Ninebot One S2 is not charging

TastyWithPasta

Hello everyone! From this Christmas, I am now the proud new owner of a shiny brand new Ninebot One S2 !

Only problem being, it is not actually charging...

The charger light blinks red but becomes immediately green. I tried to turn it on after a few hours of 'charging', and nothing happens. Tried with different power outlets as well.

From what I have seen on the web, this looks like a charger issue. Some people managed to take apart the charger to fix it (fuse issue apparently ?). I'd really like to give it a try, does anyone know how to do such a thing?

(Sorry for the lack of images, for some reason my phone refuses to upload any kind of picture)

@TastyWithPasta sounds like it might be already charged, have you checked the app to see the battery level?  The dealer I bought mine from charged it for me before I picked it up.  If not, take it back to the dealer if you are nearby, you shouldn't have to take the charger apart, it is under warranty.

I don't know what part of France you are located, but apparently there are a lot of EUC's there, check the French forums, or check SpeedyfeetUK.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your answer. I am unable to turn it on, so it is impossible to check any kind of status through the app. This leads me to assume the battery is empty. I've tried keeping this button pressed for tens of seconds.

The dealer is the tricky part, they are on the other side of the country (Christmas present and all that), so I was crossing my fingers for any kind of alternative. 

Edited by TastyWithPasta
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TastyWithPasta said:

This leads me to assume the battery is empty.

A brand new wheel that you have never turned on should better not have empty batteries.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, TastyWithPasta said:

I am unable to turn it on, so it is impossible to check any kind of status through the app. This leads me to assume the battery is empty. I've tried keeping this button pressed for tens of seconds.

Or maybe the battery is missing?  I read that the batteries are easily changeable on those models, take off the battery cover and see if the battery is there and plugged in to the wheel.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 2

That is weird, I am just about out of ideas, except one.  Unplug and replug the batteries at the orange connectors and see if that resets it.  After unplugging, press the power button for a second and then wait awhile before plugging back together.  Don't pull on the wires, hold on to the connectors while pulling, they will be tight and might be hard to unplug.

Oh, one other thing you could check is the wires going to the motherboard, to see if everything is connected and look at the motherboard for burned components, however that might void your warranty.  I hope you don't end up sending it in for warranty, is there a Segway store near you that can take a look at it?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Axel said:

I got a Ninebot One S2 for Christmas and I have exactly the problem. I disconnected the batteries, tried to load it, nothing. So I have to send it back to the shop.

That's really strange that two brand new wheels won't work.  I know they test them at the factory, my ninebot one E+ had a little over 2 miles on it right out of the box.  I wonder if somehow during shipping they passed close to a strong magnetic field or something?  It just doesn't make sense that they would ship defective units.

I think any Segway dealer has to honor the warranty, as long as they were sold by an authorized reseller.

I just remembered that SpeedyfeetUK has some information on his website about frequently asked questions.  Also you could call him at the phone number on the website, he may know what the problem is.

On 12/27/2016 at 4:12 AM, TastyWithPasta said:

After trying almost everything, tech support gave me a working solution. It turns out the ninebot one goes into some sort of "sleep mode" if the battery remains unused for a long period of time. It prevents the machine from charging and turning on

Fantastic news!  Glad to see your ninebot is fixed.:thumbup:   @Axel did you see this?  Check the post above.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, alex87 said:

what is the connector used? xt60 or xt90?

This is quite an old thread - chances are high that the one you asked the question will not read this. To get someones attention you can either quote his post or "mention" him by typeing a @ and then typing/choosing his username. So this member gets an notification.

@alex87:

@TastyWithPasta - you type @ then the first few letters, be patient, a drop down list of names should appear, then you can choose the one which will appear highlighted in blue.  That sends a notification alert to the user you "summoned."  If they are alive or still active, they might appear.  Note that sometimes the @ feature is a little glitchy.  Where is @Cloud?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
On 27/12/2016 at 2:12 AM, TastyWithPasta said:

Hello again everyone!

After trying almost everything, tech support gave me a working solution. It turns out the ninebot one goes into some sort of "sleep mode" if the battery remains unused for a long period of time. It prevents the machine from charging and turning on. 

The tech support was the dealer's (not Segway's), and I feel there may be some extraneous steps in there, but hey, it worked! 

For those out there who suffered from the same issues, here are the steps to get out of this "sleep mode": 

• Make sure the Ninebot One S2 is unplugged.
  • Open both battery slots. Disconnect black and orange connectors on both sides (as said above, do not pull on the wires, ONLY the connectors).
  • Plug-in the charger.
  • Connect the black connectors only. If you see the charging light blinking red and green, it means it's working.
  • After the light turns red, wait a few hours until everything is fully charged.
  • When the light is green, plug the yellow connectors back. The light turns red again. Wait once more until it is fully charged.  On a sidenote, I tried to turn it on right after plugging the yellow connectors. The devices powered on correctly but the app informed me that only one battery was connected. A bit scary, but this notification disappeared once the device was fully charged and the firmware updated.
  • That's it! Once fully charged, make sure to sync with the app, update the firmware and check the battery status. 

I have a Ninebot one S1 with the same problem, won't power up & the charger light just lights green. Does anyone know if the wiring is the same on the  S1 & S2? Also the beginning of this post refers to orange wires but at the end refers to yellow wires, can I assume they are the same?

On 12/30/2017 at 10:54 PM, VicW said:

I have a Ninebot one S1 with the same problem, won't power up & the charger light just lights green. Does anyone know if the wiring is the same on the  S1 & S2? Also the beginning of this post refers to orange wires but at the end refers to yellow wires, can I assume they are the same?

They should be the same.

If I understand the procedure correctly, the main (bigger plugs, yellow or orange) wires are disconnected, the balance leads (smaller wires with the black plugs) are disconnected, the charger is plugged in to the wheel, then the balance plugs are reconnected to slowly charge to a high enough voltage to allow normal charging.

To make sure, you could call NinebotCA tech line.

First, though, check that the power cord that goes in to the wall socket is plugged all the way in to the charger.  That can also give a green light no charge condition.  (done that, it looked plugged in but had backed out just enough to not make contact)

• 3 months later...
On 12/30/2017 at 9:54 PM, VicW said:

Well, I was having this problem, randomly after a crash the unit just wouldn’t charge even though the batteries were still at 10% so they weren’t in sleep mode or whatever. What I did was simply replace the battery on the side of the unit that connects to the circuit board, and then charge like normal. Worked like a charm. BTW this was a one S1

• 2 months later...

Had an observation after a ride today where a partially charged S1 stopped charging.

After a 10-mile ride, the S1 was around 10-15% charged and was placed in the trunk to charged. We drove for about 20 minutes and I noticed the S1 stop charging around 50-60% and my fast charger is showing no current flow. When we got home, I tried the standard charger, and still won't charge. Green LED on the charger is lit and turning on the S1 activates the motor even with the charging cable plugged in.

I thought the battery packs went into "sleep mode" even though it's more than 50% charged, so I started taking the covers off to perform a reset. The covers are not easily removed and due to frustration, I decided to take a break. After about 30 minutes, I decided to try charging again before performing the reset, and the S1 was charging!

The only conclusion I can come up with is that a temperature limit that was reached while in the trunk of a car in hot weather being charged at max current (1.3A according to my fast charger) causing the charging to stop.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...