Best wheels under 18km/h?

monowheels.be

Hi,

What do you guys think are the best brands/models for electric unicycles with a maximum speed of 18km/h?
I know with most of the brands, you can change the top-speed with an app (like with GotWay) or have it originally locked at 18km/h, but then unlock it with a code (like King Song).
But I'm looking into wheels with an absolute maximum speed of18km/h.

What are the options, and what are the best choices within those options?
I know of the H1 from Hx and most models from AirWheel.

58 minutes ago, monowheels.be said:

Hi,

What do you guys think are the best brands/models for electric unicycles with a maximum speed of 18km/h?
I know with most of the brands, you can change the top-speed with an app (like with GotWay) or have it originally locked at 18km/h, but then unlock it with a code (like King Song).

What are the options, and what are the best choices within those options?
I know of the H1 from Hx and most models from AirWheel.

Itll be tough to find a quality one. Plenty of generic no-name brand examples im sure but you shouldnt go cheap with these machines. And i would include airwheel in that bunch (no offence, x8 owners). They are dangerous even at 18.

Can i ask why you want the limit? 18 seems extremely fast when you first start.....but it wont be long before it feels like a crawl. I guess the Ninebot One C is the only example I can think of.

Ps. not the Ips Lhotz. Thats a 30kph wheel ?

18 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Itll be tough to find a quality one. Plenty of generic no-name brand examples im sure but you shouldnt go cheap with these machines. And i would include airwheel in that bunch (no offence, x8 owners). They are dangerous even at 18.

Can i ask why you want the limit? 18 seems extremely fast when you first start.....but it wont be long before it feels like a crawl. I guess the Ninebot One C is the only example I can think of.

Since October 2016, Belgium has an official law that allows EUC's in Belgium. However, they need to be limited by design at 18km/h.
See http://monowheels.be/wetgeving/ - sorry, I only got it in Dutch, but Google should be able to translate :)

If your EUC can be configured to a higher speed (both by unlock code or app), then it doesn't categorize as 'limited by design at 18km/h', and thus is officially illegal on the public road. It however can still be used on private terrains.

I am the owner of the above metioned shop (http://monowheels.be/) and drive myself a MCM4-HS every day to my day-job. I want to offer to customers a selection of 'road-approved' quality EUC's. At this moment I already sell the H1 Plus (by default upgraded to 174 wH battery). What other models/brands would you advise to look into (and which ones to stay clear from)?

@Chriull I tried that with Gotway. They talked about the changes in Belgium law within their company, but decided to not make an adapted model for Belgium. I'm still talking at this moment with King Song and Ninebot.

As Belgium is one of the first countries (as far as I know) that adapted their law to officially allow EUC's, I guess this 'limited by design at18km/h' will be taken over by other countries if they adapt their law for EUC's, and then hopefully manufacturers will have to adapt.

Do you know of any brands/models with good quality, but limited to 18km/h?

2 hours ago, monowheels.be said:

@houseofjob Thanks a lot! The Ninebot can be unlocked however if I'm correct, so might not be an option. 

I am referencing the Ninebot One C, not any of the other models (C+, E, E+, P, A1, A1+, S2, S1) specifically because max/unlocked speed is 16km/h, under your specification.

The only problem is, I'm not sure Ninebot/Segway still manufactures this old model anymore.

2 hours ago, monowheels.be said:

@houseofjob Thanks a lot! The Ninebot can be unlocked however if I'm correct, so might not be an option. 

I don't wish to be overwhelmingly negative, and I certainly don't have any business-running credentials, but how viable a business-model do you think this will be in the long run? Can you still make a profit if your business-model is selling only low-powered wheels in a market that (seemingly) is only going to become faster and faster in terms of wheel peformance.

Most people who will purchase a wheel will buy one based on price, look & performance. They won't buy a specifically limited wheel because they know (correctly) as a customer that the chances of being stopped by a policeman who has the knowledge to perform and on-the-spot check to see how fast it is is tiny.

45 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Can you still make a profit if your business-model is selling only low-powered wheels in a market that (seemingly) is only going to become faster and faster in terms of wheel peformance.

To my understanding @monowheels.be does not want to only sell low-speed models, but also provide a choice for customers who want to go strictly by the law.  

8 hours ago, monowheels.be said:

If a wheel is designed to be ridden at maximum 18 km/h it must be able to achieve speeds higher than that. Otherwise it cannot stabilize you in the forward direction.

8 hours ago, monowheels.be said:

Maybe you should look for a snail when wanting to ride that slow - or just go by foot... :P

38 minutes ago, One said:

Maybe you should look for a snail when wanting to ride that slow - or just go by foot... :P

18km/h is three times of the maximum speed of a walking pedestrian.

How is this exactly be enforced, regular law enforcement would need an up-to-date list of qualified EUC and be able to tell them apart. I think that if you ride responsibly, then you won't be bothered. On the other hand, someone who's reckless may be stopped and asked.

1 hour ago, Adel said:

How is this exactly be enforced, regular law enforcement would need an up-to-date list of qualified EUC and be able to tell them apart. I think that if you ride responsibly, then you won't be bothered. On the other hand, someone who's reckless may be stopped and asked.

I dont think any policeman wil stop you. But, in case you are part of a incident were people end up with serious injuries there will be a big problem with responsibilty and who is going to pay.

15 hours ago, monowheels.be said:

@Chriull I tried that with Gotway. They talked about the changes in Belgium law within their company, but decided to not make an adapted model for Belgium. I'm still talking at this moment with King Song and Ninebot.

To be honest, I also would not do that as a manufacturer, for several reasons.

I also think that this ...

16 hours ago, monowheels.be said:

Since October 2016, Belgium has an official law that allows EUC's in Belgium. However, they need to be limited by design at 18km/h.

... is a rather incompetent law, and hope that this will never come in other countries.

If they make it here, I will protest, and either drive illegally, or sell my EUC. Actually I already replaced my Minipro with an EUC, just because the MiniPro has a limit of 18 km/h.

I want to drive at bicycle speeds with my EUC (up to 40 km/h), and not at speeds where I would prefer to run instead.

A senseful law I could imagine:

.) allow EUCs up to 20 km/h anywhere, without restrictions,

.) allow EUC's up to 40 km/h anywhere where it is allowed to ride bicycles (so also on bike trails or streets), but with a license plate and a drivers license.

Hi all,

Interesting topic.

18 hours ago, Chriull said:

@monowheels.beMaybe you could get in contact with one of the manufacturers of the actual wheels and ask them If they want to make special belgium firmware, so they are limited by design to 18 km/h - no way to unlock or configure!

47 minutes ago, cloudust said:

(If) once EU PLEV directive is in place at end of 2018, the max. speed will be 25km/h. Don't know the use of limiting the speed at 18km/h now. The law maker has no idea of how the device works I guess.

On electric scooters, there is a factory set parameter according to the region. That limits the speed in compliance with regulations.

Max selectable tiltback speed could be set in a similar maneer.

Thanks all for the feedback! Much appreciated.

Concerning the European law which might allow EUC's limited at 25km/h in 2018 -> Even if that law is in place, countries can set stronger limitations. So even at that moment, Belgium (and maybe other countries) will still have the limitation of 18km/h.

Is it a viable a business? I believe (and hope :) ) so. Today true, most EUC-drivers are mainly interested in them for their speed and fun. But as more and more people will start considering them as a commuter solution, speed will be less the primary reason to drive one.

Today indeed policeman didn't stop me yet, although even some of them came driving next to me to check out my wheel and asked me questions about them :) But exactly as @Ponne says, especially if you ever cause (or are part of) an accident, then you'll definitely be screwed. And as EUC's become more popular, the knowledge about it will increase at law enforcement instances. Happened already in the Netherlands, where police stopped drivers and took their wheel.

To end with some good news: King Song is willing to work with me to limit the speed without the possibility to unlock! I also contacted all the manufacturers of the EUC's suggested earlier. Thanks for that. If there are more quality-EUC ideas, do let us know!

57 minutes ago, monowheels.be said:

To end with some good news: King Song is willing to work with me to limit the speed without the possibility to unlock!

How senseful is that in a global salesworld ?

Any Belgian could buy a wheel in another country, with no limits set.

Who will how check and enforce this limit ?   This law is pure eyewash.

Archived