How to get it going faster than 12 kph (7 mph)

Gerald Kealakai

Need some help, and cannot seem to find it.  My NOE+ will only go 12 kph (7 mph) and there is no setting faster than 12kph on the firmware when the NOE+ is connected via Bluetooth:

BACKGROUND: I am using V2.1.5 Ninedroid app on an Android and the NOE+ has firmware V1.2.2 installed.   The units are set to "Imperial" but the speed is shown as KPH under "Speed Settings".  When the NOE+ IS NOT connected with Bluetooth, Speed Settings shows "Lit-Speed of Normal Mode" and "Lit Speed of Lit-Mode".   When my NOE+ IS connected using Bluetooth, only the "Lit Speed of Lit-Mode" is shown, and the maximum setting is shown as 12kph (about 7.2 mph) and it DOES NOT further show the choice of 20 kph (12 mph)

QUESTIONS:

1) any idea what "Lit" means?;

2) are people also experiencing two settings (Normal and Lit Modes) when their unit is not connected, then only "Lit Speed of Lit-Mode" when their unit is connected to Bluetooth?;

3) any ideas on how I can get the “Lit Speed of Normal Mode” to show when the NOE+ is connected via. Bluetooth, so that I can choose the macho speed of 20?

set it to 0

Need some help, and cannot seem to find it.  My NOE+ will only go 12 kph (7 mph) and there is no setting faster than 12kph on the firmware when the NOE+ is connected via Bluetooth:

BACKGROUND: I am using V2.1.5 Ninedroid app on an Android and the NOE+ has firmware V1.2.2 installed.   The units are set to "Imperial" but the speed is shown as KPH under "Speed Settings".  When the NOE+ IS NOT connected with Bluetooth, Speed Settings shows "Lit-Speed of Normal Mode" and "Lit Speed of Lit-Mode".   When my NOE+ IS connected using Bluetooth, only the "Lit Speed of Lit-Mode" is shown, and the maximum setting is shown as 12kph (about 7.2 mph) and it DOES NOT further show the choice of 20 kph (12 mph)

QUESTIONS:

1) any idea what "Lit" means?;

2) are people also experiencing two settings (Normal and Lit Modes) when their unit is not connected, then only "Lit Speed of Lit-Mode" when their unit is connected to Bluetooth?;

3) any ideas on how I can get the “Lit Speed of Normal Mode” to show when the NOE+ is connected via. Bluetooth, so that I can choose the macho speed of 20?

Set it to 0, Set it to 1. Set it to 2. Set it to 3 (default).   Turned the NOE+ off then on each time.  No difference, cannot choose a speed higher than 12 kph.

Come to think of it, today I set the speed to 4 kph, turned everything off then on, and the NOE+ still went about 12 kph.

Are you showing both "Normal" and "Lit-speed" under speed settings when your NOE+ is connected via. Bluetooth.

An are you using Android or Apple?

im using apple give me a minute ill make a video . I just randomly went over some of the only options you have lol ask whatever and ill make another video

I am with you but I didn't touch the setting at all. Lit speed is meant to be limited speed/capped speed or half speed model. Don't worry about your normal speed setting e+ can go 22 the maximum setting is 20 then why bother.

Tonight "popcorn" sent me a video of his phone's screen while being connected to his NOE+.  He is using Apple, I am using Android.   Our dashboard's are similar, however the other functions under "Settings" are different.  So there seems to be a difference between the "Ninedroid" app when it is installed on an Apple or an Android.

I also downloaded "Ninedroid" app on my wife's Android tonight.  Connecting to my NOE+, with her app running one cannot even change the speed settings, whereas with my Android at least I can set the speed to maximum speed of 12 kph.

So at this time I am thinking that the "Ninedroid" app works on the Apple, but is glitchy on the Android.

They are better alternatively. Depends which one updates later.

Sounds like he's having more than a "better" problem though. I would be bummed to only be able to do 7mph the top speed isn't even fast enough. 

Hi doesn't have a problem. He just didn't know what lit speed is.

He think his unit can only go 12 because he only saw the lit speed setting at 12. But the case is that is a setting for a half speed model. If you don't use that model your speed is capped at 22 as normal. I suppose he either didn't try ride fast against the speedometer or he accidently activate the half speed model....

The half speed model is meant to be used with friend or children who you don't want them to ride too fast.

Sounds like he's having more than a "better" problem though. I would be bummed to only be able to do 7mph the top speed isn't even fast enough. 

I have diagnosed the problem, but not the solution.

My cell phone's app is ANDROID.  Based on what I saw in Popcorn's PM video to me, If anyone is using an APPLE app, then they are getting different results than I am getting.  There are five pictures attached showing the Ninedroid's app with the NOE NOT connected, and then CONNECTED.

With my Android app NOT connected to my NOE+ there is shown two speed settings: "Normal and Limited Speed."

With my Android app CONNECTED to my NOE+, the only speed setting is "Limited Speed."  "Normal" does NOT even appear.

This now makes sense now why I crashed a few days ago at about plus 20 kph with absolutely NO warning, and without the NOE+ giving any feedback, it just let me pitch forward probably because it couldn't go any faster.  I had to figure this out logically - Yesterday I set the "Limited Speed" to 4 kph and for the first time clicked onto the icon on the dashboard and the NOE+ turned onto "Limited Speed" and the limited speed icon lit up.  At about the 4 kph speed, the pedals lifted backwards and caused me to slow down - this pedal feedback is what I have read from people's postings but it is the first time that I've experienced it.

When I crashed the other at speed (probably plus 20 kph), since the Android Ninedroid app DOES NOT have a "Normal" setting and thus it is responsible for programming  my NOE+, it would NOT have set a limit for the pedal/slow down feedback to the rider, i.e. it would have put my NOE+ in a type of freewheel setting, i.e. it would have allowed a "balls-out" speed with no feedback to the rider being provided if its maximum speed was exceeded.

If the above is correct, my workaround choices are:   1) push for the Ninedroid app to get cleaned up for the Android; 2) connect to my NOE+ with my friend's Apple phone, program it, then never reopen my Android app as that will in turn reprogram my NOE+ with the wrong settings (but then I would not be able to view battery levels, mileage, etc); 3) other ideas?

later, g.

011_1_1.jpg

012_1_1.jpg

013_1_1.jpg

014_1_1.jpg

015_1_1.jpg

I have diagnosed the problem, but not the solution.

My cell phone's app is ANDROID.  Based on what I saw in Popcorn's PM video to me, If anyone is using an APPLE app, then they are getting different results than I am getting.  There are five pictures attached showing the Ninedroid's app with the NOE NOT connected, and then CONNECTED.

With my Android app NOT connected to my NOE+ there is shown two speed settings: "Normal and Limited Speed."

With my Android app CONNECTED to my NOE+, the only speed setting is "Limited Speed."  "Normal" does NOT even appear.

This now makes sense now why I crashed a few days ago at about plus 20 kph with absolutely NO warning, and without the NOE+ giving any feedback, it just let me pitch forward probably because it couldn't go any faster.  I had to figure this out logically - Yesterday I set the "Limited Speed" to 4 kph and for the first time clicked onto the icon on the dashboard and the NOE+ turned onto "Limited Speed" and the limited speed icon lit up.  At about the 4 kph speed, the pedals lifted backwards and caused me to slow down - this pedal feedback is what I have read from people's postings but it is the first time that I've experienced it.

When I crashed the other at speed (probably plus 20 kph), since the Android Ninedroid app DOES NOT have a "Normal" setting and thus it is responsible for programming  my NOE+, it would NOT have set a limit for the pedal/slow down feedback to the rider, i.e. it would have put my NOE+ in a type of freewheel setting, i.e. it would have allowed a "balls-out" speed with no feedback to the rider being provided if its maximum speed was exceeded.

If the above is correct, my workaround choices are:   1) push for the Ninedroid app to get cleaned up for the Android; 2) connect to my NOE+ with my friend's Apple phone, program it, then never reopen my Android app as that will in turn reprogram my NOE+ with the wrong settings (but then I would not be able to view battery levels, mileage, etc); 3) other ideas?

later, g.

011_1_1.jpg

012_1_1.jpg

013_1_1.jpg

014_1_1.jpg

015_1_1.jpg

Not correct. The ninebot should always have a passive function to slow you down at maximum speed. So your fall is because of something else not the Ninebot not alerting you.

I have used it for more than half a year. My faith is based on facts and long time use. As for your high speed fall, it is very unusual and I would like to know more about it, road condition and whether powered off after fall. You can ask someone else to tell you about their experience with high speed riding with Ninebot One E+. You will have the same answer that it will tilt back the pedals and force you to slow down. As for the Speed setting, I am experience the same result as you with even just 2.1.2 app when no connection 2 settings, connected only lit speed setting available and I didn't touch the speed setting because it maxes at 20 and that is high enough.

So just do this, set your normal speed setting at 10 and see if it caps at 10 when you try your unit so we know if the normal speed setting makes any difference at all. then change it back to 20 and try again. 

As I said Ninebot One should always force you to stop at high speed if not then your unit is faulty most likely. If your power went off when you fall then you have major problems. You need to talk to me again.

To be frank with you I haven't try to ride fast with My ninebot E after update my app, I will try it again for you just to be sure.

Well Mengke.  Think that you were right.   I went to a soft grassy park this morning, fully armored and prepared to eat dirt.  In Settings: toggled the setting on the dashboard to the "Lit Mode".  At "Lit-Speed Lit Mode" set the NOE+ on 4 kph, rode it and felt the massive pushback from the NOE+ at about that speed, then set it on 6, then 8, 10, 12.  Each time at those speeds got a massive pushback from the footbeds.   Then toggled it off of "Lit Mode" and back to what should be "Normal Mode."   Then rode the NOE+ at higher and higher speeds until it hit about 13 kph - at that point there was one beep from the NOE+ and a tiny amount of pushback relative to the "Lit Mode."

In summary:   1) The Ninedroid app's dashboard is reading out speeds in KPH, where the reality is that the real speed is in MPH - so mine is in fact going 13 mph (not 13 kph) - that is a glitch with the app software;  2)  under Settings, "Lit-Normal" is not accessable to the user, so the default must be 20 kph as you mentioned;  3) the pushback at max speed that the NOE+ gives under "Normal Mode" is small relative to the "Lit Mode" and one has to be very attuned to noticing it in loud environments and bumpy riding surfaces.  4) My max. speed crash was in a loud area on smooth concrete on a slight downhill grade transitioning to a slightly steeper section.  Maybe two seconds before the crash the pedals "washed" a tiny amount as if the NOE+ was hunting for a speed - so I was probably at max. speed then just getting onto the slightly steeper section which finished things off. 

so mine is in fact going 13 mph (not 13 kph) - that is a glitch with the app software; 

You can set it to imperial or metric in the app. I suppose you chose the imperial one. For your information, the dangerous moment when riding is changing riding condition that is  change , angle,  speed and surface terrain, you may fall even before reaching the max speed. The tlt back at high speed is very gentle for a reason a harsh tilt up is annoying also dangerous at high speed. That easy tilting up is finely tuned. At start of the framework development , it was as harsh as in half speed mode, now it is actually much better. When you change from one terrain to another, it is very dangerous if you on full speed. The unit will beep to alert but if it is too fast you will fall anyway. So just slow down if you can tell the riding condition is about to change. The unit is self balancing the majority of the output should be used to ensure that. That is the key for safe riding. 

Please see my community for more info:

For your information, if you do ride a lot and you check the ranking sometimes. The No1. shows my website: 9bot1.webs.com

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem, but i do not have a compatible ios device (Bluetooth 4.0) to set it to normal mode. Is there any workaround to have the normal speed mode on a android device? Speed limit is 12 km/h . The other bug is that the speed indicator says i go 20 km/h but in reality i go 12-13 km/h.

Hi,

According to me, Gerald, you have activated the speed limit. On the dashboard, you have activated this speed limit by clicking on the icon, at bottom right of the dashboard (A). Then the symbol (B), on top, is lit. You should never activate the speed limit which is a permanent source of problems.

Just click again on the button, bottom left. Then turn off your 9B1 and turn it on again. It should be OK.

Have fun with it, it is a fantastic object.

Capture.JPG

Hi,

According to me, Gerald, you have activated the speed limit. On the dashboard, you have activated this speed limit by clicking on the icon, at bottom right of the dashboard (A). Then the symbol (B), on top, is lit. You should never activate the speed limit which is a permanent source of problems.

Just click again on the button, bottom left. Then turn off your 9B1 and turn it on again. It should be OK.

Have fun with it, it is a fantastic object.

Capture.JPG

Did you mean to click the bottom left, or bottom right icon, before turning 9B1 off?  Click the padlock (left), or click the speed-limit (right) icon?  

I would have guessed to click the right one (speed limit).  

[Yes, this does seem like the right avenue to explore.]

Double checked the speed limit. This was set to offf. 

Tried the app on an ipad air2 and have still the 12km/h limit. In the speed setings i see a dial that i can turn up to max 12. On the bottom of the screen i "see lit speed of lit mode". Can not change this.  Any one her who has tried the app on an ipad? 

The only way I could get it off of Limited Speed mode was to turn bluetooth off on my iPhone. But anytime my bluetooth is on my ninebot will switch back to limited speed mode within 3-10 seconds of riding. Made it much much much more difficult to learn.

The only way I could get it off of Limited Speed mode was to turn bluetooth off on my iPhone. But anytime my bluetooth is on my ninebot will switch back to limited speed mode within 3-10 seconds of riding. Made it much much much more difficult to learn.

Does it beep and the LED's change to red while riding?  I ask because mine has been doing this sometimes.  Then once it beeped and switched back to my normal LED pattern.  In my case I'm pretty sure my phone was not connected. 

I thought maybe somehow it was detecting that I'm a novice and automatically putting me into Limited Speed mode.  I don't know if it does that or not. When I do re-connect with my phone it shows that I am NOT in Limited Speed Mode.  But it could be that the App remembers my setting and changes it back as soon as it connects.  It does change my LEDs back to "Mood for Love" with custom colors.

Also, is there a REAL manual that explains all of the workings of the Ninebot One?  All I got was the Quick start manual.

Does it beep and the LED's change to red while riding?  I ask because mine has been doing this sometimes.  Then once it beeped and switched back to my normal LED pattern.  In my case I'm pretty sure my phone was not connected. 

I thought maybe somehow it was detecting that I'm a novice and automatically putting me into Limited Speed mode.  I don't know if it does that or not. When I do re-connect with my phone it shows that I am NOT in Limited Speed Mode.  But it could be that the App remembers my setting and changes it back as soon as it connects.  It does change my LEDs back to "Mood for Love" with custom colors.

Also, is there a REAL manual that explains all of the workings of the Ninebot One?  All I got was the Quick start manual.

Due to lack of a real manual i searched also for more detailed information.  I found most useful info here: Goto YouTube and search for "ninebot uk" there you can find a lot of information. This "speedyfeet" guy makes great video's 

I will try this evening to ride without BT connection.  Hope this will speedup my 9b1 to 20 km/h

Due to lack of a real manual i searched also for more detailed information.  I found most useful info here: Goto YouTube and search for "ninebot uk" there you can find a lot of information. This "speedyfeet" guy makes great video's

Yes, I've watched all of SpeedyFeet's video.  They are pretty good.  But I don't recall him mentioning what I was asking about.  I think I will play with it more and see if I can force it to do the beep thing (by the way) it's usually when I am walking with it beside me.  Then if I can force it to do it I will connect my phone and see if I can force it with the phone connected.

Yes, I've watched all of SpeedyFeet's video.  They are pretty good.  But I don't recall him mentioning what I was asking about.  I think I will play with it more and see if I can force it to do the beep thing (by the way) it's usually when I am walking with it beside me.  Then if I can force it to do it I will connect my phone and see if I can force it with the phone connected.

I had the beep and switch to red also yesterday.  I think it is the first low battery warning. 

Archived