NYC EU group

johnc415

We do Sundays downtown at in the Financial district too. We meet 10am at 99 Wall Street (Cross street at Front street) You can see more details here:

http://www.hoodriderz.com/weeklyrides

Yup I knew hoodriderz community went on on Sundays but 10 am is way too early for me hehe. Probably aroynd 1 pm is better.

@Cloud Sounds good ;)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Cregster said:

Hey guys, looking at getting the Ninebot, but was curious if any of you have had issues with the police in the city?

@Cregster they told me to get off in Times Square once, which is understandable. If you have a trolley handle installed, it's not a big deal. You just walk a few feet until you're out of sight and get back on.

• Upvote 1

No problems with the cops so far, I usually ride close to cops when I see them on purpose, although I ride slowly and try not cause problems. If anything they just look, and maybe ask what is it, etc. Although I haven't had cops really ask me much nowadays since I'm sure they know what it is .. at least hoverboards.. as for EUCs, maybe they just assume it's just another one of the new gadgets. We will need to wait until January since I heard that's when the law is going to actually be taking affect/implemented.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, fearedbliss said:

No problems with the cops so far, I usually ride close to cops when I see them on purpose, although I ride slowly and try not cause problems. If anything they just look, and maybe ask what is it, etc. Although I haven't had cops really ask me much nowadays since I'm sure they know what it is .. at least hoverboards.. as for EUCs, maybe they just assume it's just another one of the new gadgets. We will need to wait until January since I heard that's when the law is going to actually be taking affect/implemented.

@fearedbliss Is this law just from rumors/word of mouth or has there been a news article or something saying they were trying to pass it?

8 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I thougt they passed it already because i know of people on hoverboards who got tickets, and it was shown in the news too

@Cloud they didn't pass anything specific banning hoverboards. There's just a law in place that says motorized vehicles that can't be registered with the dmv cant be ridden on public roads/sidewalks (outside of electric wheel chairs for the disabled.) That law has been in place in years. 

When that abc news story reported on it, everyone took it as hoverboards are illegal now but they've always been illegal.

Edited by logos122

Just now, logos122 said:

@Cloud they didn't pass anything specific banning hoverboards. There's just a law in place that says motorized vehicles that can't be registered with the dmv cant be ridden on public roads/sidewalk (outside of electric wheel chairs for the disabled.) That law has been in place in years. 

When that abc news story reported on it, everyone took it as hoverboards are illegal now but they've always been illegal.

Ok, so what are they passing now? A law specific about unicycles?

The "can't be registered" argument is BS as they fall under a different code as Electric personal assist mobility devices

The January rumor is coming from the same cops who do not actually know what's written in Code 19-176.2

The same cops who took down their twitter post claiming hoverboards are illegal.

Read this: http://gothamist.com/2015/11/19/hoverboard_overboard.php

15 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

The "can't be registered" argument is BS as they fall under a different code as Electric personal assist mobility devices

The January rumor is coming from the same cops who do not actually know what's written in Code 19-176.2

The same cops who took down their twitter post claiming hoverboards are illegal.

Read this: http://gothamist.com/2015/11/19/hoverboard_overboard.php

@houseofjob Yeah they kinda fit the definition of a personal electric assist mobility device like the segway (although the strict definition according to nys of a PEAMD, I believe includes a handle). The law states that PEAMD are illegal in cities with  a population greater than 1 million people. Cities with less than a million, have the discretion to make PEAMDs legal in their jurisdiction.

EDIT: yeah the NYPD tweeted the wrong law. A couple hours later, they actually deleted that tweet, probably bc they realized the law they referenced actually made the hoverboards seem legal.

Edited by logos122
  • Upvote 1

It's funny, shouldn't the local NYC Code 19-176.2 supersede NY State VAT 125 loosely defining e-rideables as motorized vehicles, thus making them legal only in NYC? Isn't that usually how it goes, City over State? Why even have a local Code 19-176.2 then, everything electric becomes a motor vehicle and is illegal then anyways, right?

An EU is not an EPAMD because it is not a"two non-tandem wheeled device".  It only has one wheel.  Since they're not specifically described in any of the laws, they fall into the catch-all of "motor vehicles" and therefore must be registered to be operated (which they won't do) and then follow motor vehicle laws (which I won't do, at least I have no intention of riding my SBU down the middle of a road because I want to continue to live).  Unless we're all talking about hoverboards now, which, technically it looks like they are EPAMDs.

Basically, these laws were written before these types of vehicles were a thing and I supposed there will be some push for clarity.  I think they (EUs and hoverboards) should be less regulated and more encouraged than motor vehicles because they are cleaner environmentally, they don't take up public land for street parking, they don't add to traffic jams, and they are far less deadly in collisions -- if you hit someone while riding one you are just as likely to injure yourself as someone else.   Those of us who ride these things are going to need to be the ones to make these points in public and to elected officials -- it's easy for people at first to just see them as a pointless nuisance, but if you ask someone if they would rather have people ride to work on an EU or in a car their opinion shifts. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, holly said:

An EU is not an EPAMD because it is not a"two non-tandem wheeled device".  It only has one wheel.  Since they're not specifically described in any of the laws, they fall into the catch-all of "motor vehicles" and therefore must be registered to be operated (which they won't do) and then follow motor vehicle laws (which I won't do, at least I have no intention of riding my SBU down the middle of a road because I want to continue to live).  Unless we're all talking about hoverboards now, which, technically it looks like they are EPAMDs.

Then EUCs fall under "electric powered devices not capable of exceeding fifteen miles per hour" as that is the 2nd of the 3 exceptions under the NYC code. Still shouldn't be defined as a motor vehicle, otherwise why write this code?

Edited by houseofjob
edit

27 minutes ago, holly said:

Basically, these laws were written before these types of vehicles were a thing and I supposed there will be some push for clarity.  I think they (EUs and hoverboards) should be less regulated and more encouraged than motor vehicles because they are cleaner environmentally, they don't take up public land for street parking, they don't add to traffic jams, and they are far less deadly in collisions -- if you hit someone while riding one you are just as likely to injure yourself as someone else.   Those of us who ride these things are going to need to be the ones to make these points in public and to elected officials -- it's easy for people at first to just see them as a pointless nuisance, but if you ask someone if they would rather have people ride to work on an EU or in a car their opinion shifts. 

New York needs to follow in the way of California.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/10/12/electric-skateboards-legalized-in-california-reversing-ban/

Also you would think NYC law maker's would want to promote carbon free modes of transport especially with future flood projections for Manhattan from global warming:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/17/new-york-city-sea-level-rise_n_6700320.html

We really do need to band together and bring awareness to all the advantages of small personal electric vehicles over traditional "legal" forms of transport.

Edited by logos122
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6 декабря 2015 г. at 3:28 AM, logos122 said:

New York needs to follow in the way of California.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/10/12/electric-skateboards-legalized-in-california-reversing-ban/

Also you would think NYC law maker's would want to promote carbon free modes of transport especially with future flood projections for Manhattan from global warming:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/17/new-york-city-sea-level-rise_n_6700320.html

We really do need to band together and bring awareness to all the advantages of small personal electric vehicles over traditional "legal" forms of transport.

While its not really enforced to give out tickets to unicycle riders ( the hoverboard riders are a primary target) i for one woukd want to keep it that way and as such i woukd tent to keep a low profile. Yes i do ride with music which attracts attention, well once youve tried it its hard not to :) but if i see a cop i always turn the music down and slow down or stop, never run the red light in front if them and in general try to keep a low profile. 

I manage a construction project in one of nyc courthouses and the cop at the entrance stopped me when i was coming in the other day. He asked : is this one of thise hoverboards? I said, no, its a unicycle...he was like..oh..ahh ok.....i just wanted to let you know those hoverboards are illegal...i said ok sure...that was it....i really want to keep it this way. Because, lets face it, chances are,  before it gets better it will get worse..id rather keep a lower profile for as long as possible. Whike our numbers are small and no real casualties while riding, they wont bother to enforce unless some day some euc rider pisses off some lawmaker on the street..

23 minutes ago, Cregster said:

After two weeks of practice I'm starting to feel confident enough to hit the streets.  Are you guys riding the sidewalks or streets in the city?

Most people do both. I havent met with the group in a while, not sure how often they ride these days with the cold weather coming up

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...