Ninebot started malfunctioning

rdalcanto

I was able to idle without issues before today.  Now, even a mild change in direction results in a horrible jerk and beep as seen in the video, despite 70% charge.  It threw me off and scraped my shin when it flipped up and hit my leg.  Anyone seen this behavior before?  I did a calibration and nothing changed.  I tried putting the somatosensory on 2 and 8 with no difference.  Charging to 100% now to see if that does anything....  :cry2:

Thanks,

Rick

fullsizeoutput_3a4f.jpeg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that idling back and forth tends to heat up and stress the MOSFETs quite a bit.  You may have a control board issue.  You could try disconnecting the battery, pressing the power button to discharge the caps, and reconnect the battery to see if that does anything.  It might need a control board replacement under warranty.

I've actually done very little idling on the Ninebot.  I've done a TON on the V8.  My son started learning backwards riding and noticed the problem today.  I emailed Ninebot.  Hopefully I'll get a reply Monday.  Wondering if anyone has seen this behavior before.  

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think I recall someone also had the BMS in their battery malfunction due to a faulty diode which resulted in something similar.  Do you have a spare battery pack from another Ninebot to try?

I don't.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe check with @Jonathan Tolhurst as I'm fairly certain he had a very similar issue on his Ninebot One E+.  I don't recall whether it ended up to be a control board or BMS issue in his case.

Edit:. Hmmm maybe not the right person...

Hi, I haven't experienced that exact problem before (although it's similar to a control board issue I had with my first E+) but from reading the description of the symptoms and watching the video it does look/sound like some kind of control board issue. Hope you get it sorted soon, it's very frustrating when these units malfunction.

Bob noticed that the pedals are tilting a lot.  At first I thought it felt mushy because I'm used to the Inmotion now, but I do actually think the pedals are tilting much more now than when it was new.  Is there a way to do a Factory Reset?  I wonder if something got corrupted from changing the somatosensory settings around a bunch...

13 minutes ago, rdalcanto said:

Bob noticed that the pedals are tilting a lot.  At first I thought it felt mushy because I'm used to the Inmotion now, but I do actually think the pedals are tilting much more now than when it was new.  Is there a way to do a Factory Reset?  I wonder if something got corrupted from changing the somatosensory settings around a bunch...

I don't know of a means to do a factory reset. I believe @SuperSport is a bit of an expert on Ninebot One calibration. Might be useful to know what firmware and app version you are on.

I doubt a factory reset would help, but maybe check the app.  I can't remember, but there might be a reset setting in the menus.  The way it is behaving in the videos it looks like a hardware issue though.  

You could check that the hub nut is tight, but there usually are little metal inserts preventing it from loosening and also two trapezoidal metal pieces that hold onto the axle IIRC.  I don't know if maybe some play there might create balance problems.

Maybe better to do a product swap through Newegg?

Sorry to hear of your problem.  No advice here,never owned a Ninesquat.  

Observation: So much for the sale to Mr. Chicago ☹️

Quote me: " there are only two types of EUC riders those who have had an injury or three, and those who haven't - yet" welcome to the club. ?

Question: where are your fecking wrist guards? Rick!

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

Question: where are your fecking wrist guards? Rick!

We have them for riding outside.  Indoors, we are never going very fast, and have never fallen onto the ground.  No cracks or obstacles to take us out either.  When it got my shin, I didn't fall - the stupid thing flipped up somehow and wacked me good.

26 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

Hey, cannot help wit your problem, but look what I found!
http://www.fwheel.cc/electric-unicycle-ninebot-comparision/

Are you in any way attached to the guys at f-wheel? Or did they just rip this of the forum to promote their own product?

Holy crap.  I am in no way associated with the guys at f-wheel, nor did I give them permission to use my video.  :angry:

I was able to get a hold of Speedyfeet on Facebook.  I love his instructional videos, and he was kind enough to look at my video.  He thinks the board is damaged.  Hopefully Ninebotus will get back to me tomorrow.  I have done very lilting idling on the Ninebot.  He said idling is very hard on EUCs and not a good idea because it overloads the moffets.  While that may be true, it seems like the unit should be able to hand some idling since that is a useful skill when you need to stop for a few seconds.

3 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

Holy crap.  I am in no way associated with the guys at f-wheel, nor did I give them permission to use my video.

Your famous worldwide now, or at least with the few people who are looking at the Dolphin.:lol:

1 hour ago, rdalcanto said:

I have done very lilting idling on the Ninebot.  He said idling is very hard on EUCs and not a good idea because it overloads the moffets.  While that may be true, it seems like the unit should be able to hand some idling since that is a useful skill when you need to stop for a few seconds.

Your right, it should be able to handle some idling, I still don't see how that would heat up the mosfets any more than regular riding, unless it's at slow start off from 0 that generates the most heat

16 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

I've actually done very little idling on the Ninebot.  I've done a TON on the V8.  My son started learning backwards riding and noticed the problem today.  I emailed Ninebot.  Hopefully I'll get a reply Monday.  Wondering if anyone has seen this behavior before.  

Someone posted a video of his ninebot doing that some months ago, except his had that jerk both directions.  I think it was somebody from Finland or Sweden, but I don't recall if he got it fixed.

6 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Someone posted a video of his ninebot doing that some months ago, except his had that jerk both directions.  I think it was somebody from Finland or Sweden, but I don't recall if he got it fixed.

Mine will do it in both directions as well, but easier to do in reverse.

6 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

Holy crap.  I am in no way associated with the guys at f-wheel, nor did I give them permission to use my video.  :angry:

You put the vid on Youtube and they embedded a Youtube vid, so I guess that is probably fine. However they quoted also your post, which I am not sure about the licensing in this forum. In any case, in doing this they just display a**holish behaviour which makes me (much) less inclined to buy any of their products.

That is exactly how I see this. They could have at least linked to this thread. And if it was on a private website/blog, no problem whatsoever. But using this, which was intentioned to get some help, on a large scale commercial site to degrade a competitor is IMHO inacceptable. especially when their own wheels have all other kinds of malfunctions:

3 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

Mine will do it in both directions as well, but easier to do in reverse.

After watching your video a couple more times, it does not appear to be the same behavior as the other one I saw.  That one, if I remember right, looked more like slop in the wheel, like a dead spot in middle when putting pressure to go forward or back.

It looked like your wheel might be reacting to aggressive acceleration by leveling itself out to prevent an overlean and cutout.  I have never put that much pressure on mine, i don't think:huh: but you said your ninebot is on 1.4.0 firmware, which is the latest version.  In the app it says 1.4.0 fixed problem of vehicle power on misoperation.  Who knows what that means, but maybe the wheel is acting normally?  Does it still ride well if you accelerate a little more gradually?

There is a black box function in the app, where the wheel locks and sends data back to Ninebot, but you have to type in the problem I think.

Archived