My wife says NO but I want one bad!

CRB

Folks,

I saw one of these driving around on vacation in Vancouver.  I was amazed and i've been obsessed ever since!  My wife hates it, please help with any ideas you can come up with .  Similar experiences and what helped would be most helpful!

More later...

Chris

Folks,

I saw one of these driving around on vacation in Vancouver.  I was amazed and i've been obsessed ever since!  My wife hates it, please help with any ideas you can come up with .  Similar experiences and what helped would be most helpful!

More later...

Chris

Why does she "hate it" exactly??

She says it's everything... but I think she is genuinely concerned about safety.  We're both very active retirees and we've sailed 20000 miles with just the two of us.  Been in way more dangerous situations than this.  I don't really get it.

Folks,

My wife thinks it's a waste of money.  And granted I don't have a need; I just want one.  But my wife wanted to take a trip.  It's going to cost around $450 for the flight, around $300 for the rental car.  Then there will be baggage fees and all kinds of other things.  So I said to her "Good!  Now I can get my toy."  She seemed to be OK with it.  Later she was telling a co-worker about the "toy" I wanted and her friend said "Oh, those are so cool.  I want one too.".  So I think that helped warm my wife up to the idea.  So soon I think I will be getting a Ninebot One E+. 

She says that she always tells me she doesn't care what I get... but I think she does care a little.  But she warms up to the idea.  Now I hope that after I learn to ride that she will want to learn.  Because one of the uses I can think of for one is for when we go on vacations (to places where they are allowed and that we don't have to fly to).

If you live in the Northeast US between Boston and Washington DC you could take the train. They don't really check you and it would be easy to take on a wheel with no problem.

For anyone in the Baltimore-Washington area, the invitation is still open to try my beater wheel for free or rent it for a while.

How much do you like your wife? :D

^that's what I'm sayin^. If you've got the money and it's something you want. Then the real question is what are you waiting for ?

you could just as easy slip in the shower and break your neck, everything is dangerous depending how you look at it.

^that's what I'm sayin^. If you've got the money and it's something you want. Then the real question is what are you waiting for ?

you could just as easy slip in the shower and break your neck, everything is dangerous depending how you look at it.

I agree with that.  That's what I told my wife when I used to skydive.

She says it's everything... but I think she is genuinely concerned about safety.  We're both very active retirees and we've sailed 20000 miles with just the two of us.  Been in way more dangerous situations than this.  I don't really get it.

This Swiss wheeler has a permanent disability and mut walk with a clutch : http://trottinetteselectriques.heberg-forum.fr/ftopic833-0.html He has a new life since he got a dual-wheel unicycle, so if he can ride, anyone can.

For a boater, a wheel is a must-have ! When your wife will see all the thing you can do at the dock with the wheel, she'll have regrets indeed. :rolleyes:

But she is not entirely wrong concerning safety. In decreasing order of risk, wheels with BMS cutoff can be very very dangerous (see the corresponding post). Wheels with weak motors (less than 500W) can be dangerous. Wheels like Gotway are somewhat dangerous since they can throw you off by a sudden shutdown if you don't slow down after continuous beeps.

So avoid cheap wheels if safety and releaving your wife's fear are the priorities. With a wheel like Solowheel, Firewheel, inMotion, IPS or Ninebot (I've read Ninebot have some firmware versions with problem, I hope it's solved), there is no more safety problem than riding a bike. All you need not to fall is to build strength and balance by riding the wheel for weeks or even months on good roads at slow speed before taking risks at higher speeds and bumpy roads (easier said than done since with proficiency, we tend to become over-confident and complacent... until the first fall). The big safety problem comes from the rider, not the wheel. And from lack of good information and advices from the seller.

My fiance was the same way when I expressed I wanted to ride a bike in the city for commuting. Tell her that you'd wear a helmet and gloves and that b/c you're mostly cruising on the sidewalks, cars don't really have a chance to run you down :) 

Promise safety gear, and see if you can rent one first.  Show her it is safe (at least as safe as a bicycle) without the commitment.

Failing that, see if you can line it up a present you are "due" anyway.  I got mine for my 40th.  Told my wife it was cheaper than a convertible and mid life crisis mistress.  In her view if I was riding a wheel I'd probably look too dorky to get the mistress.  So a win all around.  ;)

Hi

I say go for it you only live once! So we believe, anyway there is a guy in Vancouver go see him and get him to teach you before you buy.

thats what I do, I will give as much help and training you want or need.

i you are serious about it do it!

once you get better get your girl on it and she will change her tune. ( mine did)

if your ever in Victoria look me up I will teach you.

mike

You could always try to convince her to join you in learning and riding one with a future possibility of getting one of her very own in the future and you can go cruising together.  I'm currently teaching my girlfriend(27) how to ride on my EU and she is having lots of fun learning even though her legs are now covered in bruises and scrapes and she is suffering from fatigued muscles.

I am of this opinion ..
If you have the money, and very much wants to, it does not affect the wife's opinions.
The money and time could be used for much worse.
And the wife must understand this.
If not ... :)

My wife said mine would be a waste of money, but I use it every day to walk the dogs and guess what, yep she now has one too. 

Just do do as I did, keep grinding away at her, until you get your own way. But be warned learning is not as easy as you think and your bound to hear these words. " I told you so, I said it'll be a waste of money " when your battered and bruised for the first 10 or so days  

i ride a Ninebot one E and I'm 44 and so happy with it. 

Just a thought, I have a X8 which don't use much. I can trade that fir your wife. ?

i wouldn't trade my ninebot for a wife, let alone second wife :) 

let your wife try the ones with 2 wheels, they are so much easier to get her hooked. worst that can happen is that you have to drive it and she uses your nice wheel ....

let your wife try the ones with 2 wheels, they are so much easier to get her hooked. worst that can happen is that you have to drive it and she uses your nice wheel ....

WAT? NEVER! If that happens, leave your wife and give her the duallie, then find the woman that @hobby16 uses for an avatar in the French forum.

find the woman that @hobby16 uses for an avatar in the French forum.

http://www.wepix.net/image/55VeXLXB/image2.png

I wonder if she has to lean further back than the rest of us to stop the wheel, given all that front weight  ;) 

My significant other hasn't been that negative about the wheels, more like amused of my enthusiasm... I was worried at first that she might get upset because of all the money I throw in them, but in reality she has no problem as long as we don't go broke because of it and she doesn't have to spend her earnings on them  :D

Wow!!  Thanks so much to such a friendly community.  I really do appreciate the suggestions and I think the best one may be to trade my wife for a unicycle!... just kidding!!  Here's the good news, she seems to be at least tolerating discussion.  So here's what might help.  Are any of you aware of a 60+  rider?  When I think about the things I do it seems to me this is no more risky especially if I stick to soft grassy areas first.  I drift dive and dive the reefs off Florida, play golf and ride my bike several times per week.  Any examples of people the "new 40" or older would be helpful.

PS my wife is very active as well.  She won't drift dive with me but she does the reefs from a dive boat and a few of the shore dives as well.

Thanks again for all the support!

Chris

Wow!!  Thanks so much to such a friendly community.  I really do appreciate the suggestions and I think the best one may be to trade my wife for a unicycle!... just kidding!!  Here's the good news, she seems to be at least tolerating discussion.  So here's what might help.  Are any of you aware of a 60+  rider?  When I think about the things I do it seems to me this is no more risky especially if I stick to soft grassy areas first.  I drift dive and dive the reefs off Florida, play golf and ride my bike several times per week.  Any examples of people the "new 40" or older would be helpful.

PS my wife is very active as well.  She won't drift dive with me but she does the reefs from a dive boat and a few of the shore dives as well.

Thanks again for all the support!

Chris

I am 61, just started riding EU about three weeks ago. I also ride dirtbike in the mountains,woods and dunes.

I remember some 89 year old bloke asking Airwheel for a free  X5 as he would be a good advert for their product.
They told him simply, "Can't give you a free one, we have lots of customers around you age already"!!:D:D

Archived