NYC EU group

johnc415

Hello! I just moved to NYC a few months ago and I am interested to hear about experiences from EUC riders in the city before I go "head first" and purchase one. My notifications are turned on so please send me a message and I will get back! Thanks! 

-Tim M

11 hours ago, Timothy Martin said:

Hello! I just moved to NYC a few months ago and I am interested to hear about experiences from EUC riders in the city before I go "head first" and purchase one. My notifications are turned on so please send me a message and I will get back! Thanks! 

Not quite sure what you want to hear.

There are many NYC EUC daily riders here in the city (including me), but many don't particularly frequent this forum.

You might be better served / get questions asked faster if you join up below and ask them/us direct:

NYC E-Riders NYC E-Riders  NYC PEV Marketplace NYC PEV Marketplace  NYC PEV Marketplace NYC Rider FB Chat  wPUpDLW.png NYC EUC Collective

On 5/21/2019 at 8:03 AM, houseofjob said:

Not quite sure what you want to hear.

There are many NYC EUC daily riders here in the city (including me), but many don't particularly frequent this forum.

You might be better served / get questions asked faster if you join up below and ask them/us direct:

NYC E-Riders NYC E-Riders  NYC PEV Marketplace NYC PEV Marketplace  NYC PEV Marketplace NYC Rider FB Chat  wPUpDLW.png NYC EUC Collective

Well.. I just purchased a Ninebot One S1 from Craigslist, I know it's not very fast, but I figured this would be a good starting place. Just wanted to know when you guys meet up. Also looking to get some of those shin/leg pads that adhere onto the sides of the shell.

Thanks!

-Tim M

18 hours ago, Timothy Martin said:

Well.. I just purchased a Ninebot One S1 from Craigslist, I know it's not very fast, but I figured this would be a good starting place. Just wanted to know when you guys meet up. Also looking to get some of those shin/leg pads that adhere onto the sides of the shell.

Thanks!

-Tim M

To be frank, that is a good wheel to start learning on, but you will not be able to ride with the group because it is too slow.  I also know it is the opinion of the majority that it isn't safe to ride in the streets of NYC with such a slow wheel also.

Learn to ride, then upgrade you wheel.  I only used my C+ for a month, then upgraded.  I was in the same boat, didn't know how I would like this hobby and didn't want to spend too much.  

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Timothy Martin said:

Just wanted to know when you guys meet up. Also looking to get some of those shin/leg pads that adhere onto the sides of the shell.

Yes, I'm afraid @eddiemoy is right, almost all in the group have wheels that do 30mph and tend not to wait up, but FWIW we've had riders who own slower wheels meet up just at starts of rides, etc. 

The group rides in general are posted in the socials I linked above. I occasionally repost on this forum as well.

As for side pads, I know speedyfeet carries the ones specifically designed for your S1, or an eBay / AliExpress probably have shops that carry the same (not sure how comfy those are). Otherwise, you can really repurpose any EUC pad/cushion to stick on.

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, I'm afraid @eddiemoy is right, almost all in the group have wheels that do 30mph and tend not to wait up, but FWIW we've had riders who own slower wheels meet up just at starts of rides, etc. 

Are you guys averaging 30mph? 😳 I have the Z10, even pushing it hard on constant beep, the app will only show me 20-22mph average after 20 miles. 

We miss your korean bbq ride last week because we went canoeing. Perhaps some other time. 

4 minutes ago, Rotciv said:

Are you guys averaging 30mph? 😳 I have the Z10, even pushing it hard on constant beep, the app will only show me 20-22mph average after 20 miles. 

We miss your korean bbq ride last week because we went canoeing. Perhaps some other time. 

No, it's not a constant 30, really depends on the rider and the wheel. We usually try to plan catch up spots along the route.

Too bad we missed you! We'll definitely have more riders to come.

(BTW I get 27-28 mph max on my Z10, not sure why you only get 20-22. Perhaps rider weight(?))

31 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

BTW I get 27-28 mph max on my Z10, not sure why you only get 20-22. Perhaps rider weight(?)

No issues reaching and sustaining max speed of 28mph for most of my rides. It’s after a long  ride and I look in the app and it’s showing the average to be a lot slower.

1 minute ago, Rotciv said:

No issues reaching and sustaining max speed of 28mph for most of my rides. It’s after a long  ride and I look in the app and it’s showing the average to be a lot slower.

Ah, yes, there is safety speed throttling for the bottom end of the battery capacity. FWIW, I tend to average in the ~25mph due to the max speed and overall mass of the Z10; 28mph only for burst.

On 5/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, eddiemoy said:

To be frank, that is a good wheel to start learning on, but you will not be able to ride with the group because it is too slow.  I also know it is the opinion of the majority that it isn't safe to ride in the streets of NYC with such a slow wheel also.

Learn to ride, then upgrade you wheel.  I only used my C+ for a month, then upgraded.  I was in the same boat, didn't know how I would like this hobby and didn't want to spend too much.  

Good luck.

Yeah I didn't want to invest too heavily because it was my first time even riding one! Anyways I can get around my kitchen without falling now. 

On 5/23/2019 at 10:57 AM, houseofjob said:

The group rides in general are posted in the socials I linked above. I occasionally repost on this forum as well.

As for side pads, I know speedyfeet carries the ones specifically designed for your S1, or an eBay / AliExpress probably have shops that carry the same (not sure how comfy those are). Otherwise, you can really repurpose any EUC pad/cushion to stick on.

Yeah! I would like to at least meet you guys/give another EUCs a try once I get a bit better at riding. Thank you for the advice in regards to the padding. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Inclement Weather? Perfect opportunity to evaluate the 16X for water 💦 intrusion. ;) I hope you have great weather!

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

Brooklyn and Manhattan riders holler if ya wanna ride this week 6/26. Any terrain

www.Instagram.com/eucsidestreetreny

Our Telegrams are good for finding riders on-the-fly FYI Reny:

NYC EBoarding Locations: https://t.me/NYCEboardingLocations

NYC EUC Collective: https://t.me/nycunicyclecollective

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...