GotWay Monster Seat

On 7/5/2017 at 3:40 PM, edwin_rm said:

After testing the GW Monster's seat today for the first time, here are my observations:

-It makes the Monster more comfortable to ride when standing up. With the seat attached, the extra knee support makes it handle more like the King Song 18. Smoother, better stand up riding. Gives firm support between the knees. A must! Bottom line: using the seat makes stand-up riding more stable (great benefit!).

-Riding while sitting down takes a lot of practice to learn properly, especially cornering and going over bumps. I often found myself standing up to take corners, then sitting down on the straights. Acceleration/Deceleration is no problem while seated, just lean upper body.

Conclusion... I love it!

Really interesting to know!  And a point of note to those who don't feel so good about how tall the KS18 is.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Can't see my arse sliding that well due to my black shorts + black Monster seat, but this is the idea (you can also see it's way easier to really push acceleration seated; shout out to @logos122 for shooting this!): 

You probably terrified some of the oncoming traffic in the left lane with some of your exaggerated carving :shock2:  Looks like a fun ride :D

Out here in California some Monster riders have demonstrated how the Monster becomes a killer hill climbing machine when sitting on it. This, compared to how awful it is at hill climbing while standing is very interesting.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You probably terrified some of the oncoming traffic in the left lane with some of your exaggerated carving :shock2:  Looks like a fun ride :D

Just innocent passing :D

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Out here in California some Monster riders have demonstrated how the Monster becomes a killer hill climbing machine when sitting on it. This, compared to how awful it is at hill climbing while standing is very interesting.

Pedal dip is the culprit.

After learned the Monster has waaaaaay more acceleration from seated riding, I now lean much deeper while riding standing. Unfortunately, this tilts the pedals almost to the 45º-and-greater breaking point just on flats, not to mention incline (I've experienced on other EUCs, while over-calibrating to compensate for tiltback, that at some point / pedal dip angle, the gyro gets confused as to the balancing plane and cutsout-on-lean).

This, combined with the fact that we all learn as beginners to leg lean, not body lean (for safety), and watch for overlean cutouts, makes 'unlocking' the Monster's true acceleration while standing prohibitive.

I would imagine, to max accelerate the Monster, you would have to literally throw your upper body forward, which I am not daring enough to do. :ph34r: Seated, however, your center of mass is lower, and more condensed, which makes it easier to focus the majority of your body weight forward, while not even noticing pedal dip, or the pedals period, since the feet are on tip-toes.

13 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Can't see my arse sliding that well due to my black shorts + black Monster seat, but this is the idea (you can also see it's way easier to really push acceleration seated; shout out to @logos122 for shooting this!): 

A lot of Dbag moves in this video. I like to ride my Monster fast while seated too, but I don't endanger pedestrians and bicyclists with showboat carving scoffing at lane lines.  The worst is at 2:35 where dude needles through a pedestrian crossing WAY too fast. You would have caught my umbrella sideways if I could bring it up that fast. Come on man!  You're going to f this up for the rest of us.

40 minutes ago, Demian B said:

A lot of Dbag moves in this video. I like to ride my Monster fast while seated too, but I don't endanger pedestrians and bicyclists with showboat carving scoffing at lane lines.  The worst is at 2:35 where dude needles through a pedestrian crossing WAY too fast. You would have caught my umbrella sideways if I could bring it up that fast. Come on man!  You're going to f this up for the rest of us.

You clearly don't know NYC.

It's not showboating, it's passing oblivious tourist bicycles (who mind you are more reckless and oblivious of any rules) who clog the Greenway 2-3 bikes wide sometimes, when they should be single file on the right-hand side to allow for passing, by common NYC street law. Pedestrians/Runners are not supposed to even be on the Greenway, it's meant only for bicycles; there's a parallel path for them, as I run daily on that path.

And you're not paying attention to the fact that I slow down for every crosswalk or unfeasible passing. 2:35 was not at full speed and was only ridden through because things were clear, not to mention the fact that the camera angle is obscured, so you are making your own presumptions.

And even if this was all the case, as you claim, your "ruin this for the rest of us" position, while understandable, is pretty naive: the more popular anything gets, the more people you won't see on camera are already "ruining it for the rest of you."

12 minutes ago, CaptainKBLS said:

How much is the seat and does it fit the ACM16? or close enough?

Gotway seats tend to be around $55-$95.

They're really tailor made for the individual wheel (clips on), so there would be no guarantee of either fitting the ACM.

If you wanted to take the risk, I'd go for the MSuperV3 seat, as I imagine that seat compensates more for the shorter wheel height (I'm assuming so, as I don't own an MSuperV3 currently).

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Surprising and very good to know for potential purchasers, too.  By now it seemed to have become the established wisdom that the Monster was weak in that regard.  

Who knows, maybe a good number of readers who had decided against a Monster will now change their minds about how they'd like to spend their money.

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Gotway seats tend to be around $55-$95.

They're really tailor made for the individual wheel (clips on), so there would be no guarantee of either fitting the ACM.

If you wanted to take the risk, I'd go for the MSuperV3 seat, as I imagine that seat compensates more for the shorter wheel height (I'm assuming so, as I don't own an MSuperV3 currently).

Just a note -- I got my seat for the MSuper V3 from Jason at ewheels.com, so he sells them too.  

4 hours ago, zlymex said:

At this moment, the third(group) ride to Tibet of 2500km is in progress. All the four members are ridding Monster with seats, but they are different from the ops.
For those who can view, here is the video list(update daily):   http://i.youku.com/i/UNDAzOTUyOTAxNg==

Seats.thumb.jpg.028d6a63f4067db67a06bd92d8672cb9.jpg

Looks like mostly KS18 seats on Monsters.

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Sounds like defying conventional physics. Though, if pedal size is the limiting factor while standing, it suddenly makes perfectly sense. 

7 hours ago, houseofjob said:

You clearly don't know NYC.

It's not showboating, it's passing oblivious tourist bicycles (who mind you are more reckless and oblivious of any rules) who clog the Greenway 2-3 bikes wide sometimes, when they should be single file on the right-hand side to allow for passing, by common NYC street law. Pedestrians/Runners are not supposed to even be on the Greenway, it's meant only for bicycles; there's a parallel path for them, as I run daily on that path.

And you're not paying attention to the fact that I slow down for every crosswalk or unfeasible passing. 2:35 was not at full speed and was only ridden through because things were clear, not to mention the fact that the camera angle is obscured, so you are making your own presumptions.

And even if this was all the case, as you claim, your "ruin this for the rest of us" position, while understandable, is pretty naive: the more popular anything gets, the more people you won't see on camera are already "ruining it for the rest of you."

You seem to be excusing your cavalier riding style because others disregard Greenway rules.  I like chaos as well but would not take those risks.  My point was that you've posted this video on a prominent forum showing highly inadvisable technique.  It's important to let others know that you're a trained professional and bystanders in your video are actors. 

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The riders @Marty Backe is refering to is myself and @Sven.The seat for the Monster is a great accessory and I really like it.However,usage of my seat for less than a hundred miles caused the foam in the seat to start to tear from underneath.I used some silicone to repair it by applying a liberal coating to the seat underneath where it sits on the wheel thus giving the foam much greater strength against tearing.So far,I have riden over a hundred miles while seated and the silicone has prevented any more foam tearing.:D

37 minutes ago, Demian B said:

You seem to be excusing your cavalier riding style because others disregard Greenway rules.  I like chaos as well but would not take those risks.  My point was that you've posted this video on a prominent forum showing highly inadvisable technique.  It's important to let others know that you're a trained professional and bystanders in your video are actors. 

Think whatever you want then.

My actions speak for themselves. Speed and acceleration is used only for passing and clear paths; I yield to people who obey the rules of the Greenway, not the ones who don't.

20 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You probably terrified some of the oncoming traffic in the left lane with some of your exaggerated carving :shock2: 

12 hours ago, Demian B said:

Have to sadly agree.

6 minutes ago, JrKline "Wheel Whisperer said:

However,usage of my seat for less than a hundred miles caused the foam in the seat to start to tear from underneath.I used some silicone to repair it by applying a liberal coating to the seat underneath where it sits on the wheel thus giving the foam much greater strength against tearing.So far,I have riden over a hundred miles while seated and the silicone has prevented any more foam tearing.:D

Nice! I have to try that, as my seat has already started tearing after almost 2 month's daily use.

6 minutes ago, Mono said:

Have to sadly agree.

That's fine, everyone has their own opinion

You guys should stay away from riding in NYC then; you'll get eaten alive by the cyclists, they're way 'worse'.

7 hours ago, houseofjob said:

You guys should stay away from riding in NYC then; 

Thanks for your advise and hospitality. AFAICS the world would be a safer place if you would stay away from riding in NYC, not us.

When I drive in NYC the culture is to drive at other cars. If you want to change lanes, you just aim for the tiny space between bumpers and push your way in. You just have to trust that the other car will move out of the way, like ants streaming across a picnic table. I cant imagine that the bikes are any better, seeing the rules of the road. Greenway rules are unknown by tourists and the majority of first year riders like myself. It is funny that other areas of the country react to the hustle and bustle of NYC commuting.

that being said, even on my inmotion V8 I will squat down while going up hills to make it easier. I wonder what the physics is behind this phenomenon. 

9 minutes ago, Mono said:

Thanks for your advise and hospitality. AFAICS the world would be a safer place if you would stay away from riding in NYC, not us.

Strong words there buddy.

You clearly seem to be more of an expert on NYC culture and traffic than I am apparently, and I've lived here all my life. <_<

40 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

that being said, even on my inmotion V8 I will squat down while going up hills to make it easier. I wonder what the physics is behind this phenomenon. 

foot pain? or to condense your mass so you get more lean uphill?

I dont get foot pain. Occasionally I will get knee lock up pain (cramp) on heavy machines like Msuper2 the first time I ride them. 

It happens on sandy 45° uphill offroad riding in Griffith Park. Its easier if I squat down over the machine while leaning forward on steep inclines. Also on a very steep street, San Fransisco steep, it helps to squat when it seems like its losing torque near the top of the climb.

Just now, Stan Onymous said:

On sandy 45° uphill offroad riding in Griffith Park its easier if I squat down over the machine while leaning forward. Also on a very steep street, San Fransisco steep, it helps to squat when it seems like its losing torque near the top of the climb.

Yeah, sounds similar to seated riding where you concentrate more of your weight on the front of the EUC, without doing super body leans that would welcome faceplanting.

Archived