Wheel on the plane

Daan

Just as a backup plan, if they don't let it through security will you be there with someone who can take it back? With the recent bombing of the plane in Egypt the security guys may be a little more on edge. On the return you'd be pretty screwed, but at least you could prove that you got it through once.

I would bring a printout of some web pages with pictures of the EUC and listing of specs. Keep the URLs of the page so you can go to them live when you are at the airport, in case they think you doctored the printouts. Try to get a page that has one that looks EXACTLY like yours, don't expect them to see that it's the same one but decorated a different color or a bunch of accessories attached. Also try to avoid pages like this one that list the ones with larger batteries as well, that will just add more concern.

Great thread. I would love to take my NB1 320watts on an international flight but don't want to get stuck.

As I will be away a while I am thinking to take the battery out and leave it at home. Buy a new battery at my destination country use it for my holiday and then put it on ebay and see what I can get.

Hi, 

This trip was a success. :) 

I have talked first at the SAS counter in the airport explaining that this EUC has a 130wh battery and if is alright to take it on board as hand luggage ( need to mention that there is no specs written on it anywhere) she took my word for it and checked in her files for battery restrictions and said that is fine. 

Through the security point I have passed like I had a laptop ( no questions asked) 

Then I glided to my gate like a boss (low speed of course so I can be admired) 

My points bellow:

- true that this was denmark and people still take your word ( I hope that will never change- it's nice to be treated that way) but feels like I could bring on a bigger battery size as well. 

- If I do the self check in, there is nobody from the airline checking anything anyway so again could have a bigger battery size as well. Even so, if I go to the counter I can just leave it on the ground and not mentioning that I'm taking "that thing" on board. 

- but does the battery size shows through the scanner at the security point? Again there is no actual place where it says the size of the battery so it's my word against theirs. And I can claim I have any battery size I want, right?

PS : this battery size is perfect for the low risk for me and enough for my travels since I cam charge it between destination points always. Also I don't own another bigger one- which I wish for the city I live in. 

received_1058783884152709.jpeg

On 2015-10-12 18:05:23, robca said:

So, yeah, if you can find a EUC with a <100Wh battery, it can be checked in... but I doubt that an EUC like that would be that useful ;)

So in theory would it be possible to have a travel edition with 99Wh that only drives on "Airport mode" so maybe a bit slower but safe? And then have 2 removable batteries 157Wh (That are clearly marked) in the carry on that you just clip on when you get of the plane.

That would actually be a great idea. Anyhow in the airport you can't just zoom between the people. You have to give them time to awe when you're passing by. And time for them to move as well :)

2 hours ago, Viktiga said:

So in theory would it be possible to have a travel edition with 99Wh that only drives on "Airport mode" so maybe a bit slower but safe? And then have 2 removable batteries 157Wh (That are clearly marked) in the carry on that you just clip on when you get of the plane.

18 hours ago, spikes2020 said:

My IPS 260+ has no marking on how large the battery is either.... Does anyone know if it is 2 batteries that sum up to 260Ah or just one large one?

that would make it 130Ah each, and be under the limit?

When Micro opened his it looked like all the batteries where connected as a single pack. He has also the 260wh

To all of you that are interested to fly your wheels:

I have passed safely 2 airports: Copenhagen and stockholm. I'm happy about the EUC since is fulfilling MY needs. 

However I consider to get another with the biggest battery on the market and no shut downs, of course,  just to ride freely around Copenhagen. 

Just FYI the airline company is your reference point if you can take it on bord ot not, but at the end they can't have the final say since you can just put it on the ground and say " that thing is not coming with me" at check in counter. 

But the security team in the airport will have the final say ( the person at the scanner because they are certified and trained). When your EUC goes through the scanner they will count the cells and do the math if is fine or not -or at least try. 

We are safe to pass because the batteries are small cells and all connected in a safe in closure. So at the end if anything would go wrong ( God forbid) the person at the scanner will have the final responsability. But you'll have yours as well- I think. Hope to never find out. 

So bottom line more cells you have, smaller chances to pass through. 

@esaj cold you enlighten us, mere mortals, once again about how you do the math of the Wh and how can you find those details? 

PS: what would be the max size of a cell in case one of the security guy wants to make our lives miserable so we don't need to open the wheels to show? For example ips zero is blank, has no sticker with the specs of the battery. 

Thanks a lot

2 minutes ago, Paul Panait said:

@esaj cold you enlighten us, mere mortals, once again about how you do the math of the Wh and how can you find those details? 

The total Wh of the wheel is calculated as

Output voltage (V) * Capacity of a single pack (Ah) * number of packs   (assuming all the packs are the same capacity)

If for some reason there'd be packs with different capacities in parallel, the total Wh would be

Output voltage (V) * (Capacity of pack 1 + capacity of pack 2 + capacity of ...)

Usually the output voltage for a 16-cell pack (which seems to be more or less the "standard" in our wheels) is calculated to be 60V, which isn't exactly right, but near enough. For more precise value, one could use the "real" nominal voltage of the cells (usually around 3.6 or 3.7V, depending on cell chemistry), yielding 57.6...59.2V for 16 cells in series. 15S packs are used in Ninebots (marked as 55.5V in their packs, if I remember correctly), some older IPSs also seem to have used even lower number of cells in series (13 or 14?), but apparently all their current models are 16S. LiFePos and Li-Titanate have lower per-cell nominal voltages, but you won't find them in our wheels anyway (except the older Solowheels).

For a more detailed answer, the cell capacities are usually marked as mAh (milli-ampere-hours), that's 1/1000th of an ampere hour (Ah), so 1000mAh = 1Ah. The final watt hour -capacity of the entire pack is calculated by multiplying the total voltage (V) of all cells in series (usually using the nominal voltage) with the total capacity in ampere hours (Ah).

When there's more than one pack in parallel, the voltage of the packs is the same (or at least should be, I don't think it would work very well to put packs with different voltages in parallel ;)), so the total voltage doesn't go up no matter how many packs there are in parallel. Instead, the total capacity increases. So:

-Placing cells or packs in series -> voltage goes up, capacity stays the same
-Placing cells or packs in parallel -> voltage stays the same, capacity goes up

Typical cell-sizes used in our wheels are 2.2Ah (2200mAh), 2.9Ah (2900mAh), 3.2Ah (3200mAh) and 3.5Ah (3500mAh). The ones above 3Ah are more rare, usually found only in custom packs (as they're more expensive, especially the ones that can really give out big currents). The nominal watt-hour ratings per pack would then be:

2.2Ah * 60V = 132Wh

2.9Ah * 60V = 174Wh

3.2Ah * 60V = 192Wh

3.5Ah * 60V = 210Wh

There are cells with other values (between 1400-3500mAh, going up by 50mAh or 100mAh), but those above seem to be the most common. Some "more unknown" manufacturers outside the big reputable manufactures (LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Sanyo...) claim to have over 4000mAh cells, but so far all the tests I've seen have shown that the cells are fake and usually even below 2000mAh in reality (like Ultrafires).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two Solowheel Classic and one E+ on the Plane (Moscow- Egypt "Sharm el sheikh") 

Because of the air crash.
Currently just two Solowheel Classic were returned to Moscow but without battery :(
Two batteries and one E+ still in Egypt :(
But I am sure that we will get battery & e+ later :)

2 hours ago, ScooterB said:

The batteries in our EUCs are a risk. In Melbourne a house burned. I think this is a serious problem that has to be adressed. An airline that lets EUCs with LiPo batteries on board is out of it’s mind. 

Solowheel use LIFePo4 it is safe enough. 
The laptop battery very dangerous, but we can take on board laptop easily. :D

http://dsl.by/uchenye-nashli-prichinu-vozgoraniya-noutbukov

1 hour ago, Niko said:

That would only be relevant if charging were allowed during the flight. 

I have strong doubts the incident happened with LiPo batteries. 

We have pretty good evidence that current battery technology isn't particularly unsafe to take into planes as hand luggage. This is done millions of times each day (there are close to 10 million flight passengers each day, so we transport a million or more laptop batteries and even more mobile phone batteries per day), and I cannot remember any major accident to be related to batteries in hand luggage.

OK, that sounds good. But I think in most EUCs there are LiPo batteries built in and I know from quadcopter ethusiasts that they store these batteries, which are much smaller, in safe metal boxes because they can explode and cause fire even when they are not being charged. Hm, don’t know :mellow: 

Cell phone batteries can catch fire too but everybody on a plane has them and planes have outlets for charging too. LiPo don't really explode they catch fire and the fire is hard to put out but they can be put out. As was mentioned earlier most of the issue comes from overcharging the battery. LiPo batteries can be stored and charged safely. 

5 hours ago, ScooterB said:

The batteries in our EUCs are a risk. In Melbourne a house burned. I think this is a serious problem that has to be adressed. An airline that lets EUCs with LiPo batteries on board is out of it’s mind. 

This is from a hoverboard not a EUC and I believe the Australia government is putting measures in place to prevent more fires. Most of the airlines now prohibit bringing hoverboards on planes so I believe this issue is starting to be addressed. Some of the generic hoverboards have mismarked batteries which can lead to overcharging which can lead to fires. Has there been a fire linked to a EUC?

1 hour ago, ThatCharlieDude said:

This is from a hoverboard not a EUC and I believe the Australia government is putting measures in place to prevent more fires. Most of the airlines now prohibit bringing hoverboards on planes so I believe this issue is starting to be addressed. Some of the generic hoverboards have mismarked batteries which can lead to overcharging which can lead to fires. Has there been a fire linked to a EUC?

Unfortunately yes. Maybe bags like this could help. 

So just to test it out, I tried to fly with my kingsong back home from CES. And guess what.... I succeeded. I flew on Southwest who in december did formally ban "hoverboards" and other "similar electronic devices". https://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/special_luggage_faq.html

I went through TSA security just fine which didn't surprise me at all since they are only concerned if you have a bomb, guns, or sharp knives. The TSA guy doing the chemical swab on my kingsong even asked me about speed and range on it. The true test was actual southwest employees which none of them said anything to me. Now I'm not exactly sure if any of them actually saw my kingsong (I know many passengers did) since I did not try to draw any attention to it. But at least one of them had to since I was one of the last ones on the plane and was trying to find a spot to put my kingsong in. What all of this ultimately means to me is if you want to guarantee that you'll have no trouble flying with your wheel at least in America, just put your EUC in a rolling luggage bag. It'll get through TSA just fine when they inspect it and the airlines are not going to randomly ask you and everybody else at the gate to open up their carry on luggage for banned devices .

IMG_20160110_113149.jpg

IMG_20160110_113212.jpg

IMG_20160110_141453.jpg

On the 25.01.2015 I will fly to Helsinki. I need the Wheel since I have a lot to walk. However at the airport, I was considering to put it in a cloth bag so I can get it on the Plane. 

I guess that is a risk to have it with you. I would need a small set of screwdrivers to attach to my keys. Does anybody have any idea where could I get one? 

They need to look like keys so not longer than 5 Cm. So I can open the EUC and remove the battery if there is anything. 

Upon return I will have 2 flights with Finnair. In total 3 flights. Keep you posted. 

Personally, I do wish that I am allowed to bring my EUC on board with me as carry on or checked-in luggage.  However, IATA came up with these stringent rules because there were incidents of Li-ion batteries spontaneously combusting due to the change in temperature and/or pressure.  As such, I do not mean any offence but if you are able to bring or sneak your EUC on board, this is quite unfair to other passengers as your action may threaten their safety.  No matter how remote the possibility of the Li-ion battery spontaneously combusting is, if it does happen, then the lives on board may be adversely affected.

Just food for thought....

8 hours ago, citiboi said:

Personally, I do wish that I am allowed to bring my EUC on board with me as carry on or checked-in luggage.  However, IATA came up with these stringent rules because there were incidents of Li-ion batteries spontaneously combusting due to the change in temperature and/or pressure.  As such, I do not mean any offence but if you are able to bring or sneak your EUC on board, this is quite unfair to other passengers as your action may threaten their safety.  No matter how remote the possibility of the Li-ion battery spontaneously combusting is, if it does happen, then the lives on board may be adversely affected.

Just food for thought....

Good point. The thing is that you are right. the incidents I have seen they included small batteries. Bigger....

• 3 years later...

I want to ship my KS XL from Minneasota, US to Pakistan for next winter. I plan to stay there for couple of months and I want to enjoy non snow days there. My problem is shipping cost. I checked with UPS & DHL they are charging $450+ one way and I dont even know if they will ship it. 

I am looking for a cheaper alternative via sea, but cannot seem to find an reliable options on google.

Do you have any suggestions?

Archived