From the box to riding in under 20 minutes :)

rdalcanto

On 19/12/2016 at 8:16 PM, Mono said:

Maybe [extremely small shifts of weight from leg to leg] is a different way to initiate micro rotations which are effective in balancing the wheel. 

Did some experimentation which indeed confirms this idea: small weight shifts from leg to leg appear to be a convenient way to introduce small left-right twists/swivels of the wheel. Twisting is the only efficient means to keep left-right balance. (It is also the physical explanation of how turns happen, yet consciously twisting doesn't work well at all to drive turns).

On the other hand, tilting the wheel helps to drive turns, because it changes the natural path of the wheel from straight to bent and consequently minimises the forces that need to be applied to stay balanced on this bent path. The reasons how the path changes are at least two-fold: (i) the contact point of the tire with the ground is in fact an area and the inner part of this area where the wheel is tilted to has a smaller tire circumference. (ii) gyroscopic precession makes the spinning wheel rotate around the vertical axis in direction of the tilt.

Edited by Mono

On 18.12.2016 at 3:33 AM, rdalcanto said:

My 17 year old son did even better.  We are both snow skiers, ice skaters, water skiers, and ride and jump (including backflips) a sky ski.

Wow, you charged the EUC in 20 minutes? That's awesome! 

But why do you wear a helmet in house? And why do you hold the camera vertical instead of horizontal? :P

My 17 year old son did even better.  We are both snow skiers, ice skaters, water skiers, and ride and jump (including backflips) a sky ski.

But why do you wear a helmet in house? And why do you hold the camera vertical instead of horizontal? :P

• Upvote 1

We have been at this for a week now.  We played follow the leader around the cones for a while.  Then we decided to play catch while riding.  Too much snow to ride outside, so we are finding other ways to practice and entertain ourselves....  :w00t2:

I like my quick slalom move at the 26 second mark.  :ph34r:

Edited by rdalcanto
  • Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

You turn by looking where you want to go. The weight shift of your body does the rest (first method in the video). Alternatively, shift weight between your feet (second method shown there).

What works better depends on the wheel (and what you prefer).

The quick twisting (like a bicycle's front tire) is mostly for stability at low speed.

As far as free-mounting goes: that simply needs practice. A bit like shown in this video. Just be aware you need to tuck your knee in so the wheel doesn't fall over until you have the second foot on the pedals.

Starting from a wall is a perfect first step (because it's easiest). The rest just needs practice. And don't stress out by rote repetiton, you can just ride and everything you need comes naturally. EUCing is very intuitive. But of course some specific excercises help.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

Nice to see a December 2016 topic resurrected. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, GMan said:

Do you turn by leaning or twisting? How do you start from a standstill. I’m getting good at going straight once I start from a wall.

@meepmeepmayer provided some excellent info and videos. Initially you’ll need to gain some speed to turn adequately.

As you gain confidence you’ll rapidly diminish the ‘flailing arm and leg’ movements resulting in smaller and smaller corrective balancing actions. Eventually you’ll be making involuntary ‘on- the-fly’ somatosensory inputs wIth your feet with very little- if any -concentration. Then the true enjoyment begins!

If your worried about dropping the wheel while practicing then protect it with ample padding. Don’t worry about how it looks. The uglier the better. ;)