Replacement Tires and Inner Tubes

dbfrese

So my inner tube doesn't hold air any more. I did use slime in it about 6 months ago, which did help eliminate the weekly trips to the gas station to refill it with air, but I live in the desert, and the thorns have prevailed. I have 500+ miles on the Ninebot One E+, and the tire is starting to show some wear, so I'll replace both at the same time. So, what is everybody's advice on what to get for both an inner tube and tire?

Should I go for the OEM replacements? They seem so pricey, though!

I drive mostly on sidewalks, but also on a few dirt trails sometimes, so an aggressive tread would be helpful now and again. If you have specific recommendations, a link to where the tire or inner tube can be bought online would be appreciated. I would prefer a U.S. source, but others from outside the U.S. probably will eventually need to replace their's at some point, so why not make this thread the ultimate international source of information on the best tires and inner tubes and the best sources, too. 

Here are MY main criteria!

• I definitely want an inner tube with a bent valve stem like the original's.
  • I also want a tire resistant to punctures. 
  • I prefer an aggressive tread.

Let the advice roll in! :roflmao:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

I highly recommend Chao Yang; best tire I've ever ridden on bar none, especially compared to stock Kenda tires (see @xebeche's Tire comparison thread here).

That chart & review is great -- I made the mistake of searching only within the Ninebot Forum for tires. Can anyone confirm that a 16" x 2.125" tire will work on a Ninebot One E+? Is it too wide? If anyone has tried this particular tire on their Ninebot, please share your experience!

1 hour ago, dbfrese said:

That chart & review is great -- I made the mistake of searching only within the Ninebot Forum for tires. Can anyone confirm that a 16" x 2.125" tire will work on a Ninebot One E+? Is it too wide? If anyone has tried this particular tire on their Ninebot, please share your experience!

Would be interested as well. Different Chinese brand tires has been a fairly recent revelation, it seems, amongst us non-China EUC riders who don't have ready access to the other, non-Kenda brands (Chao Yang, CST, Cheng Shin, etc.).

Maybe I might see if one of the NYC riders would allow their E+'s to be a test dummy since the Chao Yang 16" can't run on my V8 anyways.

Edited by houseofjob

On 05/12/2016 at 6:32 PM, houseofjob said:

Unfortunately, the InMotion V8 casing is abnormally narrow and tight, so while the tire fit, I couldn't actually ride with said tire, as it rubbed against the inner casing (inner tube is obviously fine to use though). 

Ouch, who would have thought that the clearance between the tire and casing on V8 is so tight that you even have to carefully select what tire you put on it. 
Is it the width or height that seems to cause the problem?
I've also noticed little bit of difference in the space between the tire and the casing, between different tires I mounted on V5, but none of them ever rubbed against the casing.

1 hour ago, xebeche said:

Ouch, who would have thought that the clearance between the tire and casing on V8 is so tight that you even have to carefully select what tire you put on it. 
Is it the width or height that seems to cause the problem?
I've also noticed little bit of difference in the space between the tire and the casing, between different tires I mounted on V5, but none of them ever rubbed against the casing.

Yeah, even the stock Kenda tire on the V8 you can hear slightly brush up on the inner casing. 

With the Chao Yang, the tire fits, but rotating it, there's too much rub where the wheel gets slightly caught at one part. I was wondering in your tire tests whether any of them caught, as the original tire is 14" x 1.95" and not 14" x 2.125" for the V5, but the tightness is not to the degree that the V8 is.

Might take another attempt at it, but I've got a Maxxis Hookworm 16" on order in my quest to replace the stock Kenda.

Edited by houseofjob

Good morning, afternoon or evening

i found this topic to be superbly interesting as om replacing my solowheel innertube....... now im looking for some opinions as i need a 16'' ix 2.125 nner tube but the main question is i need because of the case inner shelf fit, a tube with a short valve around 20mm as opposed to conventional universal ones which are 30mm......(im not confortable with them 90degree valves either).......

any good recomendations ? 

cheers

:)

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I just bought a new tire and inner tube from a known seller.

I explicit asked for original KingSong tire and inner tube, the ones KingSong uses on their 14 inch unicycle, they sent me what KingSong now uses, the tire still the same Kenda but the inner tube is of such bad quality that I even had to confirm such bad downgrade,  the inner tube is from a brand Chaoyang, that has a logo similar to a sunset or sunrise, the quality compared to Kenda is abismal, this new inner tube is almost half if not half of the thickness, don't seem to have the Nylon strings that protect the inner tube from blowing up, this is unacceptable for an unicycle! I had to contact KingSong as is so hard to believe!!! I don't know about the brand tires, but if they are as low grade as the inner tube then avoid them at all cost!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by CVZalez
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1