the charger, most of time the fuse burn and the charger is unable to work. That's why it's very complicate to start a fire with a charger.

A charger is forseen for one max output voltage, there is no possibility for the charger to give a higher output voltage, even if something is wrong with it.

The risk of fire is due to lithium battery. 

Right, but the question was, I guess, whether a cheap charger could initiate this battery fire whereas a better charger would not have.

Personally I don't charge my MP even with its Ninebot charger unattended.  For me, that happens not to be a problem, and it's a cost free precaution against the admittedly tiny chance of something going wrong.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Ozpeter said:

it's a cost free precaution

sitting in front of my MP and watching it while charging I wouldn't call exactly cost free, nor inserting a MP into my living room...

6 hours ago, smallexis said:

A cheap price will not always say poor quality as where as high price is not always the symbol of a high quality. Sorry for you if you are not able to make this difference.

I agree with the first sentence.  But again, you're being strangely defensive. My guess is that you sell these chargers.  Why does it matter so much to you if I choose to supervise the use of cheap non-UL certified chargers rather than leave them unattended? I haven't even said I won't buy a cheap generic charger, only that I would not leave it charging unattended.

I don't understand why you are now starting to criticise me personally. 

I used to run an electric skateboard business and I know a few things about lithium batteries and chargers, after building, maintaining and repairing lithium powered vehicles like this for a living, for several years. We had a fire in the warehouse that was caused by a failure during charging. And I know a guy whose garage burned down when he left a lithium pack charging unattended. There have also been several reported cases of house fires caused by malfunctioning hoverboards during charging. It was a significant enough concern that the UL certification was created. If you still have a problem with my advice to use cheap chargers under supervision you must have ulterior motives.

So I'll say it again; anyone leaving these cheap unbranded, uncertified $18 chargers charging unattented is taking a risk. I don't think anyone can honestly dispute that.

5 hours ago, Pezman said:

Is it possible that a cheap charger could cause good batteries to go critical?

A malfunctioning charger can cause even the best batteries to explode. If the charger overcharges the cells, fire is a very likely possibility.  A malfunctioning BMS can cause the cells to explode also. And poor quality cells can cause a fire too. Lithium cells are safest when being stored at storage voltage.  Fires are rare, but they happen. The greatest risk is when they are being charged or discharged. If the system charging the cells makes a booboo it can result in cell damage or fire.

I once owned a really cheap hobby charger for my RC models. I got rid of it when it started trying to charge my packs to 4.3+v. Not good.

Edited by RooMiniPro
  • Upvote 1