Out Torqued ACM

Chuts

So last night I out torqued my ACM.  Which is the 12 mosfet version 3.

Went for a night ride up a mountain which had a paved sidewalk and road.  Going up on an incline of maybe about 25-30% and leaning far forward.  ACM gave a fast whirling noise as it was cutting out like if you were riding a bicycle and the chain came off but you were still peddling fast but not actually gaining / maintaining speed or acceleration.  Heard this noise before on my IPS when it cut out due to over torque too.

Managed to run out of the shutdown.  As the wheel was tumbling behind it clipped my calf and took about an inch of skin off.  Would probably have been worse if I faceplanted and it tumbled on top of me.  When switching on my unit it started to shudder and would'nt hold any weight.  My fellow riders had tools and opened up my ACM.  None of the mosfets had blown and no wires had been scorched so it was suggested that something had happen to the gyro during the tumble.  Having to have my seller/engineer look at it.

Turns out that one of the wired connections had loosened during the tumble.  All that was needed was for it to be soldered back on. One of the plastic flex had melted somewhat due to the heat so wrapped that up with electric tape.

While I was there I also got him to install two fans right next to the control board to help cool it. Also swapped out the stock pedals for bigger ones.

Additionally I also heard that after I left the rest of the group carried on up the mountain.  Near the top a wild dog jumped out of the bushes and started to bark wildly right next to one of the riders.  He lost control and fell and hit his head on the road.  Unfortunately he was not wearing any pads or a helmet and they had to call an ambulance to take him to hospital.  He received a rather deep cut on his forehead from the fall, which will probably leave him with a scar.

8 hours ago, Chuts said:

Additionally I also heard that after I left the rest of the group carried on up the mountain.  Near the top a wild dog jumped out of the bushes and started to bark wildly right next to one of the riders.  He lost control and fell and hit his head on the road.  Unfortunately he was not wearing any pads or a helmet and they had to call an ambulance to take him to hospital.  He received a rather deep cut on his forehead from the fall, which will probably leave him with a scar.

OH Man.  I really hope he is OK without more serious injury.    

Like seatbelts, safety/protection equipment is needed for the unexpected events.

Wow, what a story. The one piece of safety gear that I always wear now is my helmet. Usually other gear too, but always the helmet.

20%+ incline is steep for sure. Fortunately when the wheel cuts out at those steep inclines you aren't going fast so the odds of an injury are low. But as you learned, the wheel can be damaged because it can fall and tumble a long ways.

The fans are probably overkill, but I suppose it can't hurt. I've never had mine overheat yet and I've ridden it hard in hot conditions and steep hills.

On 12/23/2016 at 10:03 PM, Chuts said:

Going up on an incline of maybe about 25-30% and leaning far forward. 

Wow, that's extremely steep, were you going to the top of Victoria's Peak?  That's pretty impressive that the ACM could climb so well.:thumbup:  What is the battery rated at?

9 hours ago, steve454 said:

Wow, that's extremely steep, were you going to the top of Victoria's Peak?  That's pretty impressive that the ACM could climb so well.:thumbup:  What is the battery rated at?

Was actually going up Tai Mo Shan, highest mountain in Hong Kong.

So actually, you didn't really out torque you ACM, which was s a good thing.  You had a wiring problem, which is a bad thing.  Good thing that doesn't happen often with Gotways.. No wait, oh never mind.  At least you didn't hurt yourself.

19 hours ago, Smoother said:

So actually, you didn't really out torque you ACM, which was s a good thing.  You had a wiring problem, which is a bad thing.  Good thing that doesn't happen often with Gotways.. No wait, oh never mind.  At least you didn't hurt yourself.

Whatever it was, my up-till-then pristine ACM has suffered some dings on the shell.  Trolly handle surprisingly survived with only a small chunk of rubber missing from the grip handle.

Archived