NYC EU group

johnc415

Guys, i live in brooklyn, dont own a unicycle yet but hoping to own in a couple of weeks. Can i join one of your meetups? I just want to see one close and how you guys ride it, would be so cool even before i get my own. Thanks   Mike

• 3 weeks later...

This group is awesome. I live in Hell's Kitchen and own a few wheels from different brands. Just got a King Song and am loving it. I met up with Cloud on Tuesday and we did a circle around Central Park. I'd love to join a group ride sometime. I ride mine to work about 2-3x a week from Midtown over the Queensboro Bridge to LIC and do a long ride usually one day on the weekends.

Are there any group rides planned?  

Dana

• Upvote 1

Come on over! 
We have our weekly Sunday ride coming  up:
10am meet outside Gregory's coffee in the Financial District (Wall Street & Front Street) Everyone welcome!

Saw your on 
urban360.com before should contact you earlier, glad you reply to the group
I just got my Kingsong last week guess we can do some speed test ;)

Also see you got IPS LHOTZ Nice! I haven't try any IPS wheels yet (Most wheel in our group are Ninebot One)

We have 2 group members work or live near Hell's Kitchen too. They always up for a  group rides.
PM me or @
Tim Haden will add you into our FB group chat.

This group is awesome. I live in Hell's Kitchen and own a few wheels from different brands. Just got a King Song and am loving it. I met up with Cloud on Tuesday and we did a circle around Central Park. I'd love to join a group ride sometime. I ride mine to work about 2-3x a week from Midtown over the Queensboro Bridge to LIC and do a long ride usually one day on the weekends.

Dana

If anyone is free tonight, care to do a quick ride? say 7pm? I'm in midtown east so Hell's kitchen is easy to get to - the East side highway bike lane is great and Central Park is actually even closer - if not, perhaps another time

I can't do Sundays as I'm over in NJ. glad to hear you guys all rolling with the group!

Dana

I will try to be there too this Sunday. I just got my first euc ( kingsong). It was great meeting up with Dhlee3 the other day,  he taught me a few tricks since this was my 2nd day riding a wheel. I am so enjoying these rides. Its my 4th day using a euc, today i rode from work (near st island ferry in manhattan)over the brooklyn bridge to the verrazzano bridge area in brooklyn, at top speed in the rain. Ttook me less than an hour, i got all wet but it was very cool

Thanks! 

I think its coming along pretty good. It took me about 15 minutes to learn to ride in a straight line and make simple turns, at the end of the 2nd day i felt like i could do pretty much any terrain, sand, grass, hills, bad asphalt, sidewalk curbs. I felt like  i became one with the wheel. Right now i can do long trips. Still havent tried going backwards and jumping though. And my feet are constantly bleeding around the talus bone when i am riding:) i gotta do something about that...maybe attach extra padding? I dont know...the wheel keeps hitting my talus bones....

Hi everyone,

Curious if anyone has tips for learning how to make one's turns tighter without falling?  I taught myself to ride on relatively straight, flat Westchester trails.  Now that I'm riding in the city more, I'm finding that my inability to make sharp turns is sorely lacking. 

Thanks!

Practice, practice, practice & then negotiate slow speed with the angle of lean - or vice-versa!

NYC EU group

All NYC EU riders, please subscribe to this thread! I'd like this to be a central thread where we can discuss pertinent issues surrounding riding the EU's in the great city of NYC, set up a time to get together and ride, and share tips/pointers. Looking forward to this thread growing in number!

Hi everyone,

Curious if anyone has tips for learning how to make one's turns tighter without falling?  I taught myself to ride on relatively straight, flat Westchester trails.  Now that I'm riding in the city more, I'm finding that my inability to make sharp turns is sorely lacking. 

Thanks!

You can try opening your legs while turning like how a motorcyclist does. 

• Upvote 1

You can try opening your legs while turning like how a motorcyclist does. 

With Q3 being a two-wheeled version, riding on flat Westchester trails might be the way to go.  I'm not sure that these will operate very well on non-flat surfaces, and I'm not sure that the same technique used for a one-wheel will be all that helpful.  I don't know.  I know that there is a lot of clumsy but meant to be slick guerrilla marketing going on for Airwheel on this forum.  ;)

The first thing to turn tighter shoukd probably be to slow down. Also , to turn at higher speeds, i lean to the side more, but i dont know if this will work with your wheel.  It looks like you are in the wall street area, i am there too, we can practice after work if you want. I bring my unicycle there every work day.

Edited by Cloud

Thanks! 

I think its coming along pretty good. It took me about 15 minutes to learn to ride in a straight line and make simple turns, at the end of the 2nd day i felt like i could do pretty much any terrain, sand, grass, hills, bad asphalt, sidewalk curbs. I felt like  i became one with the wheel. Right now i can do long trips. Still havent tried going backwards and jumping though. And my feet are constantly bleeding around the talus bone when i am riding:) i gotta do something about that...maybe attach extra padding? I dont know...the wheel keeps hitting my talus bones....

Your talus? Or is it your medial malleolus?

Curious if anyone has tips for learning how to make one's turns tighter without falling?

Since you have a twin wheel instead of a mono wheel it's a little trickier for you.  You need to figure out how to lean and balance on the inside wheel of the turn.  It's really like making a larger turn but you're allowing the outer wheel to come off the ground.

yes, the latter. Lol.  I am not good with thise names. I mixed it up. Malleolus, the medial one it is!

I have a sore on mine but it was from hitting the pedal once.  It does sound like you might want to either add padding to your EU or to your ankle.  You could try footwear with higher tops or some other kind of protective gear.