EUC for short trip with a single big climb

charlesrg

On 2/3/2017 at 7:30 PM, charlesrg said:

I just wanted to close this thread letting you guys know that I've got a InMotion V8. It tackles the climb with no issues. The wheel is great, no wobbling, just plenty of fun.

This is what I would have suggested.

I live on a steep hill that all of the cyclists in the area use for training-I see them humping it by my house every day. I'm 200 pounds and the V8 takes me up and down the hill with no problems all day long.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an issue yesterday while going downhill slowly, it was the first time I went down. I usually walked down and went up on it. It said "I can't. Please give up"  and started folding. Since I was almost at the end I persisted but it folded further and I had to abandon the ship. Today I went down even slower and it didn't complain. I think it was related to the speed.

Will try more times and give feedback on that.

8 minutes ago, charlesrg said:

I had an issue yesterday while going downhill slowly, it was the first time I went down. I usually walked down and went up on it. It said "I can't. Please give up"  and started folding. Since I was almost at the end I persisted but it folded further and I had to abandon the ship. Today I went down even slower and it didn't complain. I think it was related to the speed.

Will try more times and give feedback on that.

Sounds like it was overcharging the battery. They're designed to shut down to save the battery if you are trying to charge it over its capacity when doing regenerative braking (like going downhill on a full battery). I haven't run into that on my V8, but I usually run the battery down a little before going directly down my hill.

Try doing some circles before going downhill on a full charge to see if that helps.

1 hour ago, charlesrg said:

I had an issue yesterday while going downhill slowly, it was the first time I went down. I usually walked down and went up on it. It said "I can't. Please give up"  and started folding. Since I was almost at the end I persisted but it folded further and I had to abandon the ship.

Can you be more precise what you mean by folding? The pedals were tilting? Forwards or backwards? 

1 hour ago, Mono said:

Can you be more precise what you mean by folding? The pedals were tilting? Forwards or backwards? 

Indeed. Wheels don't really 'start to fold'. They fold or they don't... and if they do, you haven't got time to do anything about it...

43 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Wheels don't really 'start to fold'. They fold or they don't..

Depends on how fast you are accelerating.  If slowly accelerating, one time my cheap wheel started to feel floaty, like it was at the limit of power.  It felt like if I leaned forward even a little more it would fold.  It was a scary feeling, after a second or two I leaned slightly back to slow down, and realized I had almost went past the limit of the wheel.

Other people have called it the rodeo feeling, almost like it is going and stopping, going and stopping.  Not fun at all.

44 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Indeed. Wheels don't really 'start to fold'. They fold or they don't... and if they do, you haven't got time to do anything about it...

It all depends on what we mean if we say "fold", and you might mean something different than @charlesrg meant which might again be different to what others mean if they say "fold". That is why I was asking.

There has been a poll on what people mean when they say faceplant: 

1 minute ago, Mono said:

It all depends on what we mean if we say "fold", and you might mean something different than @charlesrg meant which might again be different to what others mean if they say "fold". That is why I was asking.

There has been a poll on what people mean when they say faceplant: 

There should be a poll in what people think fold means.  To me it means gives up.

Just now, steve454 said:

There should be a poll in what people think fold means.  To me it means gives up.

which remains to be a fuzzy definition in the context of EUCing, I think. I guess you mean that it loses forward-backward balance and the driver dismounts as a consequence.

IPS T260  $539.99

look at what it has and you'll see that for the price it beats the competition:

Model
IPS121 T260+ Self  Balancing Scooter
Battery
260Wh Panasonic lithium battery
Max Power Output
1000Watts
Bluetooth & APP
Available
Capacity
120 KG
Tire Size
16 Inch
Max Speed
30 KM/H
Charger
67.2V/2A
Charge Time
120 mins
Charger Voltage
AC120V (50-60Hz)
Max Mileage
30 KM
Max Climbing
30°
Enviroment Temperature
-10°C ~ 50°C
Distance from ground
107 mm
Net Weight
13.5KG
Gross Weight
16.5KG
Unicycle Dimension
620 x 265 x 550 mm
Color
White & Black

I just received a V5f+... Since I rode a unicycle in high school I picked it up in a few minutes. I'm really impressed with the model, as it really zips. I would consider getting it for your commute, it's an impressive little package.

Since I'm not an experienced unicyclist and neither a folder I assumed that folding was the slow action of tilting to the point the rider cannot be on top of it.

So far it only happened twice. One while going uphill I ran out of battery and it slowly tilted to the point I could not ride anymore. almost 45 degrees. Another when I was going downhill it tilted again to the point I could not ride, at this time I remember it saying: "I can't. Please give up."

So far the error was not reproduced and I hope I won't see it again :P

Charging to 90% would be a good idea however I don't have a charger controller for it yet.

On 2/15/2017 at 4:52 PM, TechShizzle said:

Sounds like it was overcharging the battery. They're designed to shut down to save the battery if you are trying to charge it over its capacity when doing regenerative braking (like going downhill on a full battery). I haven't run into that on my V8, but I usually run the battery down a little before going directly down my hill.

Try doing some circles before going downhill on a full charge to see if that helps.

It might be related, I did the downhill today with the charge in about 95% and had no issues.

Archived