POLL for faceplant (euc) literally or figuratively?

John Eucist

EUC "faceplant" literally or figuratively?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. When you talk about "faceplanting" (on a euc) do you mean that literally?

• Yes, I mean smashing the face on the floor.
    • No, I just mean falling forward violently on the floor but not necessarily hitting the face.
    • Neither. I've never talked about faceplanting on a euc.
  2. 2. When you hear about someone "faceplanting" (on a euc) do you assume that literally?

• Yes, I assume they smashed their face on the floor.
    • No, I just assume they fell forward violently on the floor but not necessarily hitting their face.
    • Neither. I've never heard about anyone talking about faceplanting on a euc.

22 minutes ago, Mono said:

and therefore you wouldn't have any complaint if someone had manipulated the brakes of the car to have fun watching you crashing?

Of course I would complain, as I am paying to borrow what should be a safe vehicle. But if it were to happen, it becomes my liability / responsibility. 

Were I to steal a car and find out that it didn't work properly, then there isn't much I could complain about...

10 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Were I to steal a car and find out that it didn't work properly, then there isn't much I could complain about...

Agreed. However that is quite different to someone setting you up to an unauthorized usage of an unsafe car. Shit happens all the time. The difference is when someone deliberately set it up to let (more) shit happen.

11 minutes ago, Mono said:

Agreed. However that is quite different to someone setting you up to an unauthorized usage of an unsafe car. Shit happens all the time. The difference is when someone deliberately set it up to let (more) shit happen.

(other than the outcome) That sounds a lot like a police sting operation...

Just now, The Fat Unicyclist said:

(other than the outcome) That sounds just like a police sting operation...

right, it does, though a sting operation is not just done for the fun of it, but authorized and "for a greater good". Still, I do consider police sting operations if they incentivize to commit a crime as unethical and AFAIK they are illegal (i.e. agreed upon as unethical) in many modern societies.

6 hours ago, Mono said:

I was also wondering whether the prank is fake, but at least some of the falls do not look at all staged to me.

It reminded me of the old Candid Camera TV show, only with the potential for serious injury.

On 12/7/2016 at 0:31 PM, Smoother said:

John you might also like:

ass over tit. (US) 

arse over tit. (UK)

(polite) arse over tea kettle (tea kettle replaces the "T" sound in tit. Not sure how arse managed to stay.)

ass- backwards or its ass-backwards cousin, bass- ackwards 

Eat dust

adopt a tree

insufficient flapping

swan dive

dying in an accident or generally

bit the dust 

Bought the farm

dirt nap

pushing up daisies 

kicked the bucket

popped his clogs 

met his maker

gone to meet the choir in bleeding Visibule:P  That reminded me so much of the dead parrot sketch by Monty Python.  He's pining for the fjords.  Mate, that parrot wouldn't voom if you put 4 million volts through it.:lol:  One of my favorite sketches by them.

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

(other than the outcome) That sounds a lot like a police sting operation...

Or Candid Camera.  Or Youtube video pranksters, like the ones that kept pouring shampoo on peoples head so they could never rinse it out, @Hunka Hunka Burning Love posted that video, it looks staged also.

5 hours ago, Mono said:

Still, I do consider police sting operations if they incentivize to commit a crime as unethical and AFAIK they are illegal (i.e. agreed upon as unethical) in many modern societies.

I don't know, it's like fishing, it gets the bad ones out of the pond at least for a while, and hopefully teaches them a lesson.  If the police put bait cars out, at least it makes it less likely that an innocent citizen will get their car stolen that day.

And if those were real thieves in that video, take that you creeps!:whistling::w00t2:

51 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I do consider police sting operations if they incentivize to commit a crime as unethical

That means putting a temptation in front of someone.  If I saw an unlocked bicycle I might be tempted to take it but I wouldn't because my life is not so bad that I want to take that bike.  I would think of the owner and give respect to them.

If I was late for a job to make money for my family, I might take the bike. 

Depends on the circumstances.

Now that I think about it, maybe the signs they put up at the mall, lock, take, hide, make a lot of sense.  Why risk losing what you have by leaving it ripe for the taking?

And also, take, lock, hide all the people that steal:angry:  Except for kleptomaniacs, they just can't help it.  I swear, everytime I get a new helper, something goes missing:facepalm:  Or something breaks. 

On 12/9/2016 at 8:57 AM, Keith said:

It's a BSA (Birmingham Small Arms)

I never knew BSA made bicycles.  Is that the same company that made the 441 Victor motorcycle?  Saw someone riding one when I was a kid, it looked badass, I think it had a yellow gas tank.  This was back in the seventies.

I also did not know they made small arms:facepalm:

22 hours ago, steve454 said:

I never knew BSA made bicycles.  Is that the same company that made the 441 Victor motorcycle?  Saw someone riding one when I was a kid, it looked badass, I think it had a yellow gas tank.  This was back in the seventies.

I also did not know they made small arms:facepalm:

Oh yes it is the same company it was called the BSA B44 in U.K., 441 Victor in US as it was 441c.c. : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSA_B44_Shooting_Star.

They do still make guns, but being UK it is of course air guns these days: http://bsaguns.co.uk/ 

My bike had the classic 3 crossed rifle logo. I did also, as a teenager, own a BSA Scorpion air pistol, also something of a classic now, but long gone unfortunately (as are the days that a teenager could own an airgun in Britain!). So only thing I didn't have was their motorbike, I guess, instead I helped their demise by having a Suzuki (a T125 Wolf in blue - another rare classic apparently only sold in Japan but one came my way and ended up wrapped around the front wing of a learner driver!)

Isn't it safe to assume that when someone 'faceplants' there is the perception in the faceplanting rider that the ground is swiftly approaching the dismounted rider's face?

As opposed to the airbag scenario in a car where the accident victim is stopped by a protective inflating cushion.

Whether or not the rider breaks his/her fall with face, arms , hands, knees, chest, padded gear or a combination thereof the threat of being injured in the facial region as the ground comes closer to the head is an attribute of the faceplant for the rider. Observer's can only guess the extent of injury.

Archived