Newb looking for help with EUC purchase.

William S Pender

Hey guys. Love the forum. Just found out abouth these EUCs by accident on youtube and I got hooked. I'm looking to buy a Ninebot, but I'm confused by all the different models (Segway One S1, C+, E+). I'm looking to pay no more than 800.00. I couldnt find a comparison chart that shows the difference. I'm looking to buy new or used if I can find a good deal. Please help guys. Thanks.

If you want a Ninebot, I'd recommend getting a Ninebot One E+ as I believe it's a little faster than the C+. The Segway One S1 is the newer model, but I think it may only have a 14" diameter wheel if that's a concern for you.  I think there's also a Ninebot One S2 to add to the confusion along with a China model Ninebot One A1 which is meant mainly for Asia.  :wacko:  The new models have modular plastic shelled batteries like laptops so technically they might be allowed on aircraft as I think their individual packs are under 140 WH or something like that?  I think I read that the S1 has two of these packs.  Most airlines forbid them anyways so don't count on flying with them.

The InMotion V5F+ is supposed to be a step up according to several people so you might want to put that on your short list, but I don't know if you can get one under $800 USD.  You can get the V5F with smaller battery and shorter range for $750:

https://www.ewheels.com/product/inmotion-v5f/

Although it's a 14" wheel that doesn't seem to be a big problem?  The V8 is also something to consider as it's in the 16" category, but I think it's in the $999 range.  Gotway ACM16 is also a good choice according to many users, but your budget might not allow that.

Edited (now that I'm not being rushed out the door to  go shopping before the rain sets in)

Welcome William.  Firstly, there is no location information in your profile, so could you tell us wher you live and if this is where you will be riding? This will allow us to evaluate your needs with your local EUC laws , if any.

Secondly it will allow us to know which currency you use.

Again, Welcome.?

I was considering a ninebot 1+ 2nd gen. But decided against it because of the low speed, 500w motor, small battery, and handle that breaks off easily, and is a pain to repair, and a bit pricey.  I have no knowledge of the models you are looking at.  

I don't know what prices your are being quoted, but I believe one should get the biggest battery and most powerful motor you are prepared to pay for. Notice I didn't necessarily say speed, but having bumped up against my 27kph max, I wouldn't mind some more, now that I don't death  wobble anymore.

it doesn't matter what size your wheel is if it won't climb due to a weaker motor, or low battery reserves.  I have a 14" and I have taken it on mountain trails clambering over rocks as big as a small fist, for over a mile, and deep loose gravel that had It scrabbling for grip as it climbed or descended. It was actually a lot of fun.  I did get tumped off a few times but these rocks were huge I tell ya! , and someone with more skill might have stayed on where I didn't. Besides it was stepping off speeds so no face plants need apply.

I eventually spent  around 800 also, euros, not $. And got an 800w motor with a 340wh battery.  I'd love a bigger battery but just buying a wheel was a big gamble, as I wasn't sure I would like it.  I'm very pleased with 800 watts in a 14" wheel.  thing climbs anything I point it at.  But I would like more wh, as 340 leaves little in reserve when the static level is below 50%. By this I mean, a sudden high demand for current like a hill, or rapid acceleration, can leave my battery pack wheezing for breath and throwing me down the road, where 50% of 680 or more, would probably not have had a problem.

having said that my 340wh allows me to cruise around for hours on the flat, and nearly flat.

im no expert, but I believe ninebot has fallen behind the market.  See what else you can get for your $800.

oh yeah,. GO COWBOYS!!!

That's an open ended question.  I don't know the e+ specs. Personally I would consider 500w the absolute minimum power these days. And even then, I sent more to get 800w. How big are the hills in Fort Worth? Anything will work on the flat, it's hills that separate the men from the toys. If your hills are small, go 500w and the biggest battery in your price bracket.  Bigger hills bigger motor.

5 hours ago, William S Pender said:

215 lbs

I'm sure the Ninebot could work for you, I weigh about 200 dressed out, I got mine from Texas Segway in Hurst, but it was $950, with tax about $1028.  You could look for a sale, check Amazon.  

Also check Craigslist, sometimes one will pop up, I bought an Osdrich from a guy on there but he claimed it was the top of the line batterywise but I later found out it was bottom of the line, so weak but a decent learner wheel.  For $300 it was worth taking a shot.  Put about 30 miles on it before getting the Ninebot.

The Ninebot is pretty good quality, I have 290 miles on it, and it gives me no problems except an annoying wobble now and then,(like today I only rode two miles because it was so cold) the wobble set in at about 10mph every time I got to that speed.

Keep researching, I am pretty sure there are other brands out there with decent battery sizes that are a little less expensive than Ninebot,  just try to get at least over 300wh to have enough power for your weight.  In general it is the batteries that are the most expensive component of a good wheel.

Also be prepared to take a lot of short learning sessions before you will be able to ride wherever you want, it took me a long time before trusting the wheel to not cut out and also to be able to handle small obstacles like small tree roots and ramps.  But if you watch some learning videos like @Duf has made, and the solowheel videos on Youtube, you will probably learn faster than me.

Hey guys... I'm a newbie too. Just took delivery of my very first EUC, a Ninebot One C+.  I couldn't ignore the great price from New Egg.  Seems the Ninebot One is a good intro EUC.. We'll see.. I'v tried it only a couple of times so far indoors, just creeping down a hallway.

Another perspective:  lots of people start with a cheap EUC just to see if they can learn to ride, and whether they like it.  If you're going that route, see if you can pick up a good lightly-used wheel in the month or so following Christmas.  You'll probably find a few Ninebots, Segways, and Airwheels listed on eBay, Craiglist, etc., by people who gave up on learning to ride.

Since you're 215 pounds you're on the high end of capacity for some wheels, but I wouldn't worry about specs at this point as long as it isn't a generic knock-off with exploding batteries. Just don't try anything like climbing 15 degree hills or "idling" or pushing past the tilt-back speed. Your goal should be just see if this sport is for you.

I was lucky when I started, an Airwheel X3 popped up on CL for $100.  The guy who sold it to me said his wife bought it for him as a gift but he couldn't learn to ride. It had a few scuffs on it as evidence and the training wheels were still attached.  I unscrewed those as soon as I got home and was riding around the house in less than an hour.  A few days later I knew I liked it, and started researching my ideal wheel.  I'll keep the Airwheel as a beater, so friends can borrow it.

You may never find one as cheap as $100, but the point is that it might make more sense to try any wheel you can get first.  You might not like it after a while.  It might turn out to be "just a toy" for you. In that case at least you didn't drop $1,000. (But if you did, lots of guys on this forum will be glad to pick up your lightly-scuffed wheel for 50% off!)

If you do like it, then you can figure out whether you want more speed, more off-road ability, more hill-climbing ability, longer range, something better for tricks, fast charging capability, etc.  (I realized I'm not interested in tricks and I want more speed for the long distance trails that are common in my area, for example.)

A few weeks of experience, even with a crappy slow scuffed-up beginner wheel, will help guide you. Then you can sweat specs like wheel diameter, pedal height, battery capacity, motor wattage, budget, and bling ... and pick the right one for you.

4 hours ago, Ombre said:

If you do like it, then you can figure out whether you want more speed, more off-road ability, more hill-climbing ability, longer range, something better for tricks, fast charging capability, etc.  (I realized I'm not interested in tricks and I want more speed for the long distance trails that are common in my area, for example.)

A good post.

More speed? Check

more off road ability? Check

more hill climbing ability? Check

longer range? Check

tricks? Not everyone's cup of tea,

fast charging? Incompatible with all the above, except tricks

lets face it once you're hooked ( and you will be ?) you're gonna want something like a Gottway  super m3 or what ever it's called. But let's get you started first.  After all, Nobody ever sticks with their first car, but a first car had to happen for there to be a second, etc.

Lol, I did the same thing once I discovered EUCs online - watched lots of videos.  Heck I still watch the videos.  But when I saw the Ninebot One C+ for $399.99 at New Egg it forced me to order.  Now I got the thing and can't ride it... Fun times.  Oh the cold short daylight hrs of winter.

The Ninebot one E+ is a good wheel, I started on it. However after you get good at riding, you will start to notice that the battery range isn't very great, maybe about 10-12 miles. Actually all the Ninebot range have this relatively small range. Maybe consider buying a cheap used EUC to learn on and then you won't worry about wrecking it.

If you get hooked, then invest more money and get an EUC with large battery (and more power) such as those offered by KingSong or Gotway.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't offer a lot of help on this yet as I am also very new to this stuff.  Much like yourself I watched some Youtube and was hooked.  I bought a used Ninebot E+ (in shipping) and a new Monster 2400 (on order).  My main use will be off road with long distances (if I survive the learning curve) which is why I went with the Monster.  I do tend to go for the top of the line stuff though.  The E+ is a sacrifical unit for learning.  Lots of good advice on these forums! 

Good luck on your learning curve.

On 19 December 2016 at 11:38 PM, Wagtenor said:

Lol, I did the same thing once I discovered EUCs online - watched lots of videos.  Heck I still watch the videos.  But when I saw the Ninebot One C+ for $399.99 at New Egg it forced me to order.  Now I got the thing and can't ride it... Fun times.  Oh the cold short daylight hrs of winter.

I don't know where exactly in Maryland you are, but if you can get to a large town and look around, there are plenty of places to learn, out of the snow.  Think multi storey car parks, small indoor malls,   Under covers sidewalks, anything protected from direct snow fall.  .  Avoid the crowded parts.  Look for the furthest areas where no one goes unless the place is full. You could even learn IN the snow.  There's a video just posted here of a guy riding quite well in the snow on a ninebot. Looks like the snow gave him good grip, mostly.  Maybe that's not a good idea, but if you did, you'd be the first guy to learn in the snow.  We'd have to change your handle to Snowman.

I don't live too far out and messaged you on the off chance you are in the area. I have quite a few wheels around the house but am an IPS fanboy to be honest. I really hope their new wheels are all that I expect them to be. (Also, I only love IPS because it is the only brand I don't ever fear a random cutout. One time is enough to make you reconsider an entire brand)

Archived