Knee pads

Bob Eisenman

1 hour ago, dpong said:

Been there.  Done that.  Got the bloody T-shirt. 

Yes, me too, but I forwent the tee shirt.  Despite my old unfit frame, I managed to run it off with only a slight punch of a sea wall to show for it.  I suspect the three of us won't do that again.......until the next time.  No, just kidding, definitely learned from that one.

we should rename this place the "EUC School of Hard Knocks".  We'd all be PHDs by now! 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Yes, me too, but I forwent the tee shirt.  Despite my old unfit frame, I managed to run it off with only a slight punch of a sea wall to show for it.  I suspect the three of us won't do that again.......until the next time.  No, just kidding, definitely learned from that one.

we should rename this place the "EUC School of Hard Knocks".  We'd all be PHDs by now! 

Yes, I learned something important that day.  B)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dpong said:

Yes, I learned something important that day.  B)

Me too.  I learned that a battery level indicator is nothing like a fuel gauge; unless that fuel gauge is reading from a tank who's bottom could fall out at the slightest provocation.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

price ?
Strength of materials used.? 
Comfort ? 
safety ? 

Get some rational parameters in the debate gentlemen, tis is a laff.  Leat is overpriced plastic but what is the alternative ? 

I got Pro-tec skateboarding knee pads. They might not be the best for a high speed crash but when I drop to my knees from a standing position the cushion makes the landing a non event. Since I go slowly (now anyway) I don’t think I’ll shed them in a slow crash. I do wish they had clips though, I’m getting to despise velcro. 

I'm pretty sure at some point you'll fall, stuff happens. The wheel might track a groove in the road, a passing bicycle might get too close and you flinch, you just didn't see that pothole, a car door suddenly opened, and so on. Back when the US was debating laws that require motorcycle riders to wear helmets I saw an advert that was pretty on point: "You don't need a helmet if you have concrete for brains". Protect what you don't want damaged because accidents are pretty much inevitable. I gear up robocop style cuz I hate pain and hate rehabbing and like full use of my limbs. And head.

Edited by Tawpie
fix grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CharlesRomer said:

Im 15yrs old and have been riding EUCs for 1 year now.

Ive not fallen once. I've not gone faster than 17mph and never had a cutout. Is this luck that will end eventually or is it just caution that stops you from falling?

That's great! Now IF you can guarantee that, then it don't matter if you ride nude. Personally given the choice, I'd rather not wear gear myself but I'm mindful of a great boxer, Mike Tyson & his (in)famous quote ... "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

Heck if I never get hit, I can even beat Mike at his prime😅. I'm not being facetious in wishing you all the best & hope you never experience the pain of a cutout &or accident/s. As usual, ball's in your court.

1 hour ago, CharlesRomer said:

Im 15yrs old and have been riding EUCs for 1 year now.

Ive not fallen once. I've not gone faster than 17mph and never had a cutout. Is this luck that will end eventually or is it just caution that stops you from falling?

It's perfectly reasonable to expect that you won't have a fall if you continue to ride defensively, on gentle rides back and forth to school or the local grocery store. Certainly that you'll never have cutout.

The problem comes because it is pretty much impossible to keep doing that forever; they are just too much fun to ride fast or under difficult conditions.  

Gonna put my wannabe mod hat on...

@Finn Bjerke How did you manage to find and resurrect such an ancient thread on such a generic topic?

@Unventor started a dedicated knee guard thread over in the Riding Safety and Protective Gear section. Guys, please post your opinions on kneeguards there.

I've gone thru several different kinds of knee/shin guards mountainbiking since 2000. Essential protection for technical rocky & rooty trails that I favor riding.

Here's what I gathered and I hope it helps others:

* "Hard shell" (plastic+foam)  designs offered better impact protection than "soft shell" (Neoprene/rubber) pads. Plastic slides on hard (smooth rock face) surfaces while softer materials often catch and tear.  

* Most hard shell models requires a bit more time  to put on with multiple straps. While the soft shells are mostly slide-on items. 

* Thicker padding protects more but will also be heavier, hotter to wear and decrease mobility.

* When you get hot, you'll get more sweaty and even tight pads starts slipping at some point (worse when pedaling bikes). They can and will slide out on first impact.  

Currently, my go-to is the Lizard Skinz Softcell Knee/shin guard (never slipped out of place). It also eliminated painful shins when I was learning to ride the EUC. Some bike buddies are happy with Fox Launch and POC hard shells. I've also had G-forms (ripped on first crash) , Kali Azzis  (keeps sliding down) , Sixsixone  EXO (stealth but very flimsy) .

For now, I only use the EUC going slow on local errands and 5mm knee sleeves worn inside feels about right.

For more reading, here's a link on reviews  -  https://www.mtbr.com/mtb-apparel-and-protection/armor-and-pads.html

And a good source - https://www.allsportprotection.com/

Edited by Surfling
additional text