My wife says NO but I want one bad!

CRB

There was a video of an older chap going backwards and forwards on his wheel but I can't find it.

Anyway I will be 60 in January and as I knew my wife wouldn't approve I never said anything, I just ordered one, in fact I had two before she knew anything about it. :)

Its taken me six months but I eventually got her up and riding once whilst holding my hand on another euc. :)

My 14" generic wheel is on loan with my father-in-law -"candidate", he turned 60 this spring. I showed him some basics and then he rode around with the training wheels, he seemed to pick it up pretty quick... after 15 minutes, he could get going and stop and ride straight without the training wheels hitting the ground most of the time. Don't know if he has had the time to ride it lately, last I checked he was going to get his own safety gear.

From what I've gathered, it seems we've got lots people around or over 60 in these forums alone, oldest I remember was a 63-year old woman asking for tips riding Ninebot. As long as there's nothing physically stopping you and you got some balance, I think the age is not such an issue, since "normal" riding doesn't require you to be very fit or strong.

• 2 months later...

Found the video:

Wow!  I've been working on my wife's permission for months... not brave enough to cross her on this.  You know "happy wife happy life".  But I think this video will put her over the top!  Thanks!!!

I see potential for a new community service. Strangers exchanging "gifts" of EUs. It would be impolite to turn down a gift!

But honestly I think you have to backtrack a bit, find out what is the potential little next adventure in her life, whatever her version of a EU that she might be entertaining in her mind, then you both support each other through your next adventures.

This post makes me want to start a topic : why is having a euc  better than having a wife.   Right off the bat i could come up with a few like

1. You can get a new euc whenever you get bored with the one you got  2. You only spend money on an euc once, the rest is a free ride. 3. Euc never talks back, in fact it never talks at all 4. You dont have to visit euc's mother. 5 Euc never asks where you were last night. 6. When you have to dress up your euc , just cover it with some foam and call it a day. 7. When you tired of lugging your euc around, just tie it down to something and go party. 

On a more serious note, arguing with the lady will only make her more stubborn, and she will disagree out of principle. You are asking for advice on logical reasons that will help you convince your wife, while , as a rule, logic will have no such effect. In fact, presenting perfect logic can have a reverse effect n your better half. You need to appeal to the lady's desire to be heard and appreciated.

The best way to convince your wife is show that you understand and appreciate her concerns and to agree in part. She has straightened you out. Tell her you have considered her comments and discarded many a wheel brands which are not safe in terms of power cut out, super high speed, statistics for accidents/ malfunctions. She has helped you narrow your focus to a very few potential options. Choose a safe place to practice - this is part of your safety plan inspired by her. You will only start riding on the street after you reach a certain skill level. Tell her if she agrees you will ask her to be there with you a few times to make sure it looks safe to continue. Also could help to present a plan how you will get rid of the wheel ( and get most of the money back) if it turns out not what you expected or it becomes obvious there is a safety issue riding it. Finally find how your riding will benefit her. Even if she doesnt admit that this matters, it will work on a subconcious level. Maybe when you get the wheel you can go grocery shopping to a local store instead of her. ( trust me, you will want to go grocery shopping just to get an excuse to use your wheel more:)

good luck and keep us posted.

Archived