I just bought an Inmotion V8 with a fast charger from  Jason, and have been having HUGE issues getting it to charge.  I have tried replacing the fuse on the box.  When I plug it in, the box has one red  and one green light on before and after I plug it in.  The wheel acts like it receives the plug and starts doing it's little blue charging light.  Several hours later, there  is not any more charge than it started with (under 25%).  HELP!

3 minutes ago, Gil said:

Do you have also the ordinary charger ? You should test with it, youwould then know if the problem is with your battery or the fast charger.

For whatever reason I only received the one charger from Jason when it was shipped...and actually the first charger had the wrong port on it, so the one I have is now the 2nd one that they sent separately.  So, this is my 2nd issue with this wheel.  The charger has two lights, red and green, The green one never changes to red when plugged in.  

That sounds horrible! Imagining getting your wheel but not able to ride it because it doesn't charge:crying:... Anyways @Jason McNeil has a good reputation for helping out so (in the end) you should be good. 

Do you know anyone close by with a regular charger? Like Gil said it would help narrowing down the problem to the wheel or the charger...

Also be sure 'tab' in the charging receptacle in the V8 lines up with the tab on the charging cord.  My V8 has the original 3 pin charging receptacle and the 'tab' in it is offset so I have to turn the the charging cord to an offset position. 

Did your V8 come with the new 4 pin configuration or the original 3 pin configuration?

Allen

47 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Tim Koffler are you plugging in the charger to the wall first, then connecting the V8

Exactly, kudos to @rdalcanto for bringing to my attention that the instructions accompanying the Charger are completely wrong, wall first then the Wheel.

Here's a bit of background to the V8 Charger troubles:

• Inmotion switched the Charger connector at the last moment on the production V8s to a 3-pin GX12. They said this was owing to the Chinese consumer device regulator being unfamiliar with their proprietary USB type connector (which was actually superior to the alternatives) & decided it was easier to tow the line than try to educate the bureaucrats on the merits of the USB format..
  • I made the suggestion that they use another type of connector, because the 3-pin GX12 was the defacto 'Hoverboard' type, posing a risk to owners both a Hoverboard & an Electric Unicycle of plugging in the wrong device with wrong charger! 
  • They took this advice & changed to a 4-pin GX12 with this latest batch of V8s, however the majority of standard chargers that were shipped with the Wheels were the 3-pin GX12 types.
  • Fast-charger order was placed nearly two months ago, but because of difficulties the supplier had with sourcing parts & the lead up to Christmas, the chargers had to be flown in separately from the Wheels, only arriving the day the Wheels went out. 
  • In mad rush to get everything out for Christmas, the Fulfillment company made some mistakes sending the wrong type of chargers with some of the orders.

I'm also pleased to announced that eWheels.com will supplying @hobby16's handy Charge Doctor accessory, we're expecting these sometime in January. 

15 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Exactly, kudos to @rdalcanto..........

I'm also pleased to announced that eWheels.com will supplying @hobby16's handy Charge Doctor accessory, we're expecting these sometime in January. 

I'm looking forward the being able to get the Charge Doctor from you Jason for my V8. 

Do you plan to offer the 3 pin one ?

Allen

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

I'm very interested in purchasing a Charge Doctor (4-pin GX12) once you get these in @Jason McNeil as I tried to insert my own without success.  Having one that works out of the box would be very useful!  Do you have an estimated price? ... with the strong $ I'm guessing these would be ~$25.

3 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

Do you have an estimated price? ... with the strong $ I'm guessing these would be ~$25.

Ha, that's quite a bit less than my volume pricing ;), should be comparable to what you can buy from Europe with faster shipping options & a one-stop shop. The idea with stocking these is to offer more options to Customers. 

On 24/12/2016 at 4:07 PM, Jason McNeil said:

They took this advice & changed to a 4-pin GX12 with this latest batch of V8s, however the majority of standard chargers that were shipped with the Wheels were the 3-pin GX12 types.

Isn't this the 4-pin GX12 the IPS Ninebot Mini plug, which means that now people having an IPS a Ninebot Mini and an Inmotion EUC can make the very mistake which was to be prevented with the hoverboard? Isn't this even worse?

EDIT: I got this wrong, the IPS uses GX16-4, it is the Ninebot Mini using the GX12-4 plug, see e.g. 

http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/11/07/charge-doctor-v2-firmware-v-2-03-2/
http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/11/08/charge-doctor-mixte-for-ninebot

2 minutes ago, Mono said:

Isn't this the 4-pin GX12 the IPS plug, which means that now people having an IPS and an Inmotion EUC can make the very mistake which was to be prevented with the hoverboard? Isn't this even worse?

No, the IPS uses a 4-pin GX16 & probabilistically it's much less common, according to one source 2 million 'Hoverboards' sold last year in the US.

10 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Ha, that's quite a bit less than my volume pricing ;), should be comparable to what you can buy from Europe with faster shipping options & a one-stop shop. The idea with stocking these is to offer more options to Customers. 

Got it!   Have you tested the Charge Doctors with the V8? 

22 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

@hobby16 is an Electronics Genius, he has many V8 Customers using the latest 84V duo CD. 

25 minutes ago, Mono said:

I see, my mistake, it seems to be the Ninebot using the 4-pin GX12, right?

I think you're right, but it's a slightly different form of the GX12.

7 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

according to one source 2 million 'Hoverboards' sold last year in the US.

That's a lot of hoverboards, I wonder how many EUC's were sold here last year.  Probably no way to know with so many buying direct from China.

15 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Hi Chris, I have tested the CD with the v8 (3pin model), see this thread: 

@rdalcanto How long does it take to charge the wheel with the fast charger?

On 25/12/2016 at 3:18 PM, rdalcanto said:

It went from 41% to around 100% in about an hour.

If we talk about the 2.5A charger, we have 59% = 1h * 2.5A * 80V = 200Wh, that means the battery would be fully charged with only 100/59 * 200Wh = 330Wh instead of the announced 480Wh. This means it must take at least 1.5h, if the battery has in fact the announced capacity.

On 25-12-2016 at 4:39 PM, Chris Westland said:

Good to see ... do you have the 2.5A charger or the 1.25A? @Bram

I have a 1.5A charger actually ;) But that charging time is very appealing! And 2.5A is still completely acceptabel for this size batterypack. As for the true battery size of this model I'm getting more and more tempted to just drain my battery completely 1 time and then do a full charge... 

Archived