Ninebot started malfunctioning

rdalcanto

26 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

It's tiring to support the huge weight of my wheel on one pedal if I have to do it for any length of time.

There should be an angle at which the weight of the wheel and he weight of the leg cancel, such that only minimal force should be needed to remain in position. Which wheel do you have?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mono said:

There should be an angle at which the weight of the wheel and he weight of the leg cancel, such that only minimal force should be needed to remain in position. Which wheel do you have?

MS3. Yeah, you're not wrong - I have long since adapted my resting stance so that that is the case, but it used to be tiring when the wheel was still new to me, and I hadn't perfected my angles :) 

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

fyi, I won't be exploring the limits I.e. crashing, on my motorcycle or in my car, either, just can't find the right " safe environment " these days.

Going to and beyond the limits in a car or on a motorcycle in a controlled environment is called drivers safety training. It's not overly difficult to find, but it is usually not for free. Due to the higher speeds involved it is a little more difficult to provide a controlled environment. Most importantly, it is meant to save lives in balance, even if it there is a (usually small) risk in the training itself.

On 1/7/2017 at 6:56 PM, rdalcanto said:

I was able to idle without issues before today.  Now, even a mild change in direction results in a horrible jerk and beep as seen in the video, despite 70% charge.  It threw me off and scraped my shin when it flipped up and hit my leg.  Anyone seen this behavior before?  I did a calibration and nothing changed.  I tried putting the somatosensory on 2 and 8 with no difference.  Charging to 100% now to see if that does anything....  :cry2:

Thanks,

Rick

The bolt connect the pedal to the axil may be loose. You can tighten one side with a standard wrench, but the other side you will need a wrench with a special extension so you can feed the wire to the motor through. Speedyfeet made a video on tearing down the unit all the way. Check that video out.

I got an email back from Ninebot.  They want me to send it in for warranty service.  They sent me a label, but I noticed that it says bill sender, so I'm worried that FedEx is going to charge me when we drop it off.  We shall see....  :cry2:

14 minutes ago, rdalcanto said:

I got an email back from Ninebot.  They want me to send it in for warranty service.  They sent me a label, but I noticed that it says bill sender, so I'm worried that FedEx is going to charge me when we drop it off.  We shall see....  :cry2:

It's in the US so shouldn't be extreme.  And probably they will pay to ship it back.  Good luck with the repair, hope it doesn't take too long.  At least they sent you the shipping label, that takes some of the hassle out of it.

23 hours ago, Slaughthammer said:

Yes, the Lhotz is much easier outleaned

Really? Why is suddenly everyone knocking the Lhotz as if it has a reputation for easy outleaning?? I have 2 Lhotzs and I've never outleaned them.

15 hours ago, steve454 said:

I have seen a video where a guy was crossing a street and his buddy was filming from behind, and you can clearly see him outlean the ninebot and it cuts off.

To me the Ninebot failed unreasonably here. It cut off, but in my opinion, he was not outleaning. He was not making excessive demands on the wheel. In my opinion, if riding the way he was riding "outleans" the wheel, that's a substandard wheel. I call this an unacceptable failure of the wheel.

10 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

To me the Ninebot failed unreasonably here. It cut off, but in my opinion, he was not outleaning. He was not making excessive demands on the wheel, in my opinion. In my opinion, if riding the way he was riding "outleans" the wheel, that's a substandard wheel. I call this an unacceptable failure of the wheel.

The battery level of his Ninebot is probably a critical factor here. Hard to tell from the angle of the video how much he was leaning but without knowing his battery level and weight it's hard to come to any sort of reliable judgement on his euc or Ninebot in general

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

They sent me a label, but I noticed that it says bill sender,

You're getting warranty service not warrantee transport. You pay to send it and they pay to ship it back, assuming it works the same as a 14" generic I owned and had serviced.

9 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

To me the Ninebot failed unreasonably here. It cut off, but in my opinion, he was not outleaning. He was not making excessive demands on the wheel. In my opinion, if riding the way he was riding "outleans" the wheel, that's a substandard wheel. I call this an unacceptable failure of the wheel.

I can't believe he is riding in shorts with no wristguards or helmet, and he didn't appear to get hurt.  His buddy asked what happened and he said it shutoff.  That would be a perfect situation to send in a black box report and maybe find out why it shutoff.  I'm thinking @Paddylaz may be correct that the battery level was low.

In that video, you clearly see the pedals tilting forward more before it finally tips over.  This was not just a shut off.  He pushed it too hard, and when the pedals started to lean, he should have known.  It looks like the wheel was trying to catch up to him.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I figured it out. Mine was doing that same thing so I tore down the unit down completely. After doing so, I don't think the problem is with where the pedal connects to the axle (as I had originally thought). It's where the body connects to pedal. Take the ankle pads off (the things covering up the magnet). Tighten those screws and see if that solves you issue. Mine isn't shaking anymore.

Archived