IPS 191 Lhotz review

MaxLinux

@MaxLinux I already saw your review on Youtube, excellent review.  I did not know till then that you had 2 of them, I have seen a couple of other videos on them and always thought they were good wheels.

I especially like the wide tire, the app looks pretty good, too bad the front and rear lights have to be selected each time you open the app.

i don't remember how I stumbled on the Youtube review, I was searching something else and saw it and watched the video. good editing and filming.

i liked how you came across as really liking the wheel, but you also gave an unbiased review of a couple of things you would like improved.  And that is the first time I have seen the pedal retention system on it showing the ratchet mechanism to hold the pedals up, good design it seems.

Hi MaxLinux.  Nice video review.  I hadn't noticed the directionality on the wheel.  Usually directionality is for water shedding (and I don't ride when it's too wet), but I guess I'll pay attention now.  I've actually been riding "backwards", with the power switch (and battery indicator) visible.  Putting the wheel in the right direction, puts the battery indicator behind you (unfortunate).

I've been riding mine now for a couple of months and would echo most of what you said.  Note, this is my first and only EUC.

I'm very happy with the wheel.  This is a serious machine that I use as part of my daily commute.  It is not a toy.  I like the 16" wheel and feel that it would be safer than smaller wheels over bumps, uneven sidewalks, etc.  I end my commute with a hill that is much longer (and I think steeper) than the one Max climbed (10-11% for about 1/4 mile).  It cuts out about half-way up about 50% of the time, but a simple power-cycle and it finishes the hill.  I've passes a guy huffing as he walked up the hill with his dogs and he couldn't believe that the wheel could handle the hill.  I have the black&red and like the color/looks.

The few things that aren't stellar:

• The friction pedals do stay up, but they can be pretty hard to pull down.  You really have to grab/tug.  Broke a couple of finger nails.  I think a magnetic catch might be a little nicer/easier.
  • The power charging cap (as mentioned in other posts) doesn't stay on.  It pops up then flops around.  I think I've fixed this by wrapping some teflon plumbers tape around the threads of the charging port.  A plastic screw-on cap would be nicer.
  • I can confirm the issue with the front/back lights.  However, I just don't bother with these any more.  My commute home is in the dark, and quite honestly, the front/back lights are of insufficient brightness to be useful.  I carry a flashlight to see with.  Also, even with the lights (front/back/side), you will want more visibility at night.  I bought a couple of illuminated visibility belts (Amazon:  http://a.co/eCcYsnU ).  I wear one on my backpack (facing back) and one on my helmet (facing front).  I am very please with the extra visibility of these belts and would highly recommend them.
  • The Lhotz lettering does fall off.  In fact, about 1/3 of my lettering came off immediately as I tried to carefully remove the protective plastic covering used in shipping.  I think the lettering looks quite nice, and it's a shame that it falls off.  However, I have covered much of the EUC with padding (like: http://r.ebay.com/sVY7Gc ) so most of the lettering wouldn't show anyway.
  • A trolley handle would be nice, and given the shape is difficult to add.  I have a post of a DIY handle that I made which works OK, but a manufacturer solution would be better:  http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/5880-diy-trolley-handle-for-ips-xima-lhotz/
  • I'm really not sure about the most legit way to buy these in the USA.  Doesn't seem to be many distributors.  I bought mine (new) on eBay.  I wonder if warranty/service will be an issue.  Might need to mail it to China???

These things are nits though.  I would still highly recommend this wheel.

Best thing about being an EUC rider... When your teenage son posts your picture to snapchat titled: "When your Dad is the coolest kid on the block..."  :)

Hi there,

nice review, but as a fellow Lhotz rider I have some annotations:

- the grip tape provided with the wheel didn't last two minutes for me. Eventually I removed it completely after I figured out that my shoes are sticking to the bare metal of the pedals better than the grip tape does. Using my working shoes I had no problem without griptape, but my "civilian" shoes don't grip that well, so i added some skateboard grip tape to the pedals. Doesn't cost a leg (3€ for a full deck, which sould give you enough material to regrip both pedals 3-4 times) and seems to last quite well.

- Recently I had the possibillity to compare an old Lhotz (all red LEDs, 30 kph) with my newer one which should match your white Lhotz. I noticed soem differences: The older one feels a bit stiffer and more responsive, but has a tendency to shift around the pedal tilt a bit when changing speed or doing tight turns. The newer one is a little bit softer while acceletating or braking, but has a much more stable pedal angle. The owner of the older one and me both prefer the feel of the newer model.

- The pedal retention by friction is vulnerable to dirt. The toothed friction plates are made of plastic. On my wheel, one pedal got stuck in the down position after some wet sand and dirt came in... when later that day the wheel fell on that side, the pedal was forced upwards braking the dogs connecting the friction plates to the pedal. No big deal, for now it even stays up, but it's only a question of time until it will flop up and down freely.

- The case can take quite a beating. The Lhotz is a proper sturdy machine!

As for all the other benefits of this wheel you mentioned, I can only agree! I absolutely love riding it around anywhere I like. No matter what underground you throw at it, the big fat tire handles it, within reasonable limitations of course. I say, anywhere you can ride a bicycle, you can ride a Lhotz.

The Lhotz is a wonderful wheel. 

It was my first EUC.....not as slim or sexy as a ninebot/inmotion but a real workhorse. Awesome 'industrial' look to it and of course that nice chunky tire. And man could it take a beating.

It's good that IPS keep on making little improvements to it, like replacing the power cap with a decent scew-on job and more control through the app.

I miss it a bit, actually.

• 2 weeks later...

So today I opened my Lhotz, which is about two and a half month old, and was a little bit surprised to find the base plates ot the stainless steel handle had startet to rust. So I checked with a magnet, and yeah, the handle itself is really stainless steel, which is not magnetic, but the base plates are magnetic, and obviously not stainless. Foto-0356.jpg

Well, the main reason I opened the case was to see, if i could really squeeze 16 additional 18650s in there, and hell yes, this will work out! I guess i'Ill be the first one to own a 510Wh IPS 191 Lhotz :):D:w00t2:

@MaxLinux, do you have any comments on my earlier statements concerning the comparison of the older and newer version of the Lhotz?

6 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

Well, the main reason I opened the case was to see, if i could really squeeze 16 additional 18650s in there, and hell yes, this will work out! I guess i'Ill be the first one to own a 510Wh IPS 191 Lhotz :):D:w00t2:

Please post back on the specifics of your mod.  Waiting to see how it goes.

13 hours ago, Slaughthammer said:

So today I opened my Lhotz, which is about two and a half month old, and was a little bit surprised to find the base plates ot the stainless steel handle had startet to rust. So I checked with a magnet, and yeah, the handle itself is really stainless steel, which is not magnetic, but the base plates are magnetic, and obviously not stainless. Foto-0356.jpg

@MaxLinux, do you have any comments on my earlier statements concerning the comparison of the older and newer version of the Lhotz?

If you do:

Think very good about how you will connect the extra 16cells to the board......

Even as IPS has no "extra" BMS-System on it's Batterie pack's and just one central BMS...

so you will have to connect all 16 new cells extra to the existing BMS...not an easy thing to do

On 1/8/2017 at 4:29 PM, Slaughthammer said:

do you have any comments on my earlier statements concerning the comparison of the older and newer version of the Lhotz?

Yes, my reaction to the newer version was that it seemed to give an even smoother ride than the older one. However, going back to the older one, it was so nice to ride that I was not sure if there truly was a difference, or if it was just my imagination. I do think the newer Lhotz version rides slightly better, but it is not a big difference. Your experiences with the pedal retention system are interesting. It seems logical that such problems could occur, but so far I have not experienced any difficulties whatsoever with the pedals.

Archived