Ideas for the Perfect eWheel?

Jason McNeil

Second Stephen's idea of an integrated GPS tracker/logger. Another function this could serve is an accident blackbox, it might help ease the current unsatisfactory regulatory grayness, in that all the trip parameters (power, speed, location, incline) can be downloaded for examination help clear up questions like, 'at what speed was the rider going on the pedestrian access way?' 'did the power cut-out, or was it rider error', etc.... 

An integrated gps tracker/logger would be great. I am new to NYC and use my EU to explore the city and find cool new places. I use apps like map my walk but these apps do not overlay all the routes that I have taken. They only display individual routes which makes it cumbersome to look through. It would be nice if an EU gps tracking app could track and overlay all the roads I have been on so it would easily tell me parts of the city I haven't seen yet.

Without any revolution developments what would you like to see in the perfect eWheel. Here are some thoughts:

[...]  

• Weight: under 12kgs. If manufacturers can find a way to produce a motor/wheel/tire that weighs <7.5kg, this should be achievable—again, nothing revolutionary, just ~1.5kg shedding of weight from existing motor design, I'm reliably informed this is well within the realm of possibility. Remaining weight is: 3kg for the battery pack & 1.5kg the shell, control-board, wires ,etc.

A Gotway 14" with 340Wh battery weighs 11kg. In my books, the "perfect" wheel should definitely weigh much less. The Solowheel Orbit is announced with 4kg (and 100Wh battery). Adding to this a reasonably sized battery and some wishful thinking slack would make 8kg a realistic (though not perfect) target. 

I had started a glidewheel wishlist back in June. To have all comments in one place, below is a copy paste. Originally posted here:

Posted 14 June (edited)

I ride my wheel almost daily and often think about features I wish it  had and have been making a wish list in my head. I was curious what features other riders wish were standard features.

Wishlist
  1. Ability to turn off speed beeping
    Nothing is more annoying than the beeping when you are on a clear stretch and accelerate up to max speed and the wheel keeps beeping at you. I like that it's a safety feature, but I'd also like the ability to turn it off. 

2. Ignition key to lock wheel 
    Wheel security (theft deterrent) is an area that I think is significantly lacking across most wheels that I've seen. I live in New York City and need to be able to secure my wheel when I ride from home to another destination. An ignition key would be a great start! Anyone can take my wheel and glide away with it without the need of a key.

3. Mechanism to chain it up to a secure place (pole, bike rack, etc.)
    Another security feature. A major selling point of all wheels is their portability to lift and carry short distances which makes them easy targets for theft. Many wheels have a handle that can be used to secure to a pole with a cable, but some don't like the Ninebot One series. A built in cable would be amazing.

4. Storage solutions
    I need a place to store my cable to secure the wheel - or other small items I don't want to carry on my person and otherwise don't need to bring a backpack. This is less critical than other feature and could be solved with an aftermarket accessory, though I haven't seen one yet.

5. Braking (and headlamp) lights as standard features
    My Firewheel has these and I love it. I have been researching a second wheel to buy and wish more had this as a standard feature. 

6. Smartphone app as standard feature
    Another feature that more manufacturers are providing, but wish it was standard for all wheels. Being able to see the stats on my wheel's speed, battery life, etc. is an awesome feature. 

What else?

A while ago I started a poll on this kind of topic. Anyway here are my 2 cents.

USB charging port

Detachable batteries ( some brands already have them)

Light suspension for comfort ride

Remote control operation just like RC toy cars...so we attach a 24 can beer case and it drags it for us from our smart phone app. If that's too much, we can remotely roll it eliminating push bar

Calling home in case we face planted in a remote place, unconscious

User adjustable speed and tilt back when certain speed is reached

A charging cable just like for laptops, instead of funky 3 pin plug

A better water/dust proof casing to protect electronics

Built-in GPS

Ignore my GPS suggestion. I see others already suggested GPS.

[...]

Ignition key to lock wheel 
Wheel security (theft deterrent) is an area that I think is significantly lacking across most wheels that I've seen. I live in New York City and need to be able to secure my wheel when I ride from home to another destination. An ignition key would be a great start! Anyone can take my wheel and glide away with it without the need of a key.

I would be fine, or even prefer, a lock via the mobile app. It's likely to be cheaper and I don't need to carry yet another key.

I would be fine, or even prefer, a lock via the mobile app. It's likely to be cheaper and I don't need to carry yet another key.

@Nikolaus: Did you hear the "whooosh" sound as reality just cought up with your imagination? :D

Ninebot's "Ninedroid" app includes a lock mode:

ninedroid_marked.thumb.jpg.b462393cdd297

(red marking by me). When activated, the NB1 can't be switched on or off by the button on the wheel anymore, it starts shaking, beeping and blinking when moved and your phone vibrates on alarm as long as you are within bluetooth range. While that may not deter any committed criminal, it should work against the opportunity driven junkie on the lookout for anything valuable.

The lock mode consumes very little of your wheel's precious battery capacity - just make sure, your smartphone does not run out of juice while your wheel is locked :(

If we have a USB port, cell phone running out of juice is a solved issue (given the port still works with the lock on).

BTW: didn't hear the whooosh, but I am not surprised anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

@bleu9mm this Airwheel might be the one ;)

goodyear1000_1.jpg

As for features a perfect EUC needs:

I'd like to have a effective theft protection so I can leave the bot outside a shop. Something that you enable via App and disable with a unlock code either on the device or the app.

Great photo, where/how did you find it? For the physical security, solutions like a retractable reinforced steel cable would add too much to the eWheels weight. Maybe if the manufacturer designed an opening where a cable could run through the aluminum support arm. 

I ran into this pic on some social network for other reasons I cant remember, but it stuck in my mind because of their use of "Airwheel" When I saw it the first time i thought: "Hellooo lawsuit" :lol::lol:

There are more pictures if you google "Goodyear Airwheel"

Yeah the weight of a cable is a issue, thats why I thought a electronically controlled lock would be better. No-one wants to lug 14kg around without it being usable.

• 1 year later...

-       16inch

-       Max 12kg

-       Cruising speed 25Km/h

-       (real) range 30km (125Kg)

-       extractible handle bar

-       screw-on cap for charging port

-       big (long on the inside, up to US size 11), strong (no flex) pedals, perfectly flat (!, no gap in the middle) that can be covered with skate board tape

-       Swapable batteries (slide and click on the outside)

-       Smart charging; fast charging

-       Head up display device to monitor speed and warnings (no need for warning beeps)

-       tilt back levels, or even better tilt back response curve should be set by user

-       High mounted pedals, 100-115mm at least from the ground

-       RFID lock (prevents riding when RFID not detected, prevention of theft and accidents with little children)

-       USB charging port (for charging you cell phone, etc)

-       Induction charging dock

-       Theft prevention Security Cable (see laptops)

-       Cup-holder for beer (joke)

My perfect future wheel would have nothing else than pedals to stand on as well as needed remedies to make the wheel street legal, i.e. lights, reflexes and horn (with a dedicated remote horn button to have in my hand or hanging around my neck). (there must of course be a wheel and electronics, but I don't want to need to think about it)

In addition it would have some built in redundancy, or at least more robust design that prevents the situations one have today where wheels shut down to protect the electronics. Or shut down after having destroyed the electronics - or blown a fuse :P

Dashboards, HUDs, build in sub-woofer, sidestand, radar, bullbars, higway bars, built in drink cabinet, radio, a large voice shouting "Hello KingSong" whenever the wheel turns on, akrapovic titanium mufflers, speedometer,  towbar, wonderbaum, rev counter and turn signals? Nope! :D I just want to ride the wheel, not monitor it or operate functions on it.

Archived