Calorie burn

Luke

Just curious if anyone has any stats for average calories per km burnt on an EU? I assume it will be somewhat less than walking or cycling?

Once it finally arrives, I'm planning on taking my Ninebot One E+ through forest tracks and want to link it up with MapMyRide and MyFitnessPal on my Android phone to keep track of calories, distance, speed, trail, etc.  Just not sure whether they'll support a workout mode for self balancing scooters, or if I can add a custom one.

Judging from my original exhaustion after half hour sessions when I started the number of calories used when learning is huge but once you've got the hang of it its just about effortless, comparable to just standing up. :)

Judging from my original exhaustion after half hour sessions when I started the number of calories used when learning is huge but once you've got the hang of it its just about effortless, comparable to just standing up. :)

:lol:  Well apparently standing up burns 50 calories more than sitting down, at around 147 calories per hour, according to this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24532996

So any balancing, knee bending and core use will add to that a bit I guess.

(this post was written while standing!)

I'll post my anecdotal story for newbie readers/riders.  I have asthma and led a sedentary existence for a couple of years.  Honestly, I bought a wheel as a potential transport that would be easier on my breathing than walking.  In other words, I was being a little lazy.  

However, my experience learning and riding disavowed me of that misconception.  Having ridden every day for over 3 months, I have lost about 10 pounds while simultaneously increasing my core muscle mass a great deal.  It is good exercise for sure.  One thing good for me is that while it is vigorous enough exercise for me, it is basically non-aerobic.  I work my core muscles without becoming out of breath. 

This is a great alternative to bicycling for the asthmatic or short of breath.  

I know this was slightly off topic, but readers awaiting their first wheel might be surprised at the physical workout that these things can give.  Someone once remarked to me: "...so it's like a Segway for fit people!?!!"   Yeah, that seems about right. 

I feel it's a bit like balance boards:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_board

This discusses Balance Board calories (and likens it to Skateboarding interestingly): http://woman.thenest.com/calories-burned-per-hour-balance-board-12494.html

Basically, around 300-444 calories, depending on weight.  Perhaps that's a fair figure for EU riding then.

So, somewhere in the region of 20-30 calories/km, travelling at 15km/h.  It may be more off-road I imagine.

MapMyFitness / MapMyRide have a workout profile for Skateboarding, which might be close enough.

:lol:  Well apparently standing up burns 50 calories an hour vs 42 for sitting down, according to this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24532996

So any balancing, knee bending and core use will add to that a bit I guess.

(this post was written while standing!)

This is closer to the truth I think.  Skateboarding you have to provide active acceleration along with balance, so you are doing a lot more work.  An EUC isn't nothing due to the balance, but as Gimlet said once you get the hang of it your calorie burn should be low.  This is powered transport - by its very nature it is supposed to be not that much work.

Don't get me wrong, if you're going to practice tricks then your effort will go back to similar levels of a beginner and it will be exhausting, but simple A to B travel is practically effortless unless you are going cross country or on some other very irregular surface.

Don't get me wrong, if you're going to practice tricks then your effort will go back to similar levels of a beginner and it will be exhausting, but simple A to B travel is practically effortless unless you are going cross country or on some other very irregular surface.

Yes, and like you say, more effort for cross-country too.  This thread, someone has used Polar to check their heart rate and calories on 2 hour forest track runs, which indicates >300 calories per hour in their case.  I don't know how accurate those monitor devices are though.
http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/111-i-plan-to-test/?page=3#comment-1461

Yes, and like you say, more effort for cross-country too.  This thread, someone has used Polar to check their heart rate and calories on 2 hour forest track runs, which indicates >300 calories per hour in their case.  I don't know how accurate those monitor devices are though.
http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/111-i-plan-to-test/?page=3#comment-1461

Yeah, that's Vee73, but he rides hard in the forest paths, check his videos and you'll see what I mean:  https://www.youtube.com/user/taskulamppufriikki/videos

Very different from "normal" riding, you could actually call that exercise. When riding normally on the streets, after the initial practice period, you notice how small the movements used to control the wheel are. So not much burning there, I'd suppose. Maybe around same as walking slowly? But I'm only guessing, I have no idea in reality.

Well I use my wheel to walk the dogs. It wheel the dogs. Used to walk about 1.5K every day. They now get about 4K. 

I I get stopped load with people asking me if it defeats the object of having of having dogs but actually not excersising using the wheel. 

I I just explain that the unit is quite heavy and actually have to carry it 300m from the car park to the riding area. So that's all the excersising I need in one day. 

Well I use my wheel to walk the dogs. It wheel the dogs. Used to walk about 1.5K every day. They now get about 4K. 

I I get stopped load with people asking me if it defeats the object of having of having dogs but actually not excersising using the wheel. 

I I just explain that the unit is quite heavy and actually have to carry it 300m from the car park to the riding area. So that's all the excersising I need in one day. 

I was thinking about asking him many people use there EU to walk their dogs.  I saw a video of one guy doing it.  That's one of the 2 reasons I can think of to justify getting an EU.  Right now I walk my dogs about a mile a couple of days a week for their exercise as well as mine.  If I got an EU (and after I get good at it) I could run them.  I can't really run that well/far.  If I run them I think I would run them one at a time though.  Less chaos.  I think/hope they would like a good run (although two of them are starting to get old).  We'll see.

Yep, @Michael Vu had a great video of him walking his dog. I have a little dog that is about 10 years old so he maybe likes to run for 10 seconds and then stop. Then I'd run over the dog and fall off.

Cool video.  That wasn't the one I had seen.  That put a smile on my face.  Dogs seem to love to run.  My 3 dogs are 65 - 80 pounds.  I do worry a little because I did have a bike wreck years ago when my previous dog crossed right in front of me.

I was quite surprised at the amount of calories burnt for fairly light intensity activities.

http://www.fatsecret.co.uk/fitness/motorbike-riding

Those stats are for a 70kg (11 stone) person, and I'm a lot heavier than that and would need to make some adjustments, but motorcycling and doing the ironing both take around 220 calories per hour, so I would be surprised if EU wasn't similar.  The only sure way to find out though, would be to wear a monitor and then try street and offroad to check it.

It's been enlightening looking into this though!

I was thinking about asking him many people use there EU to walk their dogs.  I saw a video of one guy doing it.  That's one of the 2 reasons I can think of to justify getting an EU.  Right now I walk my dogs about a mile a couple of days a week for their exercise as well as mine.  If I got an EU (and after I get good at it) I could run them.  I can't really run that well/far.  If I run them I think I would run them one at a time though.  Less chaos.  I think/hope they would like a good run (although two of them are starting to get old).  

Another workout idea:  Ride as slow as you can, for as long as you can.  That will make you work. 

Maybe you should just walk then?  In my opinion people should ride the wheel for fun, and then do something else for a calorie burn.  Unless you're using the "its exercise too" argument to convince a spouse to let you buy one.  Then I'm sure riding a wheel burns hella calories!

Maybe you should just walk then?  In my opinion people should ride the wheel for fun, and then do something else for a calorie burn.  Unless you're using the "its exercise too" argument to convince a spouse to let you buy one.  Then I'm sure riding a wheel burns hella calories!

Where shall I send your consulting fee on what I should and shouldn't do?  :)

[Many of us are of different ages and physical conditions.  What might be exercise to some may not be to others.  No one-size-fits-all needed.]

For me, any calories burnt, wherever, are good.  Walking the dog separately = some more calories.  All good data for MyFitnessPal app (and my weight loss!  After all, a lighter rider is more nimble).

It's certainly good to know that even while having fun, I can be burning over 200 calories an hour...  All good to me!

Where shall I send your consulting fee on what I should and shouldn't do?  :)

[Many of us are of different ages and physical conditions.  What might be exercise to some may not be to others.  No one-size-fits-all needed.]

Yeah, ok, I get that.  My poorly made point is only that there are more efficient ways of exercise - even low impact exercise - if calorie burn or exercise is your goal.  Yes, you will burn some calories riding the wheel.  But in my opinion no one should consider riding an EUC as a replacement for traditional exercise.  

You can send my fee to my EUC supplier.  I think they're getting all my money anyway.  ;)

Archived