EUC costs vs elder care costs

Bob Eisenman

As a note to younger riders looking forward.

Did you know that a decade ago the cost of caring for a parent in a nursing home could run up to the retail value of 9 Ninebot One E+ per month for a period of time measured in years?

So be good to your Mom and Dad and they will live long and happy lives.

...whereas nowadays it would cost more like 3 Ninebots per month to keep the parents looked after. So is the takeaway message for young people here "Off your parents before they get old and ill, so you can continue to afford new EUCs" ??! That's not very Christmassy ! :)

I find it persistently difficult to parse the OP sentence, but maybe the message was that if we wait another ten years then selling our 9 used Ninebots will make the money to pay for locking our parents even for another 8 months?

Bob, I didn't know that.  But I do know that a fortnight ago the cost of feeding four cats amounted to the retail value of a hamburger at Red Robin plus an order of fries at Steak'n'Shake consumed daily for a period of time measured in hours.  So I'm always good to my cats, so they won't go after my hamburgers.  And don't even get me started on my elderly parents angling for my wheel.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

money to pay for locking our parents even for another 8 months?

Is it a custom in your country to 'Lock' up your parents?:o

43 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Is it a custom in your country to 'Lock' up your parents?:o

It's not in yours? How do you prevent them from escaping then? :huh:

More importantly,.....Bob - are you locked up right NOW?!?!

Was this whole thing a cry for help? Did you post this via specially-trained carrier pigeon that you released from your top floor cell?

Give us a sign, Bob!!!!

WE'RE COMING FOR YOU!

No, ten years ago it was 9 ninebots a month.  Ten years in the future it will be more.  Maybe 12 a month.  That's about 12,000 dollars a month.

*****good answer******^^^^^*****

Think about it and the cost of a car and being told by your employer two years after forking out the money to a nursing home so you could continue to work that they can't afford to fund you anymore because the grant was not renewed. Then you find that no one wants to hire you because your 16 year salary increments made your price too expensive. So you find a job or two swinging a hammer in a shop or sorting used books covered with dust and mildew or working small parts assembly under the supervision of a Cambodian refugee turned US citizen. You quit or get laid off without being re-hired.

Then you collect a lump sum early retirement taxed appropriately for your 'young' age from your best employer. The stock market tanks shortly afterward. Then you spend it, go on food stamps and ultimately sell the parents house for income. Your fat, your lower back goes out from time to time , you have high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes and to make it to the grocery store without depending on mass transit you buy an EUC.

You buy a cheap one do a faceplant, go another hundred miles and buy a decent Ninebot. The Ninebot is like night and day, costs nothing to run and replaces the Chevy with 250k miles on it that you sold to someone for next to nothing before running out of cash. At one point you go to the past employer who makes 90k + a year (over a million $ since being cut) and explain your case. Response: Institutional rules prohibit re-hire after collecting a retirement.

So if a rider risks damaging a few hundred dollars worth of EUC  in cold weather....so what? It's been a good ride for 5,000 Km and counting and costs less than a car. Just keep it off the Top of the Lincoln Memorial (another post).

Don't worry about me...and I guess get the weird post award for 2016. You guys are awesome.

57 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Think about it and the cost of a car and being told by your employer two years after forking out the money to a nursing home so you could continue to work that they can't afford to fund you anymore because the grant was not renewed. Then you find that no one wants to hire you because your 16 year salary increments made your price too expensive. So you find a job or two swinging a hammer in a shop or sorting used books covered with dust and mildew or working small parts assembly under the supervision of a Cambodian refugee turned US citizen. You quit or get laid off without being re-hired.... and so on ... Then you collect a lump sum early retirement taxed appropriately for your 'young' age from your best employer. The stock market tanks shortly afterward. Then you spend it, go on food stamps and ultimately sell the parents house for income. Your fat, your lower back goes out from time to time , you have high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes and to make it to the grocery store without depending on mass transit you buy an EUC....

This is a seriously dark thread :-(

Well..all of these comments are constructive for me. The Elder was my mother. A $5,000 dental work failed several years after implantation in the 1990's. The logical move to take her back to that dentist bwcame a failure of staff interactions and an old lady's fears. My solution was to take this last remaining elder of mine to my personal dentist. To make a long story short I had a health proxy to make decisions for the Elder. Rather than accepting a $7000 new dental construct solution first proposed by the dentist I opted for a denture for her costing only a few hundred. The tooth extraction was traumatic for the old lady. In the end 'elder protective services' professionals intervened. She was diagnosed as psychotic and put on a mood altering med. Just after being put on the med my mother slipped and fell in the night. Living in the same house I called an ambulance and off she went to a local hospital. She had broken her hip and was operated on later that day. Pain levels post op are huge and rehab'ing an elder for a hip fracture worked best in a nursing home. She spent the rest of her life (except a few afternoon trips back to the house and one Christmas) in a nursing home despite expressing initially a wish to return to 'her house'. Incontinence was always a problem taking her off site for a visit home so the time spent in her house was measured in hours.

Nursing home expenses cost a fortune. The Catholic nursing home (I'm not but they are ) was a best choice type of decision. When your parents assets are gone it still is a billable expense covered by state subsidized funding following an application process.

After her declining health prompted me to have an ambulance take her from the nursing home to a hospital her financial circumstances dictated she be in the 'hospice unit' where she passed. My sister from Texas made the trip and hospice arrangements. It all goes by fax.

My sister was living in Texas at the time. After retiring she and her husband and third kid bought a house in Maine. I remember the challenges my parents felt when there young daughter married in the 1960s. Maybe four years ago my sisters husband developed a cancerous tumor in his groin. Surgery was at a hospital in Boston. Radiation, a bit of chemo and other surgeries to stop lung metastases followed. Profound fatigue set in and some two years after the tumour's detection he passed away in their house in Maine with family by his side.

A recent holiday visit shows all is well again in Maine.

Meanwhile I have nothing better to do than ride about on my EUC, weather permitting.

Yes, life is hard.

Although with the greatest respect, if you're living in the USA in the 21st century, and you have possessions to your name, an education, food, and internet access, then your life is in the top 0.000000000000000000001% of all human beings who have ever lived on this planet.

And certainly in the top 1-5% of all human beings who are CURRENTLY alive. Given huge parts of the world which live in abject poverty, have never had education, are most likely never to see their 30s (or younger) and in some instances live under dictatorships/militia/etc and have the joy of gang-rape, robbery and murder to deal with. So yeah.....everything in perspective.

If a time-traveller was looking for the most just, most fair, most pleasant, and most exciting (scientifically speaking) time in history to live in, they'd still choose now..........and they'd most probably choose the US.

Personally speaking, the one thing I'll always be upset about with life is that I was born in THIS time. I think this is (relative to what's coming) quite a dull time to be alive. We've mastered the sciences of Earth and explored its corners, and we're on the verge of the biggest leap in our species as we properly venture out into space and what might be waiting for us there......sadly I think this will really kick off just after my generation dies. Not to mention the medical advances in the next 100-200 years or so that might make aging/illness obsolete. Assuming Trump hasn't destroyed everything. Oh well.

Anyway, Cheer up everyone!

32 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

then your life is in the top 0.000000000000000000001% of all human beings who have ever lived on this planet.

According to this numbers Bob must have the by far best life of all humans ever lived. The number you give is 10^-23. You vastly overestimate the number of people ever lived, it is only about 10^11, and about 7% of these are still alive.^1 Or maybe it was just the keyboard hanging. 

^1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population#Number_of_humans_who_have_ever_lived

7 minutes ago, Mono said:

According to this numbers Bob must have the by far best life of all humans ever lived. The number you give is 10^-23. You vastly overestimate the number of people ever lived, it is only about 10^11, and about 7% of these are still alive.^1 Or maybe it was just the keyboard hanging. 

^1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population#Number_of_humans_who_have_ever_lived

Well, it was really hyperbole.......but I think the point was communicated effectively. I didn't have time for the maths ?

9 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Actually, the best life I ever attempted was in Philadelphia 1978 as a student in the lab of someone who is now in your part of the world. She used to talk about becoming a veterinarian and started reading books related to vet studies in addition to looking after wayward students like me who basically called it quits after awhile.

http://www.vet.cam.ac.uk/directory/ja331@cam.ac.uk

8 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Well, it was really hyperbole.......but I think the point was communicated effectively. I didn't have time for the maths ?

3 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

You've kinda missed the point there, Bob. Completely.

But ok.....we'll move on! Have a good one, and stay happy ?

Well..actually I see YOUR numbers very clearly. There are less fortunate people all over the world. The Syrian refugee crisis and it's proximity to your homeland being another example. 

Why not ride out(by some means) to the Queen's Veterinary clinic and have a look. It's a dream attained by someone I knew very well. 

If the vet school scene isn't your cup of tea try this chap who worked in the same room as I in Boston before making a big genetics discovery.

http://40watts.com

Archived