Advice required. DIY motor disengage switch in handle

Smoother

14 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I worry that idea might lead to burn-outs of key components. If you physically stop the wheel turning, and then pick up your wheel not at the CoG, then won't it try to turn, find it can't, and then push harder and harder until something fails ?

Agreed, a mechanical stopper is definitely not an option. Ideally nothing should burn, but you will drain the battery big time and heat up the EUC.

19 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Door stop; kinda missing the point. I want to carry it quickly up or down some stairs, or into a roped off car park, etc and hop back on, all while switched on. The door stop will either shoot out or get impossibly wedged, or crack the case, or all three. ?

Ok.. in this case a video is worth a thousand words. I will have my grandson bring over his NB1 today to see if it works! Both my V5 and V8 have handle disconnects so that would be cheating. 

Test: I am curious as well so I will quickly go up and down a flight of stairs with the wedge in place on the NB1 to evaluate if it works. 

14 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I am really failing to see what is so arduous about turning your wheel off via the power button :) 

I guess it is not arduous, but annoying. You have to switch it off and then on again. This is annoying in particular because the on/off switch usually has a time delay and you kind-of have to wait (for a beep or whatever it is) until you get the feed back that the wheel has indeed switched off/on. It's just an annoying procedure when in a hurry also knowing that it could be much simpler.

@Rehab1

Please don't do that.  As @Cerbera said, you might burn out something, like when a wheel gets stuck under a bench and overloads the MOSfets trying to straighten up.  Besides, it's a moot point. It's 100 times easier just to switch it off rather than pfaff around with a wedge. Pleaseeee ?

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Ok.. in this case a video is worth a thousand words. I will have my grandson bring over his NB1 today to see if it works! Both my V5 and V8 have handle disconnects so that would be cheating. 

Test: I am curious as well so I will quickly go up and down a flight of stairs with the wedge in place on the NB1 to evaluate if it works. 

Don't hurt yourself, please. And be also aware that Ninebots indeed have been reported to burn dead when blocked.

14 minutes ago, Mono said:

I guess it is not arduous, but annoying. You have to switch it off and then on again. This is annoying in particular because the on/off switch usually has a time delay and you kind-of have to wait (for a beep or whatever it is) until you get the feed back that the wheel has indeed switched off/on. It's just an annoying procedure when in a hurry also knowing that it could be much simpler.

What he said. ?

2 hours ago, Mono said:

OK, let me put it differently: how do you know whether/when the wheel is not in the right position?

If I'm doing it right, the wheel isn't spinning. If I'm doing it wrong, it is ;)

If it's any help, I have 3 fingers curling under the handle, and my little finger above it pushing down. With practice, micro-adjustment of this counter-grip method means you can hold the wheel still, and counter any rotation that occurs in either direction before it becomes too fast. With more practice, you can do that while walking and thinking about something else...

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

@Rehab1

Please don't do that.  As @Cerbera said, you might burn out something, like when a wheel gets stuck under a bench and overloads the MOSfets trying to straighten up.  Besides, it's a moot point. It's 100 times easier just to switch it off rather than pfaff around with a wedge. Pleaseeee ?

I greatly appreciate your concerns! Love the little prayer hands!:)

I stand corrected and was totally wrong! The NB1 had an anxiety attack when I tried locking the wheel and then lifting it to climb some stairs! I had to give it a try! My tombstone will never read "Played It Safe"!

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

If I'm doing it right, the wheel isn't spinning. If I'm doing it wrong, it is ;)

right, my question was how do you find out that the wheel is (starting) spinning? I assume you don't look at it, right? 

the second question is then, how do you know in which direction it is (starting) spinning?

If it's any help, I have 3 fingers curling under the handle, and my little finger above it pushing down. With practice, micro-adjustment of this counter-grip method means you can hold the wheel still, and counter any rotation that occurs in either direction before it becomes too fast. With more practice, you can do that while walking and thinking about something else...

I managed when I stand still and concentrate, but fail completely when I start walking or climbing stairs. It seems like impossible. I reckon practice will help  :)

22 minutes ago, Mono said:

right, my question was how do you find out that the wheel is (starting) spinning? I assume you don't look at it, right? 

the second question is then, how do you know in which direction it is (starting) spinning?

Oh I just look, or can feel it moving through vibrations in the handle... it is particularly easy to see on an MS3 - I'll grant you could be a lot trickier on a wheel where you can't see at a glance what the rotation is doing...

28 minutes ago, Mono said:

I managed when I stand still and concentrate, but fail completely when I start walking or climbing stairs. It seems like impossible. I reckon practice will help  :)

Yep - practice is the key :) Just to be clear - you are not  trying to keep the wheel still as you walk - incidental forces make that impossible; rather you are making constant micro adjustments with your grip to keep bringing the wheel back to still as your other movements disrupt the center point. this is a proper PITA to do for any length of time, but if you're only trying to move the wheel up a few steps or a kerb, then it''s quick and easy, especially as the wheel doesn't have to be perfectly still when you put it down.

Yep - practice is the key :) Just to be clear - you are not  trying to keep the wheel still as you walk - incidental forces make that impossible; rather you are making constant micro adjustments with your grip to keep bringing the wheel back to still as your other movements disrupt the center point. this is a proper PITA to do for any length of time, but if you're only trying to move the wheel up a few steps or a kerb, then it''s quick and easy, especially as the wheel doesn't have to be perfectly still when you put it down.

We've got 3 days of wind and rain forecast here so I can't ride.  Might as well try it indoors, can't hurt.

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I greatly appreciate your concerns! Love the little prayer hands!:)

I stand corrected and was totally wrong! The NB1 had an anxiety attack when I tried locking the wheel and then lifting it to climb some stairs! I had to give it a try! My tombstone will never read "Played It Safe"!

So, you had to try it. Despite all the warnings, and misgivings, and pleadings, and tiny praying hands, you still had to go there.  ? You're really luck you didn't let the smoke out.?⚡️⚰ ?

BTW speaking of playing it safe, when you say your in rehab. Do you mean as a clinician?, or as a patient? ?

What ever your tombstone is going to read, better choose it quick ?

8 minutes ago, Smoother said:

So, you had to try it. Despite all the warnings, and misgivings, and pleadings, and tiny praying hands, you still had to go there.  ? You're really luck you didn't let the smoke out.?⚡️⚰ ?

BTW speaking of playing it safe, when you say your in rehab. Do you mean as a clinician?, or as a patient? ?

What ever your tombstone is going to read, better choose it quick ?

Man I am taking a lot of heat here:(  The experiment lasted only 2 seconds. No smoke. 

Giving your Ninebot a "wedgie" is not good.  :huh:  I've been doing the level balance zero spin practice in order to try to drain my battery indoors.  I can get it to stop completely for a few seconds and tilt it slightly to move a little in each direction, but it's tricky.  It's so easy to tilt too much and then the wheel goes zooming up to tiltback and shutdown.  Maybe with more practice going up some stairs could be doable, but it's probably just as fast, safer, and easier to shut it down I think,

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Giving your Ninebot a "wedgie" is not good.  :huh:  I've been doing the level balance zero spin practice in order to try to drain my battery indoors.  I can get it to stop completely for a few seconds and tilt it slightly to move a little in each direction, but it's tricky.  It's so easy to tilt too much and then the wheel goes zooming up to tiltback and shutdown.  Maybe with more practice going up some stairs could be doable, but it's probably just as fast, safer, and easier to shut it down I think,

Yes I realized that my little experiment was not a good idea as I stated a few episodes back. I was trying to help out but sometimes it is best to just refrain from comment.

to try to drain my battery indoors.  

Winter is the perfect time to practice going backwards and forwards in the kitchen, that will drain the battery.:)

I think it was Chris Westlake who posted a video of him doing that while his dog was on the floor watching him with a WTF look on it's face.

Maybe with more practice going up some stairs could be doable, but it's probably just as fast, safer, and easier to shut it down

Yes, of all the options discussed so far, for a wheel that does not come with a disengage switch in the handle, the most practical answer is turn it off with the regular switch. I think it would be great if more EUC companies would begin including a disengage switch in the handle.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Yes I realized that my little experiment was not a good idea as I stated a few episodes back. I was trying to help out but sometimes it is best to just refrain from comment.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for out of the box solutions, and the diagram was nice.  :thumbup:   I was just worried for the MOSFETs, those pesky electronics components that burn out sometimes.

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

sometimes it is best to just refrain from comment.

True, so true. It can get a little testy on here sometimes.  That's why I try to stay in the "lets keep the discussion light" camp.  Light, and respectful. I once insulted @zlymex but I apologised quickly, and I believe things are cool between us now.  That's when I realised its not worth pissing people off, this is a community and despite its virtual nature I think the rules of decorum still apply, maybe even more so, since we can't convey vocal tone, or read facial expressions or body language.

thats where these little buggers ???? help, by substituting for all the other clues that we can't experience.  They are not just for teenage girls on facetube or backchat, they are a vital communication substitution tool. ? See!

I think if there was some way to mount a separate handle with a link onto an exact dead centre point on the top of the wheel's casing, lifting the wheel at that centre point would allow the wheel to act like a plumb weight with a single point of support.   As long as it isn't swaying, and it is lifted straight up it should stay level so theoretically the controller wouldn't drive the motor allowing one to carry it while turned on.  See Diagram One:

87361d2e75.jpg

On 12/19/2016 at 5:57 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think if there was some way to mount a separate handle with a link onto an exact dead centre point on the top of the wheel's casing, lifting the wheel at that centre point would allow the wheel to act like a plumb weight with a single point of support.   As long as it isn't swaying, and it is lifted straight up it should stay level so theoretically the controller wouldn't drive the motor allowing one to carry it while turned on.  See Diagram One:

87361d2e75.jpg

It's coming back down where you'll be swaying, depending on how much you had to drink:innocent1:

On 18 December 2016 at 8:40 PM, Cerbera said:

You were right.  I had a little practice this morning and keeping the wheel from spinning up to max was relatively simple.  Sure it spun a bit, but adjusting the tilt slowed it down and returned it to zero, or slightly the other direction. Little tilts forwards  and backwards kept it spinning slowly in both directions close to zero speed, a bit like idling.  I found that putting my thumb along the top, pointing forwards, allowed me greater control of it.  I will practice in the real world and let you know. 

EDIT.  It works in the real world too.  I went up the mountain trail again today, and successfully carried it, live, over a few obstacles.  Piece of cake.  Later on, I was half way up about 40 steps when i thought, this is silly and turned it off.  For short obstacles it's good. For longer obstacles it's easier to switch off.  One tip is to make sure the rotational speed is low when putting it down on the other side, to avoid any issues.

Archived