Any problems with winter road salt?

rdalcanto

3 hours ago, JimB said:

It's a shame that this thread got repurposed for discussion of fat bikes.  I was more interested in the original road salt posting.

Road salt corrodes unprotected metal.  Ride in it at your own risk. What else would you like to know? ?

7 hours ago, JimB said:

It's a shame that this thread got repurposed for discussion of fat bikes.  I was more interested in the original road salt posting.

Yep, I was just showing that my aluminum frame Fat Bike, after 3 years of very high salt exposure, has no rust and the bearings in the bottom bracket and wheels are still smooth.  :blink:

What about condensation?  When you take the wheel from a warm room to put in the car and it's near freezing outside, the temperature change can caused water to form inside the wheel.  Also coming back in from cold to warm.

Combine that with road salt, the corrosion would be much worse.  Probably the fatbikes stay in the garage where the temperature change is minimal.  Also the fatbikes have very little electronics.

However, the wheels are pretty much sealed, the boards are coated with resin, and the wire connectors are pretty much moisture proof.  

The pedals are aluminum, and would probably be the easiest place to look for salt corrosion.  Especially where the screws that hold the pedals to the wheel would be a good place to keep an eye on.  If they are pitting very slowly, probably no need to worry about road salt,  If one pedal suddenly breaks off while riding, then there is a problem.

I know cars from the Rust Belt look like crap, but they still drive, even when the back floorboard rusts through and your girlfriends little brother thinks it's alright to drop an empty bottle through it and it shatters and your left rear tire goes flat, and it's a dodge, and you snap off the first two wheel studs trying to put on the spare because lefty loosy righty tighty, right, except on some older Chrysler cars where the wheel studs have left hand threads on one side and right hand threads on the other and you are only 16 and don't know that yet:wacko:

Sorry to go off topic there at the end:whistling:

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

I know cars from the Rust Belt look like crap, but they still drive, even when the back floorboard rusts through and your girlfriends little brother thinks it's alright to drop an empty bottle through it and it shatters and your left rear tire goes flat, and it's a dodge, and you snap off the first two wheel studs trying to put on the spare because lefty loosy righty tighty, right, except on some older Chrysler cars where the wheel studs have left hand threads on one side and right hand threads on the other and you are only 16 and don't know that yet:wacko:

Sorry to go off topic there at the end:whistling:

Off topic! What off topic? We're still talking about road salt and corrosion right? No fat tyre bikes in sight. ?

On 1/2/2017 at 7:01 AM, Rehab1 said:

If you must ride in those conditions strap the EUC to the side of your car and run it through a car wash afterwards. 

Why not just wear a wet suit and ride through?

Archived