Riding through the rough spots

Bob Eisenman

Here are three challenging bumps along a path that I sometimes ride. For the big 'ups' I find that a slow walking pace with deliberate forward presdure torques right over the lip. Another option is to use the street in advance of the bad sidewalk section. For the S turn with stick uprights the turn hazard is hooking a stick with an open jacket. Going slow helps. Catching a coat is like hitting a pedal against a curb and twisting off.

Do you have any 'favorite bumps'  ?

2017-01-02_15.30.13.jpg

2017-01-02_15.28.52.jpg

2017-01-02_15.27.37.jpg

3 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Here are three challenging bumps along a path that I sometimes ride. For the big 'ups' I find that a slow walking pace with deliberate forward presdure torques right over the lip. Another option is to use the street in advance of the bad sidewalk section. For the S turn with stick uprights the turn hazard is hooking a stick with an open jacket. Going slow helps. Catching a coat is like hitting a pedal against a curb and twisting off.

Do you have any 'favorite bumps'  ?

2017-01-02_15.30.13.jpg

2017-01-02_15.28.52.jpg

2017-01-02_15.27.37.jpg

That's the gnarliest sidewalk I've ever seen.  But the arrow shows the best path.  I don't think tree roots did that, even far away from any tree the sidewalk is buckled.

That's some weird sidewalk.:blink1:

7 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Another option is to use the street in advance of the bad sidewalk section.

Wow! Where do you live? In my city, the government is so afraid of being sued, they'll replace a sidewalk section if it's 5/8" out of alignment. 

On the other hand, a sidewalk obstacle course does help develop strong EUC riding skills!

22 minutes ago, dbfrese said:

On the other hand, a sidewalk obstacle course does help develop strong EUC riding skills!

There is a very bad buckled section on one of my frequent routes. It's so bad, buckled so steeply, with some of the concrete crumbled, that for a long time I wasn't even sure if riding over it was possible. I would step off and roll or carry the wheel past that section. Finally I got the courage to try riding over it, and somewhat to my surprise, I was able to do it. Figuring out the best way to finesse the wheel over that bad section (and the challenge is different in the opposite direction) turned out to be a skill builder and confidence builder.

1 hour ago, dbfrese said:

Wow! Where do you live? In my city, the government is so afraid of being sued, they'll replace a sidewalk section if it's 5/8" out of alignment. 

well, that's a nice city, you live in, where ever it is.  In Texas you can't sue your city, or at least that's what I was told when I lived in Houston.  I wasn't even trying to sue the city, but they pulled out this f,ing cannon of a threat as soon as I said "excuse me, but..." Oh, and in Houston, if your lucky enough to have a sidewalk, it could easily look like that. Houston has what they call "gumbo" soil, and a lot of rain.  The soil swells and contracts a lot.  Tree roots don't help either.

But yes you're  right, about the sidewalk obstacle course.  I used to fear sections like this now I welcome the challenge, now and then.

lastly I agree  with @steve454, that the yellow line seems fine, but I would add one more danger observation.  Those sticks are a DIY eye removal surgery, waiting to happen if you fall in that area. ??

From where I live at, I don't even know what those so-called sidewalks are!

Either they don't even exist at all or they just look like these:

motor-dan-trotoar1.jpg

trotoar-gatsu.jpg

125200920140224-121234780x390.JPG

trotoar.jpg

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

Holy sheep ship @z3n no fear about getting a ticket for riding on the sidewalk there then!  The cop would be too busy avoiding motorbike and scoters to issue you one.  Where is that anyway?

Jakarta, Indonesia.

Yea that's one benefit for us for not worrying about cops here, they are either too busy taking a nap in their cozy offices or just waiting to issue tickets for cars and motorcycles just to get enough for their promotions. :lol:

The sidewalk is just beyond my town, in the neighboring community on the way to the mall. There is a stretch of several houses with rough sidewalks. The adjacent street, when not filled with opposing cars, is really smooth. The opposite side of the road is smoother....if you have the patience to cross the street in traffic.

Sticks as eyeball pokers...ich..maybe a dashed line across the grass next to the S turn would avoid the sticks and be more useable when not wet. Going really slow works there along the S.

In my town there are several old brick sidewalks. Frost heaves, tree roots and erosion make for a bumby 'washboard' ride. Missing bricks leave dents in the path that I ride over or around.

I 'dropped' the EUC once at one of the big concrete slabs when not using enough speed. The EUC was all torqued up trying to go somewhere before spinning out from under me at the block. For awhile those sidewalk photo sections were on my list of 'stop, power off and walk around' places. In a sense they still are on that list of places to walk around.

Can you think of another reason to visit the town? Dining, PEM, new Commuter Rail parking lot, Fast Ferry to Boston?

"Three cheers for old Salem High,

We are the witches,

We're flying high"

I learned that football song part way through high school after moving in from out of state. I said to the local scout master, "we went camping in my old troop" .They said "we don't do that!", I lettered in  JV soccer (didn't make the f-ball team) out of state at a time when kids just didn't play soccer on the high school football field, but new coaches were thinking about the idea.

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Btw @Bob Eisenman, how are those witch trials going? ?

"Paak the cah in Hah vahd yahd"

http://tnt.tchlab.org/bruns/

My best mid life macho thing was (once) to get up at 4:00 am, arrive at Pinkham Notch (3 ish hour drive) and be hiking (pack light and drink plenty of h2O) up Mt Washington by 9:00 am, summit by 1:00 pm in the afternoon, go back to Pinkham by 5 or 6 pm, drive home again and fall asleep in my own bed. 

4 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Can you think of another reason to visit the town? Dining, PEM, new Commuter Rail parking lot, Fast Ferry to Boston?

"Three cheers for old Salem High,

We are the witches,

We're flying high"

I learned that football song part way through high school after moving in from out of state. I said to the local scout master, "we went camping in my old troop" .They said "we don't do that!", I lettered in  JV soccer (didn't make the f-ball team) out of state at a time when kids just didn't play soccer on the high school football field, but new coaches were thinking about the idea.

"Paak the cah in Hah vahd yahd"

http://tnt.tchlab.org/bruns/

My best mid life macho thing was (once) to get up at 4:00 am, arrive at Pinkham Notch (3 ish hour drive) and be hiking (pack light and drink plenty of h2O) up Mt Washington by 9:00 am, summit by 1:00 pm in the afternoon, go back to Pinkham by 5 or 6 pm, drive home again and fall asleep in my own bed. 

Bob, whatever. You're on, I want some. ?

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Bob, whatever. You're on, I want some. ?

It's peppermint, as opposed to acetaminophen that I took last month for lower back pain.

and I won a game of chess on chess.com earlier, pulling me back up from a three game losing streak yesterday.

Did you know that acetaminophen is bad for cats and lethal in low doses for brown tree snakes in Guam?

@Bob Eisenman your cracking me up.  But seriously, You sound like you're having a good time over there.

congrats on the medal and chess victory. Whatever your doing, it's working.

and thanks for the acetaminophen tip.  I'll remember to keep it away from my brown trouser TREE, tree snake. ?

17 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Sticks as eyeball pokers...ich..maybe a dashed line across the grass next to the S turn would avoid the sticks and be more useable when not wet. Going really slow works there along the S.

If I was riding there regulary, each time i would pull one of those pokers as I was riding by and get rid of it.  What are they there for anyway?  

Like one time I stopped at a stop sign and there was one of those little plastic signs that said "house for sale, 3 bedrooms 1200 dollars a month dueno a dueno.  Nobody else was around so I threw it in my car and then threw it in the dumpster.  Felt better removing that eyesore:thumbup:

13 minutes ago, steve454 said:

If I was riding there regulary, each time i would pull one of those pokers as I was riding by and get rid of it.  What are they there for anyway?  

Like one time I stopped at a stop sign and there was one of those little plastic signs that said "house for sale, 3 bedrooms 1200 dollars a month dueno a dueno.  Nobody else was around so I threw it in my car and then threw it in the dumpster.  Felt better removing that eyesore:thumbup:

When the big snows of winter arrive the guy with the snow blower will know where the sidewalk is.

5 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Maybe it's Ninebot's built in app merit award for reaching 5000 Km last month.

Screenshot_2016-12-15-17-05-38.png

That's a lot of riding, I'm only a bronze knight.  Now you only have to ride another 5000 km to reach the top level.  I wonder what happens then?

1 minute ago, Bob Eisenman said:

When the big snows of winter arrive the guy with the snow blower will know where the sidewalk is.

Are you sure?  I think he will know where the sidewalk is without those safety hazards, every crosswalk has a sidewalk:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Are you sure?  I think he will know where the sidewalk is without those safety hazards, every crosswalk has a sidewalk:rolleyes:

If you expand the photo and look for orange tips it looks like the plow guys will see them too along the edges of the lot.

Ok, I don't know how to expand the photo, but looking again I can see how high the rust goes on that post, and just now noticed your ninebot leaning against it.  I still say pull them out.

Or get some golfballs and drill halfway through them and push them on to the poles.  

Archived