Wee J wants a new wheel

WeeJ

:rolleyes:

Ok, Wee J already has an airwheel x3,  he said he really wants a ninebot for his birthday (he will be 11),  though obviously there is a bit of a diff in price between a ninebot and an x3.

What are folks opinions on the best wheels for kids?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, WeeJ said:

:rolleyes:

Ok, Wee J already has an airwheel x3,  he said he really wants a ninebot for his birthday (he will be 11),  though obviously there is a bit of a diff in price between a ninebot and an x3.

What are folks opinions on the best wheels for kids?

Thanks

Definitly you dont want to go him to fast....

I would vote then for a "normal" Version of the V5 from Inmotion(not V5F+ or V5D, to fast!)....

Inmotion has proved to be one of the best Producers in 2016 with nearly no fault reports!

The v5 with it's 14inch size would be definitly the strongest and best to do tricks he is doing...and not to fast

Is Wee J already good at EUC? 

If he really wants to have a ninebot and you need a good deal, I think it's probably better to check Amazon FR regularly. If I remember it correctly, they sold One E+ at EUR599 for one day. Otherwise, One S2 at EUR729 is another good option.

I agree that limiting speed for your son is probably desirable, at least for a while.  The gotcha here is that WeeJ may eventually outgrow his wheel's limited range/speed (in a few years) and in the same price range as a V5 you have several other models to consider.

For about $500-600 you can buy (all prices are US prices):

Segway/Ninebot One S1 ($599, 12.5 MPH)

King Song 14B ($499-575 at various sellers, 15 MPH)

InMotion V5F ($599 at ewheels.com thru Dec, 15.5 MPH)

I hate to say it but with the rapid evolution of wheels, models like V5 and some of the Ninebots are now obsolete.  If you settle on one of those, look for a bargain price (<$500).

If you can find a wheel you like with programmable speed limits, you'll have an ideal situation for a young rider. 

I'm not sure how many skaters or rollerbladers you guys know.....but if he's 11...if anything he's going to be safer on a faster wheel than one of us old bastards (well, Im 32). But still. 

Kids are indestructible at that age. And don't forget if he knows how to ride a bicycle he's ALREADY riding at speeds no mainstream EUC can reach anyway.

Just get the best wheel you can afford, from someone with a stellar reputation. 

And make sure he's wearing decent knee pads and MOST IMPORTANTLY high quality wrist guards. If you fall off the wheel your palms are on the front line......

5 minutes ago, WeeJ said:

he isn't bad on his wheel, he already rides the x3 quite well,  thanks for the advice so far.  most of you will know him from his euc competition entry.

Nice. Talented lad!

Go for a Ninebot e+ (dirt cheap on speedyfeet right now) or an Inmotion v5f+ (my current wheel, exquisite) from Jason/Wheelgo.
Can't go wrong ?

Let me know if you guys are ever down in London! ?

13 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

I'm not sure how many skaters or rollerbladers you guys know.....but if he's 11...if anything he's going to be safer on a faster wheel than one of us old bastards (well, Im 32). But still. 

Kids are indestructible at that age. And don't forget if he knows how to ride a bicycle he's ALREADY riding at speeds no mainstream EUC can reach anyway.

Just get the best wheel you can afford, from someone with a stellar reputation. 

And make sure he's wearing decent knee pads and MOST IMPORTANTLY high quality wrist guards. If you fall off the wheel your palms are on the front line......

thanks,  yes i do need to get him into the habit of wearing wrist guards and a helmet!

19 minutes ago, WeeJ said:

thanks,  yes i do need to get him into the habit of wearing wrist guards and a helmet!

Yeah. I mean I certainly don't want to give potentially reckless advice here, but........... I'd argue the wrist guards are an order of magnitude MORE important than a helmet. I've never worn a helmet or needed one, but my 'Triple 8 Hired Hands' have saved my arse on several occasions, especially when I was a beginner.

Unlike a bicycle your hands are constantly free and ready, so they will always be the first 'over the trenches' so to speak, should something unsavoury occur. ?

8 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Yeah. I mean I certainly don't want to give potentially reckless advice, but....... I'd argue the wrist guards are an order of magnitude MORE important than a helmet. I've never worn a helmet or needed one, but my 'Triple 8 Hired Hands' have saved my arse on several occasions, especially when I was a beginner.

Unlike a bicycle your hands are constantly free and ready, so they will always be the first 'over the trenches' so to speak, should something unsavoury occur. ?

That advice is spot on.

My 11 yr old grandson loves riding his NB1 E+. Here is a video of his 3rd practice session this past summer. Yes wrist guards and helmet are a must! I know...I know...where are his wrist guards? He began wearing them shortly after this video was taken.

i do think kids often adapt and learn things more quickly and easily than adults.  so whatever wheel he goes for i am confident he will manage it.  I just wasn't sure on the 16" wheel over the 14".

8 minutes ago, WeeJ said:

i do think kids often adapt and learn things more quickly and easily than adults.  so whatever wheel he goes for i am confident he will manage it.  I just wasn't sure on the 16" wheel over the 14".

A 14" wheel should be perfectly fine. I personally prefer 16" over 14" because it gives a larger safety margin while commuting. But then, I am also 185cm tall and for playing in the park I don't have this preference for a larger wheel diameter.

yes i would prefer a 14" wheel for him to be honest,  though the one he wants a ninebot is a 16" wheel, so may push him towards the smaller wheel.  he is probably around 135cm tall and approx 30kg.  

One thing to say about wheel size: when it comes to the issue of balance & stability (NOT the ability to negotiate bumps/curbs/ramps etc), the wheel diameter difference between 14/16 is largely irrelevant I would've thought.

Far more important is:

1)The thickness of the tire
2)Tire pressure.

In other words, surface area is what counts here. The Inmotion has a 1.95"/2.125" tire (depending on which make you get), so despite it being a 14incher I find it more stable than a ninebot tire, which is slimmer than both.

But not QUITE as stable as my old Ips Lhotz, which had a chunky 2.5".

For beginners especially, tire pressure is everything too. Learning to ride an euc at 55psi is a WHOLE different ball game to an euc at 38psi.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Here is a video of his 3rd practice session this past summer. 

It took me at least 3 weeks to get to that level! I always wonder how kids learn fast. Is it center of gravity or sheer faith in the tech? What is the secret for kids learning fast?

7 minutes ago, Planetpapi said:

It took me at least 3 weeks to get to that level! I always wonder how kids learn fast. Is it center of gravity or sheer faith in the tech? What is the secret for kids learning fast?

Kids don't have the same fear of falling and breaking themselves as we do.  Haha well that's my theory.  They just jump on something and go for it without thinking too much about it.  

9 minutes ago, Planetpapi said:

Their brains are designed for this task, whereas not so much the brains of adults anymore. 

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

.where are his wrist guards? He began wearing them shortly after this video was taken.

@Rehab1 at his age and weight, probably the palm protector part is more important.  The plastic really took all the scrape one time when I hit a patch of sand and went sailing forwards hand out.:shock2:

22 minutes ago, steve454 said:

@Rehab1 at his age and weight, probably the palm protector part is more important.  The plastic really took all the scrape one time when I hit a patch of sand and went sailing forwards hand out.:shock2:

He is a tough kid! I just hope he keeps wearing protective gear when I am not around. My son would have been proud of him!

Archived