Inmotion v8 first 50km review

Bram

20 hours ago, HEC said:

I'm using this DC / DC converter with my 12V portable panel but the gain is really negligible unless you charge for several hours.

Sorry @HEC I didn't see your post.  I think we were typing at the same time, as I swear there were no replies when I hit "reply to this post." But I have a questions about this unit; did you have to make a cable with the correct charge plug for your wheel?  Can you double the panels to get a quicker charge?, would the charge  be quicker if connected to car 12v outlet as mentioned in another post?

6 hours ago, PatLav said:

thx lots for the replys guys !! ... anyway I did ordered a V8  ill get it by february .. i dont mind waiting .. its winter time here and wont be able to use it anyway :) .... im noobie  with Uwheel im sure it will take me a while to control this machine heheh .. im very exited to try it :D

Awesome! I'm sure you'll get the hang of the wheel. Like I wrote in the first post it took me an hour to be able to stand on it and drive continuously :)

6 hours ago, PatLav said:

another question does it exist some kind of quick charger that it is safe to use that wont void the warranty ?

I believe Jason's selling a fast charger and maybe there will be a charge doctor in the future with double inputs like the other models already have. @hobby16 Do you know if there is a plan to make a double input CD for the v8? I'm actually also interested in that ;)

yeah i was going to go tru Jason  but im from Canada  and the Canada retailer had a better deal ... canadien $$ echange rate really suck at the moment .. so i have to go wheres is cheaper :D and Bram telling  only 1 hour to learn it hehehe 

When getting a quick charger for the V8, be sure you get the proper pin configuration for your version of the V8.  I was talking to Jason and it sounds like now Inmotion is shipping the V8 with 4 pin charging receptacles; not the 3 pin charging receptacle the V8 originally shipped with. 

Allen

2 hours ago, abinder3 said:

When getting a quick charger for the V8, be sure you get the proper pin configuration for your version of the V8.  I was talking to Jason and it sounds like now Inmotion is shipping the V8 with 4 pin charging receptacles; not the 3 pin charging receptacle the V8 originally shipped with. 

Changing the charging port plug type of a wheel even twice is a terrible decision. That I find very unprofessional, even if they would have very good reasons for their last change.

35 minutes ago, Mono said:

Changing the charging port plug type of a wheel even twice is a terrible decision. That I find very unprofessional, even if they would have very good reasons for their last change.

I disagree.  It sucks for the early adopters who bought the first few wheels, but if you are going to sell many more, I think it is better to just make the change on a product that will sell for the next year or two.

10 minutes ago, rdalcanto said:

I disagree.  It sucks for the early adopters who bought the first few wheels, but if you are going to sell many more, I think it is better to just make the change on a product that will sell for the next year or two.

Well, it still means they lack the expertise or brain power to make a reasonably good decision on the plug type(!) timely in the first place. Twice. How could this be considered professionalism?

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:22 AM, Smoother said:

Can you double the panels to get a quicker charge?, would the charge  be quicker if connected to car 12v outlet as mentioned in another post?

Yes to both. Higher Amp input on the converter will indeed produce higher Amp on output as well resulting in faster charging. This particular converter is though rated for "only" 100W so close to full battery (84V) it will be able to produce maximally about 1.2A (which is still pretty fast charging), at almost empty battery it will be almost 1.4A and you need to count also the losses / efficiency of used converter - at 12V (more like 13 to almost 14 though) you'll be pulling 7 to 8A so be sure your 12V socket is capable of that. This one is quite good (above 90%) and very compact and fully enclosed. Indeed you'll need to make (a set of) your own input and output cables - I have combinations for all possible sources and all my wheels. The input plug on the converter is detachable so it's very practical to switch inputs / outputs in field without any tools. There are more powerful DC/DC converters available but they're much larger, usually not enclosed and pain to carry around and use. This one is IMO a good compromise between compact enclosed unit and maximum wattage it can deal with for having it wit you all the time. You can basically plug any suitable DC input in it (like laptop charger) in case of emergency.

On 15/12/2016 at 6:27 PM, houseofjob said:
On 15/12/2016 at 1:06 PM, Bram said:

a cutout of the machine (without warning).

Ha!, we've all been there.

I wonder if this counts as unexpected shut-off? I guess it should as the rider didn't see it coming, so only from hindsight it could be called expected. About half of us "have never experienced an unexpected shut-off while riding":

17 hours ago, Mono said:

I wonder if this counts as unexpected shut-off? I guess it should as the rider didn't see it coming, so only from hindsight it could be called expected. About half of us "have never experienced an unexpected shut-off while riding":

Haha, the options aren't particularly mutually exclusive. Because I'm pretty sure this was my own fault (1st option), but because I was (/am :P) a newbie at riding it was unexpected (3rd option). I actually entered the first option because it's the most fitting.

20 minutes ago, Bram said:

Haha, the options aren't particularly mutually exclusive. Because I'm pretty sure this was my own fault (1st option), but because I was (/am :P) a newbie at riding it was unexpected (3rd option). I actually entered the first option because it's the most fitting.

If it was unexpected it's not the 3rd option for you (it says that you had never an unexpected cut-off). You have a point though that the options are not mutually exclusive while one can only choose one of them. That suggests that maybe the number of those who never had an unexpected shut-off could be even larger. IMHO it would also be useful to differentiate between a shut-off and a fold.

59 minutes ago, Mono said:

If it was unexpected it's not the 3rd option for you (it says that you had never an unexpected cut-off). You have a point though that the options are not mutually exclusive while one can only choose one of them. That suggests that maybe the number of those who never had an unexpected shut-off could be even larger. IMHO it would also be useful to differentiate between a shut-off and a fold.

That's true, misread it, but there's another hurdle. Can everyone differentiate between a shut-ff and a fold? As indicated by this thread it happened too fast for me to be sure what exactly happened... 

29 minutes ago, Bram said:

it would also be useful to differentiate between a shut-off and a fold.

Shut-off is just that - machine turns off, for whatever reason. A fold is where it can't do enough power /torque for what you are asking it to do so it 'folds out' from under you. Or at least that's how I understand it. I can't possibly imagine that's the only interpretation though... and the end result is the same, so I suspect the 2 terms are pretty much interchangeable.

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Shut-off is just that - machine turns off, for whatever reason. A fold is where it can't do enough power /torque for what you are asking it to do so it 'folds out' from under you. Or at least that's how I understand it. I can't possibly imagine that's the only interpretation though... and the end result is the same, so I suspect the 2 terms are pretty much interchangeable.

The point is that any wheel will fold under some demand, but no wheel should shut-off while the rider is mounted and moving above 2km/h or so. The difference between a simple fold and a cut-off can be huge: while folding the wheel still applies all its available torque whereas the wheel applies zero torque in the shut-off case. Therefore, a fold tends to be much more manageable by the rider than a shut-off.

2 hours ago, Bram said:

Can everyone differentiate between a shut-ff and a fold?

No, of course not, in a questionnaire you always would need a don't-know option for that.

Archived