any first hand impressions of ACM vs InmotionV8 or KS16?

Tomek

I'm thinking about what my next wheel should be. I'm pretty much set on going up a notch for a 16", and it looks like Inmotion v8, KS16(s) and Gotway ACM are the current contenders for best 16-inchers of 2016. Seems like V8 scores here best for quality, reliability and low weight, less for ergonomics and range, ACM best for speed less for overall quality, and with the KS16 handle's great, but the "hello kingsong" is a show-stopper for me, but still hoping they'll finally add an option to kill it in KS16s...

Anyways, quite a few people have compared KS16 to v8 (like below), but how does ACM compare to both? any first hand impressions? set the quality and small features aside, it looks to me like performance-wise it beats both v8 and likely the upcoming KS16s too. 

edit: found this comparison ACM to KS16, but it's not very elaborate

edit2: a comparison of V8 to ACM by @Tishawn Fahie (brought up in the discussion below). it's a bit lengthy, but basically praising features and quality of V8, but still preferring ACM for its speed, power and riding feel.

18 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

IPS 191 - Lhotz!

Just saying...

can you compare it first-hand to ACM, KS16 or Inmotion V8? What aspects of Lhotz would make it (a previous generation wheel) better than the latest generation ones? (I'm not trying to be annoying, just looking for objective info - beyond the that we all love the wheels we own most .') )

1 hour ago, Tomek said:

can you compare it first-hand to ACM, KS16 or Inmotion V8? What aspects of Lhotz would make it (a previous generation wheel) better than the latest generation ones? (I'm not trying to be annoying, just looking for objective info - beyond the that we all love the wheels we own most .') )

i have tried the Lhotz for about 10 minutes earlier  this year....while having a Ks14 and 16 at this time on my own...and also could compare it to a 10minutes ride of MCM4....

Powerwise the Lhotz lost -clearly- against all other wheels mentioned...also batterie-range wise, its previous generation, like you said!

if i have to search for a good argument-nowadays-.....i can only say that its a 2.50 wide tire! and so a stable ride!

Here you can trust the numbers...1000 Watt max for Lhotz, wide over 2000Watt all others!

if you ever have batterie problems with the Lhotz...good night...you have to get this special designed shaped pack! not a standard 16s2p.....

And this is also not meaned annoying..just compared to newer wheels!

you choices of your three mentioned?

ACM!...power and speedwise the best! or wait for KS16s, as KS is better quality over all!

btw: the hello kingsong can be easily stopped by app!

v8 i cant say a thing...for me to low batterie :-)

21 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

IPS 191 - Lhotz!

Lhotz is rock solid, silky smooth, luxuriously comfortable, relaxingly stable. It has loads of torque for hill climbing, sudden moves, rough terrain. I have had zero problems with my two Lhotzs. I would buy Lhotz again without hesitation.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 16" wheels: Lhotz, a Ninebot One E+, and an ACM. The ACM definitely wins in the power category (and battery capacity). You can feel it right away it's much stronger than the other two. It is definitely my favorite. For comfort, the Ninebot wins due to the big pedals and narrow width, but the ACM isn't far behind. The Lhotz also has the narrow width but not the comfy flat pedals. Ninebot can't go as fast as the Lhotz, but has a little more power and torque at low speeds. I like all 3 though. 

Its hard to compare regarding the wheels you mentioned because they are not in the same league.  

The IPS is an intermediate wheel.  
Inmotion, I can't really comment because I've not really looked into them.  Possibly also intermediate.
Both KS and Gotway are considered pro and if you don't mind the price tag that comes with them then those are the ones you should be looking at.

9 hours ago, Chuts said:

Its hard to compare regarding the wheels you mentioned because they are not in the same league.  

The IPS is an intermediate wheel.  
Inmotion, I can't really comment because I've not really looked into them.  Possibly also intermediate.

Both KS and Gotway are considered pro and if you don't mind the price tag that comes with them then those are the ones you should be looking at.

To my estimate Inmotion has done the most professional EUC engineering job in the last year or so. KS and Gotway seem mainly try to spec out speed and power, while Inmotion seem to try to find a good compromise between these and weight and size (in particular width) and other parameters of usability (simple carrying through stairs, trolley...).

On 12/17/2016 at 4:51 AM, Mono said:

To my estimate Inmotion has done the most professional EUC engineering job in the last year or so. KS and Gotway seem mainly try to spec out speed and power, while Inmotion seem to try to find a good compromise between these and weight and size (in particular width) and other parameters of usability (simple carrying through stairs, trolley...).

I just wish Inmotion would of put a larger wH battery in the V8.
(The Kingsong 16 is looking nice with the 840wH battery.)

Just running around in the large parking lot at my work, I can easily go about 8 miles in 35-40 minutes and that uses about 35-40% of the battery in my V8 (I weigh 191lbs and easily average 13-14 mph in the parking lot.)

@abinder3I would have expected the range of the V8 with 480Wh to be a little bit larger, at least 35km, so this is slightly disappointing (unless you do lots of hard acceleration and braking during that time). Of course the problem is that a larger battery is more expensive, heavier and takes more space, hence there is always a compromise to be made.

25 minutes ago, Mono said:

@abinder3I would have expected the range of the V8 with 480Wh to be a little bit larger, at least 35km, so this is slightly disappointing (unless you do lots of hard acceleration and braking during that time). Of course the problem is that a larger battery is more expensive, heavier and takes more space, hence there is always a compromise to be made.

I've actually only charged the V8 about 4 times.  If the batteries are anything like the ones used in 'drones', it's suggested that they don't reach their full potential until about 15 full charges.
(I'm hoping that they be different after 15 full charges.)

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

I've actually only charged the V8 about 4 times.  If the batteries are anything like the ones used in 'drones', it's suggested that they don't reach their full potential until about 15 full charges.
(I'm hoping that they be different after 15 full charges.)

@abinder3 did you see the video review that @Tishawn Fahie did on the V8?  He rides 15 miles to work and the V8 could not do it at full speed like he likes to ride.  He likes it, but not for his long commute, he got a Gotway ACM with a bigger battery and it takes him the full 15 miles at top speed.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

Of course the problem is that a larger battery is more expensive, heavier and takes more space, hence there is always a compromise to be made.

As you like to ride long distances, I guess you will upgrade to one of the Gotways or Kingsongs with the heavy battery pack, still, the performance of the V8 seems pretty decent.  I think the range will go up slightly with more charges, but not a whole lot.  It's been said that cruising at 75% of maximum gives much better range, but that is a compromise you probably don't want to make.

If you are not happy with the V8, sell it and get a stronger wheel.  You could probably get most of your money back, and the price difference between it and a wheel with a bigger battery would not be that much more than buying an extra battery, not to mention the hassle of swapping the batteries.:(

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

@abinder3 did you see the video review that @Tishawn Fahie did on the V8?  He rides 15 miles to work and the V8 could not do it at full speed like he likes to ride.  He likes it, but not for his long commute, he got a Gotway ACM with a bigger battery and it takes him the full 15 miles at top speed.

I wonder if part of his problem was cold weather.

@abinder3 he did mention that it was pretty cold the day he made the video, but the main thing he said was he likes to ride just below top speed of the wheel, that uses a lot of power.  If he rides 15mph to work, that's about an hour ride, or a little more time for stopping at intersections.  That's a lot of riding to and from work, I wonder if he took the bus before getting a wheel?

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

@abinder3 he did mention that it was pretty cold the day he made the video, but the main thing he said was he likes to ride just below top speed of the wheel, that uses a lot of power.  If he rides 15mph to work, that's about an hour ride, or a little more time for stopping at intersections.  That's a lot of riding to and from work, I wonder if he took the bus before getting a wheel?

Yea, I think in the video he also stated that he likes a higher top speed as well.

I definitely think though that it's one of the best reviews that I've seen about the V8.  I just wish my V8 had a 840 wH battery for the extra range; the speed is fine though.

Archived