Msuper V3s 84v 1600wh - Quirks

Cloud

I love the wheel, such a nice upgrade from V2 both inside and out, but the wheel is not without quirks. Im gonna list a few here.

1. The wheel doesnt shut off when falling on the side. The wheel keeps spinning which is dangerous. I remember trying to do a trick on it, didnt work and i jumped off the wheel at basically almost zero speed. The wheel fell on the side but continued turning, jumping around and about and just wouldnt stop. Something massive like this can do a lot of damage to others if doesnt shut down. I suggest other owners checks theirs to see if all of them like that or just mine

2. Yesterday i turned it on and stepped on it and applied some lean. The wheel felt weak and slightly gave out under me. This was within first 2 seconds of turning it on. Perhaps its the same thing as KS16 was reported to be doing within a few seconds of turning it on. Subsequent attempts to recreate this didnt work. In any case i suggest waiting 3 seconds after turning the wheel on before getting on it.

3. Never fully tested the alarm speeds but been riding with the 1st one off and under 35kmh with no alarms untill the battery gets below 30%. Yesterday i noticed that on a full battery an alarm seems to be kicking in too soon, the speed was 32kmh. Didnt have any safety gear so didnt want to fully test alarms, especially with my recent knee injury, so all i did was turn the 1st alarm back on again and noticed that this didnt change anything and the 1st alarm would still come on at around 32kmh. Back and forth with the 1st alarm on and off and nothing was changing. What are other people's experiences with the alarm speeds?

Number 1 seems like a fault with the wheel. Maybe it was just a quirk in this particular instance. Otherwise it should have behave this way all the time - does the wheel start spinning if you gently lay the wheel on it's side? If so, that's a problem for sure.

Number 2 has been discussed a lot in the forum regards the ACM and MSuper (maybe other Gotway's too?). The general consensus was not to immediately jump on the wheel after turning it on. Turn it on, move the wheel back an forth a few times while holding it, and then start riding.

Number 3: I ride mine with the 1st and 2nd alarms turned off and tiltback disabled. So I only hear the 3rd alarm when pushing the wheel beyond 80% of it's capacity at any given battery level. For me I rarely hit the 3rd alarm.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Number 1 seems like a fault with the wheel. Maybe it was just a quirk in this particular instance. Otherwise it should have behave this way all the time - does the wheel start spinning if you gently lay the wheel on it's side? If so, that's a problem for sure.

Number 2 has been discussed a lot in the forum regards the ACM and MSuper (maybe other Gotway's too?). The general consensus was not to immediately jump on the wheel after turning it on. Turn it on, move the wheel back an forth a few times while holding it, and then start riding.

Number 3: I ride mine with the 1st and 2nd alarms turned off and tiltback disabled. So I only hear the 3rd alarm when pushing the wheel beyond 80% of it's capacity at any given battery level. For me I rarely hit the 3rd alarm.

For number 1. It definitely should shut off, but it doesnt. Yes it behaves like this all the time. If the wheel is on the side and i turn it on , it doesnt rotate but if the wheel is upright and i turn it on and then gently put it on the side it still rotates. I am wondering if this is an oversight in all of the wheels or just mine

Definitely not good, and a safety concern for sure. Have you tried recalibrating the wheel? That procedure calibrates both the front-to-back and the side-to-side levels. 

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Definitely not good, and a safety concern for sure. Have you tried recalibrating the wheel? That procedure calibrates both the front-to-back and the side-to-side levels. 

I havent tried it. In other respects the wheel's balance is fine, it seems to know its positions perfectly. For example it wouldnt start spinning if turned on in an angked enough position. Ebverything else seems to be spot on. I can try recalibrating but dont think this will help. In all honesty, i thought that all of these behave this way, but if you are saying yours doesnt, then i will need to look into it.

8 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I havent tried it. In other respects the wheel's balance is fine, it seems to know its positions perfectly. For example it wouldnt start spinning if turned on in an angked enough position. Ebverything else seems to be spot on. I can try recalibrating but dont think this will help. In all honesty, i thought that all of these behave this way, but if you are saying yours doesnt, then i will need to look into it.

I just tested both my ACM and MSuper V3. They both behave identically. I turn the wheel on and then slowly lay the wheel on it's side. During the transition the wheel starts to slowly spin (for ~1/2 second) and then stops. The wheel starts beeping until I rotate it upright and then it self-balances as expected.

I should recalibrate (takes 30 seconds) and see if that fixes it. If not your wheel has a problem and I think it's potentially dangerous if you have a fall and the wheel doesn't turn off. If someone else who has the 84v version has your same problem then that would imply a design/manufacturing issue with the 84v version.

for number 2:

i call that the "first lean in" fault! i reported it on my v3 67volt on my review, yeah, and while KS since firmware 1.21 got rid of it..it seams still to exist on GW....specially in the first 2-5 seconds after powering on!

for your safety...just push the wheel always hefty by hand before jumping on!

10 hours ago, Cloud said:

ever fully tested the alarm speeds but been riding with the 1st one off and under 35kmh with no alarms untill the battery gets below 30%. Yesterday i noticed that on a full battery an alarm seems to be kicking in too soon, the speed was 32kmh. Didnt have any safety gear so didnt want to fully test alarms, especially with my recent knee injury, so all i did was turn the 1st alarm back on again and noticed that this didnt change anything and the 1st alarm would still come on at around 32kmh. Back and forth with the 1st alarm on and off and nothing was changing. What are other people's experiences with the alarm speeds?

My first alarm would come in at exactly 30 kmh and the 2nd alarm at 33.5 kmh. I had trouble turning off the alarms on mine. I asked a friend with an android device to turn both off them off. I have never heard the final alarm and have taken the wheel up to 45 kmh (albeit going downhill).

2 hours ago, logos122 said:

My first alarm would come in at exactly 30 kmh and the 2nd alarm at 33.5 kmh. I had trouble turning off the alarms on mine. I asked a friend with an android device to turn both off them off. I have never heard the final alarm and have taken the wheel up to 45 kmh (albeit going downhill).

I will test it again. Maybe , since these alarms are so close together, perhaps my readings werent precise. We'll see

does your wheel shut off or continues to rotate when gently placed on the side at a low rpm?

13 hours ago, Dancer said:

For number 1.

My ACM v1 has the same problem.

Wow, sounds like i am not alone in this club. The more the merrier. I will be testing a friend's v3s today to check for this issue.

Ok so ive checked my friend's v3s and it behaves identically. But i heed to clarify : the wheel shuts off if p,aced completely horintally on the side, but if it is placed at any kind of angle , even very small to the horizontal plan, the motor does not shut off. Is this how everyone else's wheel behaves?

yhis is still dangerous because the wheel needs to be completely horizontal for a second or so before motor shut off. In real life this wont happen and the wheel will continue jumping around until fully horizontal and can do a lot of damage in the process

48 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Ok so ive checked my friend's v3s and it behaves identically. But i heed to clarify : the wheel shuts off if p,aced completely horintally on the side, but if it is placed at any kind of angle , even very small to the horizontal plan, the motor does not shut off. Is this how everyone else's wheel behaves?

yhis is still dangerous because the wheel needs to be completely horizontal for a second or so before motor shut off. In real life this wont happen and the wheel will continue jumping around until fully horizontal and can do a lot of damage in the process

It's a very careful line manufacturers need to walk when choosing the cut off angle. You certainly don't want it cutting off with moderate or even quite extreme leaning, otherwise those tight turns would be impossible, but you want it to cut off way before horizontal because the wheel only ends up horizontal after it has finished bouncing around and dashing itself to pieces on any nearby rocks. 

My MS3 (67 volt), which I have just tested cuts out after 1 second at anything more than 80 degrees off center, and then won't reactivate until upright again.

Is there a firmware update for the wheel?  I remember seeing that only @EUC Extreme's earlier V2 versions don't shut the wheel off unless there's a greater than 60 degree tilt from centre.  Maybe there is a special camber calibration routine?  Does the wheel behave the same on either side?

Did you calibrate in a perfectly level wheel orientation back and forth and side to side?  I was watching this tutorial from way back.  I don't know if it still might apply or not.

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

I don't have time this night, but tomorrow I'll film my MSuper V3 as I take it from vertical to horizontal. But it certainly does not have to be totally horizontal. Mine has fallen over when I'm on the side of a hill and it always stops.

You haven't said whether you've recalibrated yet. If not, please do so (takes a minute or so) to eliminate a possible variable.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Is there a firmware update for the wheel?  I remember seeing that only @EUC Extreme's earlier V2 versions don't shut the wheel off unless there's a greater than 60 degree tilt from centre.  Maybe there is a special camber calibration routine?  Does the wheel behave the same on either side?

Did you calibrate in a perfectly level wheel orientation back and forth and side to side?  I was watching this tutorial from way back.  I don't know if it still might apply or not.

Unfortunately Gotway wheels cannot have their firmware updated in the field. I've never heard if they can even do it in the factory. One could argue that allowing the user to modify the firmware could be a liability considering the possible  consequences of a bad update from user created code (people love to hack things).

Unfortunately, I can not say any of this model.
As you all know, I've been driving test electric-scooter-sop.com.
But, you all know that their website has not been opened.
As a result, I am a little ... You can guess the rest.
So, the test has not been run in recent times at all.
For this reason, I have started to develop other EUC patterns ..

I am currently free to do testing for anyone to willing.
And is likely to stay independent tester.
Thus, I am able to work more freely.

10 hours ago, Cerbera said:

It's a very careful line manufacturers need to walk when choosing the cut off angle. You certainly don't want it cutting off with moderate or even quite extreme leaning, otherwise those tight turns would be impossible, but you want it to cut off way before horizontal because the wheel only ends up horizontal after it has finished bouncing around and dashing itself to pieces on any nearby rocks. 

My MS3 (67 volt), which I have just tested cuts out after 1 second at anything more than 80 degrees off center, and then won't reactivate until upright again.

I tired it again, Yes 80degrees seem correct. I believe they should change the angle to be more like 60 degrees off center and maybe the motor should shut off sooner. Its impossible to ride at 60 degrees so it seems to be a safe number. Ive seen my wheel bounce around for a while after i jumped off it, and its direction of travel was unpredictable. This much mass with a mind of its own is a serious hazard on a crowded sidewalk. It can even bounce off to the street under an oncoming car.

ive recalibrated, even though i am not sure i did it correctly. I will find out how to make sure its recalibrated. But i dont think it matters as my friends wheel behaves the same, and both right and left side act the same.

13 minutes ago, Cloud said:

This much mass with a mind of its own is a serious hazard on a crowded sidewalk. It can even bounce off to the street under an oncoming car.

Definitely. I dread to think the damage that could do if it was moving uncontrolled at speed when you lost it... I guess that is yet another reason to pad it up to the max, though I appreciate that does nothing to mitigate the brute force weight of it. This is why it is so important to go no faster than just above walking speed in a crowd or a well populated path.

13 minutes ago, Cloud said:

ive recalibrated, even though i am not sure i did it correctly. I will find out how to make sure its recalibrated. But i dont think it matters as my friends wheel behaves the same, and both right and left side act the same.

I think there was a previous thread about calibration in which (as far as I remember) the general consensus was that left-right calibration can't be changed and is ignored during calibration, which only does forward and back.This is in some way helpful as it means you don't have to bugger about getting it horizontally level to do the calibration.

51 minutes ago, Dancer said:

Here is a test from @EU GUY

Absolutely perfect. Thanks for posting the video.

Now I don't have to create my video. And this is exactly how my ACM and MSuper V3 behaves.  If your V3s behaves the same then you're good to go.

It behaves very similar to this shown in the video, perhaps identical. I didnt measure the angle, it seems a bit more than 70, but one thing for sure is that my wheel works as intended.

If would be good if gotway changed the cut off angle and possibly the cut off time to make it safer though

On 12/26/2016 at 0:52 PM, Marty Backe said:

just tested both my ACM and MSuper V3. They both behave identically. I turn the wheel on and then slowly lay the wheel on it's side. During the transition the wheel starts to slowly spin (for ~1/2 second) and then stops. The wheel starts beeping until I rotate it upright and then it self-balances as expected.

Have you tried the same test laying them on their side really fast?  i wonder if they would behave the same.

Just tried it with my Ninebot, it does exactly the same if layed over slowly, the slower laying down, the longer the wheel spins before shutting off and flashing red.  If I lay it down very quickly, it does not spin at all but immediately shuts off and flashes red until I rotate it upright.

Today while getting my things out of the car I extended the trolley handle and turned on the bot, leaned in to the car to get some things and the bot leaned some and tried to go under the car, it didn't jam, but the tire spun pretty fast for 2-3 seconds before I got control of it.  Strong smell of burnt rubber from the concrete.  Whew!,, Was afraid it would burn the board but it seems okay.

Anyone else lose control with the trolley handle, keep it upright and no problem, but let it kind of fall over and lean forward and it takes off?

On 12/27/2016 at 1:07 AM, Cloud said:

I will test it again. Maybe , since these alarms are so close together, perhaps my readings werent precise. We'll see

does your wheel shut off or continues to rotate when gently placed on the side at a low rpm?

I never tested that. I would try it now but I have sold it to get the monster.

Archived