My first electric unicycle - Inmotion V8 or something more "offroady"?

meepmeepmayer

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Marty Backe Thanks so much for your continuing input. Your comments really helped regarding the ACM whine and they show it's a great EUC overall. I'm still not fully decided (the V8 is just so nice too) but it's probably going to be the ACM V2 :wub:

@Marty Backe edit How long to load the ACM?

Off to looking at more youtube vdeos of the ACM and V8...

How long to 'load'? Do you mean charge it? If that's the question I'm not sure because I usually stick it on the charger and forget about it until I next wonder by the wheel.

Good luck with your decision. I just posted another MSuper & ACM ride video in the Video thread.

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I did see them, nice!  The Berlin shop seems good too.

The Berlin Shop is a bit more expensive in General....but yes, they are good, too...

Customer Service from electro-sport.de is top notch.....

If you want to save Money, you can go over a aliexpress order....where i know some reputable sellers (where i also bought my wheels from), too.

I have not driven the V8, but it is known as a good machine....but what i dont like is the "low" Batterie capacity!!!

For a EUC-newbie:

You have to know that you mostly will never drive your EUC to 0% Batterie...(for security reasons!) i for myself never go under 20%..and if you want a real, real Long Batterie life, you dont load it to 100%...the best is just to go to 80-90% for Batterie lifetime...so Keep that also in mind when making a decision!

Aaah: And more Watthour does not just mean more range! It also means more safety, as more watthours normally means more parallel Batterie Systems in the wheel, so less amperage for each System, so less stress for the batteries......

I would go for the ACM V2 and that as 820wh(Minimum) or better the 1300wh Version... (1300wh especially when you are very heavy!)

Forget about this wine Problem....you even dont hear it anymore after a time ....and it is not so loud as in some video's where the microphone is near the wheel!

17 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

The Berlin Shop is a bit more expensive in General....but yes, they are good, too...

Customer Service from electro-sport.de is top notch.....

If you want to save Money, you can go over a aliexpress order....where i know some reputable sellers (where i also bought my wheels from), too.

I have not driven the V8, but it is known as a good machine....but what i dont like is the "low" Batterie capacity!!!

For a EUC-newbie:

You have to know that you mostly will never drive your EUC to 0% Batterie...(for security reasons!) i for myself never go under 20%..and if you want a real, real Long Batterie life, you dont load it to 100%...the best is just to go to 80-90% for Batterie lifetime...so Keep that also in mind when making a decision!

Aaah: And more Watthour does not just mean more range! It also means more safety, as more watthours normally means more parallel Batterie Systems in the wheel, so less amperage for each System, so less stress for the batteries......

I would go for the ACM V2 and that as 820wh(Minimum) or better the 1300wh Version... (1300wh especially when you are very heavy!)

Forget about this wine Problem....you even dont hear it anymore after a time ....and it is not so loud as in some video's where the microphone is near the wheel!

I don't know if I personally would trust an ebay seller, but maybe they are ok. The two German shops are good though and there won't be any problems if something is wrong or breaks, replacement parts etc. so there's that.

Thanks for the battery info, this is good to know. Even with 820 Wh I'm, a little concerned how long that will hold out.

The whine, I'll have to deal with it. You and @Marty Backe calmed me down a lot about the issue.

--

Now I'm confused:

the difference between Gotway ACM and ACM V2 is the number of mosfets (6 vs 12)??? (more better against overheating)

Never seen an ACM V2 with 1300 Wh. I believe an ACM 1600 Wh is coming but it's not a V2? Or is 1600 Wh some msuper variant?

The shops only sell 680 and 828 Wh of ACM V2.

What is this, for example: http://airwheel-eu.com/gotway-acm-3-16-1300wh-12-mosfets-35km-h-130km/p-207379c999

All these Gotway/ACM models are confusing, what's the deal with that?

I don't want to buy and then regret not waiting a month for a model I would rather have taken, or some other dumb mistake.

(Maybe I better ask these in the Gotway forum?)

--

Also, any idea what 1600 Wh would cost? I'm already at 1500 moneys so I might as well go for the crrrrrrraaaaaaaaaazy option (depending on price).

--

Thanks to everyone not annoyed with this thread yet:P

I don't know if I personally would trust an ebay seller, but maybe they are ok. The two German shops are good though and there won't be any problems if something is wrong or breaks, replacement parts etc. so there's that.

Thanks for the battery info, this is good to know. Even with 820 Wh I'm, a little concerned how long that will hold out.

The whine, I'll have to deal with it. You and @Marty Backe calmed me down a lot about the issue.

--

Now I'm confused:

the difference between Gotway ACM and ACM V2 is the number of mosfets (6 vs 12)??? (more better against overheating)

Never seen an ACM V2 with 1300 Wh. I believe an ACM 1600 Wh is coming but it's not a V2? Or is 1600 Wh some msuper variant?

The shops only sell 680 and 828 Wh of ACM V2.

What is this, for example: http://airwheel-eu.com/gotway-acm-3-16-1300wh-12-mosfets-35km-h-130km/p-207379c999

All these Gotway/ACM models are confusing, what's the deal with that?

I don't want to buy and then regret not waiting a month for a model I would rather have taken, or some other dumb mistake.

(Maybe I better ask these in the Gotway forum?)

--

Also, any idea what 1600 Wh would cost? I'm already at 1500 moneys so I might as well go for the crrrrrrraaaaaaaaaazy option (depending on price).

--

Thanks to everyone not annoyed with this thread yet:P

I just bought an ACM V2s 1300wh from Speedyfeet, so they exist for sure.  Once you've been around all of these wheels for awhile, the naming conventions and numbers start to make sense.

For the ACM, V2 designates the change to 12 mosfets. For the MSuper V1, V2, and V3 refer to the versions, each one being physically different from the previous.

There is always going to be a better wheel just around the corner. EUCs are no different than other product categories. It's best not to always chase the latest, but buy what you want now and let the future work itself out.

I just rode my ACM V2 (820wh) for 23 miles along the beach fighting some pretty strong winds. Battery was at ~25% no load (<15% under load). Temperature was in the low 50's and my riding weight is 170 pounds. Most of my riding is in 70+ degree weather and I've been getting a reliable 30+ miles from the ACM. Colder temperatures and strong winds will reduce it.

look here for the existing versions:

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle

Unfortunatly the german shops dont have the 84Volt versions(1300,1600wh)...and i read somewhere they dont get them in the forseeable future...

speedyfeet is higly reputated...

but btw: buying on aliexpress is one of the safest options...

the seller gets the money only after you confirmed the good/product to be received!

called buyer protection...i for my part have been happy with my two wheels from there.

but i regret: for a first time Euc with less to none technical knowledge it is always better to have a good warranty partner....

so if you you want a stronger ACM....i would definitely vote for speedyfeet!

1 hour ago, nomad said:

680Wh (67.2V):
four 16-packs of 2900mAh cells

820Wh (67.2V):
four 16-packs of 3500mAh cells

1300Wh (84V +25% speed):
six 20-packs of 2900mAh cells

1600Wh (84V +25% speed):
six 20-packs of 3500mAh cells

Good to know, thanks! So the higher versions are even more powerful. Do I even want that? ^_^

Is there anything to know about the difference between 2900mAh and 3500 mAh batteries (loading time, longetivity, whatnot) or is that merely technical specification and you wouldn't know the difference from the outside?

@Marty Backe Thank you for the continuing information. So anything that explicitly says 12 mosfets means ACM V2. This confused me, I wondered why there were no higher capacity ACM V2s when there were ACMs.

The speedyfeet.co.uk website does not mention 12 mfets tough:P so I hope you're lucky (and me too, would order from them if I take the 1300) and it's 12.

The 1300 looks different in the pictures too (metallic sideplates instead of all black-ish) I wonder why. Must be a secret of the Chinese factories and whatever goes on there. I actually like that (the color). And the price is only 100 more which seems like a no brainer.

Also very good to hear your performance data. I can't say I know what I'm going to do with the EUC because I never even tried one. But if I'm using it that would most likely be for hours instead of something like 30 min rides, that's for sure. And my guess is, if I'm going battery-eating mountains (not sure if that will turn out to be the most fun thing to do with an EUC) then higher capacity battery will make a difference between "can I do this?" and not even thinking about it. You went higher too in the end and I take that as a good sign, your long tour videos are inspiring.

I will do some weight tests to get a feel for how much the different versions weigh, I don't want this thing to get too heavy.

edit: danke! @KingSong69 yea for so much money a good return/warranty/repair partner is quite important. And their yt videos are very good.

42 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Oh dear, might the 84V versions whine louder/more? Just thought of that...

I'll have one in a couple of days - I'll let you know.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

e 1300 looks different in the pictures too (metallic sideplates instead of all black-ish) I wonder why. Must be a secret of the Chinese factories and whatever goes on there. I actually like that (the color). And the price is only 100 more which seems like a no brainer.

The sideplates of the 84 Volt versions are white!

and they are just a bit wider, because more space is needed for the more batteries

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

The sideplates of the 84 Volt versions are white!

and they are just a bit wider, because more space is needed for the more batteries

That is a consideration. I find the ACM to be too wide already (680wh version). It's my favorite wheel, but not as comfortable to ride as the Ninebot and I think that's due to the width. I definitely wouldn't want it any wider. 

1 hour ago, Shoe73 said:

That is a consideration. I find the ACM to be too wide already (680wh version). It's my favorite wheel, but not as comfortable to ride as the Ninebot and I think that's due to the width. I definitely wouldn't want it any wider. 

It is just about  a bit more than 1cm wider at each side.....if you want you can better this Situation like i have done on my "wider" MSuper with not using the original rubber sidepads, and just using Standard foam....look here:

If You use the Standard foam instead of the the thick original rubber i would guess it is just a Little tiny bit wider.....

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'll have one in a couple of days - I'll let you know.

When would that be? You mentioned 2 day shipping in some other thread (forgot which one) so will you get it soon? I would maybe wait for your opinion if it's not too long.

8 hours ago, Shoe73 said:

I instinctively liked the Inmotion V8 because it was relatively narrow, so this is good to know (will most likely go ACM though for battery capacity considerations).

Why is the ACM your favorite?

Can you describe what it is you like more about narrow wheels? Are you standing more naturally? How tall are you (if I may ask)?

@KingSong69 Are you a distributor or something? You know so many details + you do modding:thumbup:

Good to know they are slightly different shells.

When would that be? You mentioned 2 day shipping in some other thread (forgot which one) so will you get it soon? I would maybe wait for your opinion if it's not too long.

<snip>

2 day shipping turned out to be a bit of false advertising :-( But I have a tracking number so I'll have the wheel on the 26th for some testing on that weekend. Since the motor is the same across the different ACMs I can't believe that it'll be louder. I have the MSuper V3 and last weekend I rode along @swvision who has the V3s+ (84 volt model). I didn't do a test but nothing jumped out at me.

Two MSuper's and an ACM were cruising all over the place and not once did I even think about noise from the motors. You can hear the whine from the Gotway & Kingsong (and others?) motors if you are listening for it. But if you're just riding the wheel whatever noise is there fades to the background and you just don't think about it. A car has an engine noise, but you don't think about that as you're driving about.

You should try and meet up with @KingSong69 so you can hear it for yourself. I fear that you are experiencing paralysis by analysis :cry2:

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

2 day shipping turned out to be a bit of false advertising :-( But I have a tracking number so I'll have the wheel on the 26th for some testing on that weekend. Since the motor is the same across the different ACMs I can't believe that it'll be louder. I have the MSuper V3 and last weekend I rode along @swvision who has the V3s+ (84 volt model). I didn't do a test but nothing jumped out at me.

Two MSuper's and an ACM were cruising all over the place and not once did I even think about noise from the motors. You can hear the whine from the Gotway & Kingsong (and others?) motors if you are listening for it. But if you're just riding the wheel whatever noise is there fades to the background and you just don't think about it. A car has an engine noise, but you don't think about that as you're driving about.

You should try and meet up with @KingSong69 so you can hear it for yourself. I fear that you are experiencing paralysis by analysis :cry2:

Ok the motor argument makes sense, you convinced me. If the motor is the same and the noise is the motor tuning, then bigger battery won't change anything.

Going to ask the speedyfeet guys if theirs is definitely the V2 version and then I'm going to order the 1300.

Thanks so much for all your info! The same applies to everyone else, especially @KingSong69. Let's see where this goes:w00t2:

Ok the motor argument makes sense, you convinced me. If the motor is the same and the noise is the motor tuning, then bigger battery won't change anything.

Going to ask the speedyfeet guys if theirs is definitely the V2 version and then I'm going to order the 1300.

Thanks so much for all your info! The same applies to everyone else, especially @KingSong69. Let's see where this goes:w00t2:

Congrats on moving forward. Ian can confirm for you, but except for the first version of the ACM, all Gotway 1500+ watt motors now use 12 mosfets so that they run cooler.

Be sure to let us know your progress with the wheel after you get it.

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

This are all the "V2" Versions.....V1 Version with 6 Mosfets was only sold in the very first time of ACM....84Volt Versions where never build with only 6 Mosfets!

You should just do the step and order one....

You will Forget about that Little "whine" very soon....your biggest Problem will be to learn to drive ;-)

Get some bumper tape to protect your first wheel....you will Need it

Just kidding....

19 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

This are all the "V2" Versions.....V1 Version with 6 Mosfets was only sold in the very first time of ACM....84Volt Versions where never build with only 6 Mosfets!

You know everything lol:clap3:Very helpful, didnt even have to ask the speedyfeet guys.

19 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

You will Forget about that Little "whine" very soon....your biggest Problem will be to learn to drive ;-)

Get some bumper tape to protect your first wheel....you will Need it

Just kidding....

Yea, now reality will collide with whatever came before that.

--

Welp here we go (see picture). I had cold feet at first, but now they're going to be speedy feet;)

acm.jpg

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You know everything lol:clap3:Very helpful, didnt even have to ask the speedyfeet guys.

Yea, now reality will collide with whatever came before that.

--

Welp here we go (see picture). I had cold feet at first, but now they're going to be speedy feet;)

acm.jpg

Very good choice!!!! Both: wheel and seller!

Aaaaand it's on its way:w00t2:On a sunday, no less! I feel bad for the speedyfeet guys, didn't want to interrupt their weekend... didn't  expect them to do anything before monday.

They even gave me a heads up to consider the power outlet situation and what connector cable is needed for that (charger cable has UK connector - I assume any run of the mill figure 8 connector works with the charger?)

This kind of customer service (and that insidious rewards program) is going to give them a lot of customer retention. Deservedly.

Archived