Reducing Wind Noise

16bitSprite

Actually I DID go to their sight and realised that a little creativity and some material from an umwanted garment might yield a similar result.  After all, one is just "cowling" or "fairing" the ears, so any sort (for comfort) material should do.  I'll be looking into this when I'm settled in back home in March.  

On 13.1.2017 at 0:12 PM, steve454 said:

I'd remove the fangs, they look cool, but one wrong move and you could poke your eyes out:whistling:

Then this outfit is definately not for you. If you are worried about the fangs you'd never be able to get hold of it -  since you would have to fight the Nemean lion - including a set of intact fangs. :D

• Upvote 1

Custom ear plugs would work.  I met a fellow motorcyclist that uses them whenever he rides.  I have a pair but only use them when I want peace and quiet at home.

Here's a link that allows you make your own custom fit to your ear canal.

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Red/dp/B002XULPSQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484802574&sr=8-3&keywords=Custom+ear+plugs

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone who is looking into the cat ears option. 

I purchased a similar product called 'windblox'. (Amazon wouldn't ship 'cat ears' to Australia though I'm sure they would work just as well) Tried them out on a quick ride today. I set them out differently on each strap to find the best working position (Close to the face as possible worked best for me) It also let me make a comparison between ears to see if they were doing anything at all. Once I found the optimal position they worked really well. They seem to block out most of noise. Probably about 60-80% of it is gone. I can still hear all the road noise and the beeps from my wheel.

Obviously this won't make the trip completely silent and if it's super windy you will still get wind noise, but they are a great slim-line solution that makes a major difference. It also leaves the option to upgrade to another option like earplugs at the same time.

I would recommend these to anyone who uses a helmet while riding. Being able to hear could save your life. Less wind noise could save your hearing. For such a small cost, these seem like they should come standard with every helmet. It's s no brainer in my opinion. Top marks. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...