New to the forum...

Blan

...Hello to all
my name is Blan and I'm from the UK,

I have a quick question for you all:

What is the best Electric Unicycle out there on the market at present for under £400

I want to use it to commute to work on
Distance one way to work is = 6 miles

Cheers

Hi Blan,

In terms of new/first-hand, you're not going to find anything decent for that money (and potentially, it could be dangerous if you buy a low-quality wheel that cuts-out at you at anything above say, 15kph).

Would you consider the used-market? Some bargains to be had in the private sales section of the forum.

Alternatively, if you can stretch your budget to a quality, first-hand wheel.....you'll thank yourself later. Speedyfeet for example have a 'finance' option where you can spread the cost over months (Ninebot E+)

18 minutes ago, Blan said:

Thanks for your reply Paddylaz,
how much would you say I would have to spend on a new / first-hand one?

You want a wheel that has these three qualities:

1) Decent speed (everyone thinks 18kph is warp-speed until they become experienced and then it seems slow)
2) Safety (decent electronics that prohibit a 'cut-out' etc)
3) Decent customer-service (that means being able to have DIRECT communication with your seller, usually via the forum, if problems occur). Remember, relatively speaking this is a brand new technology.....so support is limited. It's not like having a phone malfunction where you have a hundred different possible people/places to turn to for help.

The Ninebot E+ is still considered the 'gold-standard' for eucs in my opinion. You can get it from Ian (Speedyfeet) for £695. That's actually cheap believe it or not for what you're getting.

Wheelgo sell an IPS 132 for £500. It's a reasonable wheel and it looks fantastic but I wouldn't recommend it as I promise if you even 10% enjoy these things (and it will be a lot more than 10%) you WILL want more power/range in the future. Obviously buying a pricey one now is of course cheaper than buying two wheels because you outgrew the first one.

It's a lot of money either way mate but take it from me, it pays to buy quality from the start. I can't emphasise the safety importance too. Having your wheel cutout at 22kph is not fun.

Bottom Line: if it's a choice between a 2nd hand quality wheel or first-hand cheap wheel.........go with the quality.

I would recommend you get the inmotion V5F from Aliexpress. "Rockwheel store" is a very reputable seller and a good number of people here have bought from him.  

The V5F costs £349(3000 yuan) without shipping so maybe 400 'might' get it delivered to your doorstep

A very safe wheel. Speed>25km/h.   It's pretty good.

The reason I'm looking into purchasing an electric unicycle is partly because I'm a tinkerer and partly due to the fascination with the tech, always trying to find alternative modes of electronic powered transport.
So far with help from my brother we have made a friction drive system for my pushbike which zips me up hills, an electric skateboard which was fun and goes like billio lol.
and ever since I saw RYNO a kind of half bike / electric unicycle I've been looking for something similar but at a fraction of the price, then I found this...

1 hour ago, Paddylaz said:

Wheelgo sell an IPS 132 for £500. It's a reasonable wheel and it looks fantastic

Do you know the rated nominal power of the IPS 132? I have 800W in my mind, but that seems too much, given that the InMotion V8 has 800W.

14 minutes ago, Mono said:

Do you know the rated nominal power of the IPS 132? I have 800W in my mind, but that seems too much, given that the InMotion V8 has 800W.

it says 'peak 1300w motor' on the website. Is that right?!

Either way I do love its looks...especially in black. I don't know about anyone else but I've always thought the more 'wheel' that eucs show (i.e. not covered by casing), the better they look. It's why I've always come close in the past to buying a solowheel xtreme, despite its poor top speed and silly pricing.

You should know that EUC s are illegal on English roads and pavement.  Police are looking the other way for now, but that may end tomorrow. One guy in Wales had his wheel confiscated and points on his license and a fine I think.  But he may have damaged a car ( news reports unclear as usual). 

Better to smoke weed, and travel silently in your mind, they won't arrest you for a joint. 

8 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

t says 'peak 1300w motor' on the website. Is that right?!

It might be right, but peak power is probably quite an arbitrary measure.

BTW, do you have riding experience with both the V5F+ and the V8? How does the riding compare?

1 minute ago, Mono said:

It might be right, but peak power probably quite an arbitrary measure.

BTW, do you have riding experience with both the V5F+ and the V8? How does the riding compare?

No, sorry mate. Never tried or seen the v8. I love the look of the v8, but after selling my Ips Lhotz I knew I wanted something lighter and less chunky (I'm not a strong guy lol!).

Having said that........The 25/26kph of the v5f+ is very slightly starting to irritate me. Especially when I have a couple of beers in me and I'm feeling especially fearless. V8 could be my next wheel maybe in a year or so....

Is that your current wheel?

12 minutes ago, Smoother said:

You should know that EUC s are illegal on English roads and pavement.  Police are looking the other way for now, but that may end tomorrow. One guy in Wales had his wheel confiscated and points on his license and a fine I think.  But he may have damaged a car ( new reports unclear as usual). 

Better to smoke weed, and travel silently in your mind, they won't arrest you for a joint. 

aye sounds about right for the UK...(any excuse for slapping some sort of tax on anything)

Rockwheel store in aliexpres has a very good reputation, the wheels have them in Holland and do not have to wait a long time, keep in mind that the wheels do not feel like driving when they only have a 20% battery, because they pite alarms, The tilbak system is activated and that in the ninebot brand can not be deactivated, so look for a wheel with enough autonomy to go i return without squeezing the battery, for me a wheel that runs less than 25 kh can become very Boring in long straights and the dangers of always going to the maximum speed of a slow wheel, one is the overheating and the danger of it being off, luck

Or if you're willing to spend a little more money...go for the gotway mcm4.   You just cannot go wrong with that wheel.    14inch. 800W motor.   30km/h(ive personally done 35km/h gps speed on the wheel, I'm light though. 55kg).   And it's also within your budget.    Just don't go below 340wh when picking a battery

2 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

No, sorry mate. Never tried or seen the v8. I love the look of the v8, but after selling my Ips Lhotz I knew I wanted something lighter and less chunky (I'm not a strong guy lol!).

Having said that........The 25/26kph of the v5f+ is very slightly starting to irritate me. Especially when I have a couple of beers in me and I'm feeling especially fearless. V8 could be my next wheel maybe in a year or so....

Is that your current wheel?

Yes, my most current wheel is a V8 :). It is the only one I own which does not deserve to be called a prototype product anymore.

• 3 months later...

Hi, 
I've got an 'as new' ninebot C+, which i'd sell. I bought it for my wife to learn on.
It hasn't had any use since we're now riding the Gotways. 

It's got about 30 miles on it,  I'm in the UK, would let it go for £400

Let me know if its any good. 

IGNORE ME Just realised that someone has dug up an old post. 

On 31/12/2016 at 3:43 PM, Blan said:

The reason I'm looking into purchasing an electric unicycle is partly because I'm a tinkerer and partly due to the fascination with the tech, always trying to find alternative modes of electronic powered transport.

If you are a tinkerer and even if you prefer to buy a ready to use EUC, please give a look to the OpenSource EGG EUC, where you can look at the technical details and learn for futures small repairs and build by yourself if you prefer: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki

Archived