Segway- Ninebot One S1 $599 on Amazon

Rehab1

The Ninbot One S1 by Segway ( it still appears NB and Segway are still married) is selling for $599 on Amazon! It originally was selling for $999!  https://www.amazon.com/Segway-Balancing-Personal-Transporter-Control/dp/B01M1SFFNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480897200&sr=8-1&keywords=Segway+unicycle

This looks like an awesome deal and it has the UL 2272 certification! Only tops out at 12.5 mph but for those just learning or kids starting out this wheel would be great! The advertisement states it incorporates some 'new rider tutorial'. 

Um...this entire forum is about electric unicycles, and the section you posted in is all about the Ninebot One. So yeah, there are a few riders around these parts. Start here:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/32-ninebot/

Looking at the reviews at Amazon, I have a feeling most of the people who bought this didn't have the patience to learn it and thought it would be as easy as a hoverboard. Lots of one star reviews.

Yes, lots of posts, but none on the Segway One S1 – which from my research is based off the Ninebot One S2, but made specifically for NA. 

More frequently I see suppliers (speedyfeet) stop carrying Ninebot and varied reports of problems relative to the rest of the pack. 

That is a tasty deal though... This is my first EU, just want to do it right. 

I ordered the Ninebot by Segway One S1 on Cyber Monday and I received it on Friday.  I'd been looking for the S2 to go on sale in the US and figured they were waiting for the UL 2272 cert.  A friend of mine found this and let me know about it.  Anyway, I've now ridden it for a few miles and it's mostly a very nice wheel.  It's much nicer than my Airwheel X3 ever was.  I have the only color model that is available on Amazon... the White one.  Even though it looks like the Ninebot One S2 black model.  I think they are the same thing.  It does have some writing on it specifying that it is UL2272 compliant and that it has 2 155 wh batteries, so hopefully the airlines will like it.  

Once I got mine past the 1 km break in period and got the speed limiter removed, I was able to take it up to speed.  I noticed that the road didn't feel flat anymore.  It felt like I was bumping along.  I'm thinking that my tire isn't on there correctly.  When I spin the wheel by hand, I can see that it's not consistent all the way around.  I'm thinking I should let some air out of the tire and see if I can't move it around a bit to get it all seated properly and try again.  If I can't get it sorted, I will just send it back to Amazon.  

That is my only compaint right now.  The app works great.  - except my Nexus 6P couldn't do the firmware upgrade.  My Motorola Moto E did the update just fine.  You can turn on and off the brake light, handle switch, LED colors and all the things you might expect.  It's the same app as all the other ninebot wheels.  I've yet to bash or crash it, so it's still looking quite nice with no blemishes.  I don't expect that to hold for very long.  

AFAIK there are only "Ninebot One A1" and "Ninebot One S2".

A1 is officially only for local Chinese market; while S2 is for global market with slightly better motor, better battery (2 instead of only 1 with A1), and also higher price of course.

You might be able to get an A1 outside of China though, but I don't think the warranty is valid, at least not from Ninebot the company itself.

I too ordered the S1 on Black Friday. Scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday (12/07). I used to ride a Ninebot One E in Singapore last year, but wasn't able to bring it to the US due to the airline restrictions. I know the wheel is a little bit smaller on the S1 than the E, but I'll report back on if i experience the bumpiness that ChicaneSpyder is experiencing. I'm hoping i like it as much as I liked the One E.

In the question and answers section on the Amazon page, the seller answers that this is a 16" inch wheel and not 14 inch. 

Is the seller wrong or is this a different structural version of the S2.

I deflated the tire and moved it from side to side all the way around the tire.  I re-inflated it and spun it around.  It didn't seem all that different.  I took it for a ride and it made a big difference.  I can still feel a tiny flat spot in the tire, but only because I'm looking for it.  For all intents and purposes I think it's fixed.

The wheel size is 14 inches.  I put a yardstick in it as far as it would go with zero on one side and 14 on the other.  (attached)  If you zoom in, you can also see that the model is "S1".  Also note the specs listed on the stickers.  

IMG_20161205_205929.jpg

4 minutes ago, ChicaneSpyder said:

I deflated the tire and moved it from side to side all the way around the tire.  I re-inflated it and spun it around.  It didn't seem all that different.  I took it for a ride and it made a big difference.  I can still feel a tiny flat spot in the tire, but only because I'm looking for it.  For all intents and purposes I think it's fixed.

The wheel size is 14 inches.  I put a yardstick in it as far as it would go with zero on one side and 14 on the other.  (attached)  If you zoom in, you can also see that the model is "S1".  Also note the specs listed on the stickers.  

IMG_20161205_205929.jpg

Did you connect your S1 to the official Ninebot App yet? What wheel type does the app show?

On 5.12.2016 at 5:19 AM, ChicaneSpyder said:

I ordered the Ninebot by Segway One S1 on Cyber Monday and I received it on Friday.  I'd been looking for the S2 to go on sale in the US and figured they were waiting for the UL 2272 cert.  A friend of mine found this and let me know about it.  Anyway, I've now ridden it for a few miles and it's mostly a very nice wheel.  It's much nicer than my Airwheel X3 ever was.  I have the only color model that is available on Amazon... the White one.  Even though it looks like the Ninebot One S2 black model.  I think they are the same thing.  It does have some writing on it specifying that it is UL2272 compliant and that it has 2 155 wh batteries, so hopefully the airlines will like it.  

Once I got mine past the 1 km break in period and got the speed limiter removed, I was able to take it up to speed.  I noticed that the road didn't feel flat anymore.  It felt like I was bumping along.  I'm thinking that my tire isn't on there correctly.  When I spin the wheel by hand, I can see that it's not consistent all the way around.  I'm thinking I should let some air out of the tire and see if I can't move it around a bit to get it all seated properly and try again.  If I can't get it sorted, I will just send it back to Amazon.  

That is my only compaint right now.  The app works great.  - except my Nexus 6P couldn't do the firmware upgrade.  My Motorola Moto E did the update just fine.  You can turn on and off the brake light, handle switch, LED colors and all the things you might expect.  It's the same app as all the other ninebot wheels.  I've yet to bash or crash it, so it's still looking quite nice with no blemishes.  I don't expect that to hold for very long.  

airlines do not like EUC's in general! Forbidden...sorry! search the Forum for more info!

9 hours ago, z3n said:

Did you connect your S1 to the official Ninebot App yet? What wheel type does the app show?

I did connect it to the app, but I'm not very familiar with it yet.  I can't find where it says what kind of cycle it is, but it does have the serial number at the top.  That begins with N2OBA.  I'm not sure what that tells you.  Both batteries show up in the app and everything seems to work fine.  I can control the handle, stop lights, other lights, lock mode, etc.  

I'm finding it hard to resist at this price.  Does not have the range I would like, does not have top speed margin I would like, and no trolly handle, with no pads may be a bit uncomfortable especially during learning.  Has the weight I really like, looks good.  I can always buy a 14C later right, because this one would still be good for taking on train, or in town for short errants and stuff even if I had the more capable 14C right? 

I have to learn on something, and although some suggest this wheel is just to nice too be used as a trainer, it will likely hold to gather just fine for a few (or many) spills while I see if I can get the hang of it. Generally good quality machine with just a couple performance specs that fall a little short with the battery and speed.

Hmmmm....

Too late, if you haven't already ordered it.  The price on Amazon for the Segway One S1 is back to $750.  For the same money an InMotion V5F looks a lot better ...

Of course, the price may change again after Christmas.  I wouldn't be surprised.

7 hours ago, Ombre said:

Too late, if you haven't already ordered it.  The price on Amazon for the Segway One S1 is back to $750.  ...

Already back down to $599.  However I went for the King Song 14C, so I'm not looking at the S1 anymore except out of curiosity.  

6 hours ago, Ombre said:

Good grief.  If I'd ordered it a few hours ago for $750 I'd be pretty pissed ...  Yo-yo pricing isn't good for anyone.

They must have seen @Jason McNeil's comparison chart showing how poorly it stacked up against the InMotion V5F! ;)

I doubt it would be a big problem, a quick chat with Amazon would almost certainly get the price difference back, or as last resort, cancel the order, or return it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived