Question on TG F3

Bigrig

My TG F3 came in last night! However I am not quite ready to start riding it for a few reasons. First my protective gear has not arrived. Second, despite what Banggood assured me, it did NOT ship with the 240 to 120V adapter. Oh well, the risks of ordering overseas. I'm sure I can find one somewhere soon enough. It did come charged which is where my question comes in. How loud are these wheels usually while "idling" (not moving)? Mine sounds like a quiet old man grumbling away.

One thing I did learn is not to hold it by the top handle and the bottom of the wheel and turn it up to look at it. When gravity pulls it down and the wheel spins around there was ALMOST enough room for my thumb to be dragged under the housing. Fortunately the edge of the plastic housing is apparently made of hate and razor blades and removed enough skin to allow it to enter! No serious damage except to my dignity. I may be the first person to injure themselves before even getting on their wheel.

Did you check if the charger can work with different voltages? At least some of them work with either 100/120V or 230/240V, so all you need is the right kind of socket plug. On the Firewheel charger it says "100-240V/AC  50/60Hz". So at least that should work with AC-voltage between 100 and 240 volts and frequency from 50 to 60 hertz? We have 230V/50Hz AC here in Finland.

At least both my wheels make some noise when "idling", grumbling could be a good way to describe it, I think the wheel is very quickly balancing back and forth a little while you hold it, although you can't really see it with naked eye. And yes, the tire usually starts to turn the second you lift it up, unless you can keep it pretty much at "zero"-level (not leaning back or forth at all, not even a degree!).

I have to keep my hair in check when doing lift tests, so the it doesn't get tangled in the tire or around the motor and pull my head in... :D  It's also not a good idea to lift the wheel holding from the tire even when it's off. It tends to roll, and you can scrape your fingers to the shell, and yes, the corners are sharp... (yeah, done that :D)

I finally managed to get my Firewheel back together (a bit rushed job, but I'll be opening it up in a few weeks anyway to replace the batteries) and clean most of the house (a family event in the weekend I had forgotten about, and of course the Firewheel was in pieces in our guest room... :P) . Should be able to leave for a test ride soon, after I get a couple of other things done and get the garden shears to cut off a small piece of silicone in an awkward place, that's rubbing agains the tire inside the shell... :rolleyes:

No serious damage except to my dignity. I may be the first person to injure themselves before even getting on their wheel.

lol, :D

You don't need a 240-120V converter indeed. All wheel chargers accept 120V to 240V, it's written on the label.

Oh it was off when I picked it up! I grew up on a farm and have a healthy respect for powered shafts. Lost a few acquaintances over the years that way. At least I am in good company on that. The charger is a full 100-240V rated one, I just need to pick up the physical adapter to allow me to plug it in (or just cut it off and wire a new US plug on).
As part of my protective gear order I also ordered more bumper foam (in black to match my wheel, unlike the lime green it came with). When I put it on I will hit those sharp edges with some wet/dry sandpaper.

You can get an adapter from Radio Shack. Otherwise, you'll wait another 2 to 3 weeks for that thing to arrive.

cheers

Unfortunately all the local 'Shacks are gone due to the bankruptcy.  However I am an Amazon Prime member so I have a trio of adapters winging their way to me now. Should be here on Tuesday. It will be interesting to see which shows up first, the adapters or the remainder of my order from Banggood.

Archived