GotWay Monster Seat

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id recommend to order the seat with the wheel. It seems to be bigger than msuper's and has to be more comfortable ( maupers feels a little short) . It takes a little while to learn how to control the wheel while sitting down, but then it comes in handly during longer rides.

besides, ihave found another use for the seat - it somewhat protects the top of the wheel in the rain . Ive only ridden mauper with the seat ( not the monster), but imagine they are very much alike.

I wish I could convince myself that the seat was a safe way to ride, but I can't get over the feeling that because you are crouched and so much closer to the ground, if anything causes you to faceplant, I don't think your arms have enough time to come out, and so your head is going to be the first thing to hit the ground, and there is a decent chance that the wheel will hit you once it has dumped you; I would say adding insult to injury but probably in reality it would be adding injury to injury! So far, that is stopping me ordering one for my MS3. 

When you're riding seated, you should hold a pair of (unconnected) handlebars out in front of you... 

From a safety perspective, it means you're ready to break your fall (should worst case scenario occur).

But more importantly, just imagine the looks you would get!!! Make sure someone follows you with a video camera...

12 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I wish I could convince myself that the seat was a safe way to ride, but I can't get over the feeling that because you are crouched and so much closer to the ground, if anything causes you to faceplant, I don't think your arms have enough time to come out, and so your head is going to be the first thing to hit the ground, and there is a decent chance that the wheel will hit you once it has dumped you; I would say adding insult to injury but probably in reality it would be adding injury to injury! So far, that is stopping me ordering one for my MS3. 

I tend to think that a large initial distance of the head to the ground is rather a bad than a good thing in case of a crash. What makes a crash dangerous to the head, besides obstacles, is the vertical momentum gained during the fall. Being already close to the ground means no vertical momentum can be gained and this makes a crash, as long as you don't hit any obstacles, most of the times very benign. There is no way to fall violently when the starting position is sitting on (or close to) the ground. What remains is the road rash which you get in either scenario.

There are safety disadvantages of a sitting position, IMHO most prominently the more restricted sight and cognition (both ways). Yet I would guess that sitting is on the whole still slightly safer than standing, if it allows similar levels of steering control (which I can't say for sure).

3 minutes ago, Mono said:

There is no way to fall violently when the starting position is sitting on (or close to) the ground.

So planking on an EUC is the best way to ride then... Challenge accepted! 

1 hour ago, Mono said:

There is no way to fall violently when the starting position is sitting on (or close to) the ground. What remains is the road rash which you get in either scenario.

...unless the thing that has been carrying you at 35 kph suddenly stops doing so, and folds forwards, as they all seem to do on cutouts at speed... that would literally rotate you head-first into the ground wouldn't it ? And then probably run (or fly) over the top of you !

But of course I'm really happy to be proved wrong. Anyone volunteering to do some seated crash tests ? :)

i see it like this...

if you really have a cutout on higher speed, sitting or very low upper legs=bended knees will help you more than standing upright!

you got a good chance of rolling on the sight when  sitting...

when you are standiing ...from own experience...you just smash on the ground.

my 2 cents....

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

...unless the thing that has been carrying you at 35 kph suddenly stops doing so, and folds forwards, as they all seem to do on cutouts at speed... that would literally rotate you head-first into the ground wouldn't it ? And then probably run (or fly) over the top of you !

I agree with @KingSong69. Even in this scenario, I would prefer sitting over standing. When sitting there is some chance that the knees go down first and usually rolling is better than splashing, if you see what I mean. I agree that there is a larger chance the wheel hitting you, but overall that's still preferable over splashing the head into the ground from 180+cm.

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

But of course I'm really happy to be proved wrong. Anyone volunteering to do some seated crash tests ? :)

Not me. I don't even have a seat, and a single experiment wouldn't tell us much anyways, and I am very happy to play the smart ass at the green table B)

Maybe it's just me, but riding while sitting on an EUC seems to suck the 'cool' factor out-of-the-room. For me, it ain't going to happen B)

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Maybe it's just me, but riding while sitting on an EUC seems to suck the 'cool' factor out-of-the-room. For me, it ain't going to happen B)

But, if you did wheel sitting down, you would get much more use out of the "cup holder" mod...     :cheers:

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

yeah, but if I would have to go some 15+ minutes just flat out straight on a daily basis, I still would seriously consider it...

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It looks real cool when one is riding sitting down and then all of a sudden gets up and starts riding standing up. Looks super hot, peopke go crazy when they see hiw versatile the miracle wheel is

On 12/9/2016 at 0:33 PM, Mono said:

I tend to think that a large initial distance of the head to the ground is rather a bad than a good thing in case of a crash. What makes a crash dangerous to the head, besides obstacles, is the vertical momentum gained during the fall. Being already close to the ground means no vertical momentum can be gained and this makes a crash, as long as you don't hit any obstacles, most of the times very benign. There is no way to fall violently when the starting position is sitting on (or close to) the ground. What remains is the road rash which you get in either scenario.

There are safety disadvantages of a sitting position, IMHO most prominently the more restricted sight and cognition (both ways). Yet I would guess that sitting is on the whole still slightly safer than standing, if it allows similar levels of steering control (which I can't say for sure).

If padded very well (to the level of @EUC Extreme wears) a fall going 20 mph+ might be better in a sitting position, given that there's less vertical height for the fall. I would just worry about the 60 pound monster landing on and breaking my back. @EUC Extreme thoughts?

39 minutes ago, logos122 said:

I would just worry about the 60 pound monster landing on and breaking my back.

Though you and the monster start out from the same point with the same speed, and speed difference is all what matters to make a hit hard. Unless you hit an obstacle (which you really don't want) it's kind-of difficult to see how after you and the monster separated, first a significant speed differential is built and then you meet each other again making a hard hit. It seems like one of you would need to go around in a circle to achieve this. Maybe not impossible, but after all rather unlikely and I don't see why it couldn't happen from a standing position just the same. 

@Mono in one of @EUC Extreme's newer videos that shows him crashing several times, one time he flew off the wheel, and as his body was stopping, the wheel came from behind, hit him slightly in the back near the head, and kept tumbling in front of him.  But that was on a dirt trail.  I don't think he was hurt much, his safety gear helped protect him.

Riding with bent knees kind of crouched down feels safer to ride fast 

1 hour ago, logos122 said:

there's less vertical height for the fall.

One of the reasons why I'll finish with a thick cushion, leaving the shape of a square. Is it that, Rectangular shape does not start rolling so easily and hit my back so easily. I have often received from the high speed device on my back, and it's a hard blow. Without protective gear, it certainly is even dangerous.
Any way, it is not beautiful. but practical :)

7 hours ago, logos122 said:

a fall going 20 mph+ might be better in a sitting position

He already did a speed test sitting down on the wheel so as not to fall too far when the wheel inevitably cut off.  If I remember correctly, @EUC Extreme reached something like 45kmh on an icy road with tire studs, he was prepared for the fall and just slid with no harm.  I think I saw it in the video thread, but good luck finding it, with so many videos there.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So does farting while you're leaning forward!  :facepalm:

That's probably right. Though at speeds above 20km/h the effect of sitting vs standing on the range should indeed become even notable, you could ultimately gain something like 20%.

• 6 months later...

After testing the GW Monster's seat today for the first time, here are my observations:

-It makes the Monster more comfortable to ride when standing up. With the seat attached, the extra knee support makes it handle more like the King Song 18. Smoother, better stand up riding. Gives firm support between the knees. A must! Bottom line: using the seat makes stand-up riding more stable (great benefit!).

-Riding while sitting down takes a lot of practice to learn properly, especially cornering and going over bumps. I often found myself standing up to take corners, then sitting down on the straights. Acceleration/Deceleration is no problem while seated, just lean upper body.

Conclusion... I love it!

2 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

-Riding while sitting down takes a lot of practice to learn properly, especially cornering and going over bumps. I often found myself standing up to take corners, then sitting down on the straights. Acceleration/Deceleration is no problem while seated, just lean upper body.

The key is to really move and slide around your bottom on the seat, to offset and compensate your balance on the turns.  

Deeper turns will see your knee starting to reach for the ground, ala motorcycle racers and how they lean on turns.

At least, that's what helped me to the point where I don't really stand up anymore for turns while riding the Monster seated.  Hopefully we can arrange an NYC group ride soon and I can show you!

Archived