getting tired of people stopping me and asking me what I'm riding

Bob Eisenman

Why stop and converse? Your being trapped into a lop sided conversation. You have places to go and things to do and see while out riding upon your property. 'Excuse me..I'm going somewhere...I can't stop and talk right now....Leave me alone'!

It's your property. It costs a respectable amount of money. It's your risk. If you haven't caused injury, trespassed or endangered the public you have little to gain making small friendly small talk. If there is a legal issue you will know for sure when you become stopped by police , an authority or denied access to services by a transit employee.

The average question asker has zero interest in riding an Electric Unicycle, is attracted to you only by the sight of your riding and benefits from the conversation more than the rider because in fact you've been interrogated for answers he/she can use with downstream listeners and authorities who can ultimately limit your enjoyment based on principles of existing or impending law.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When stop and talk you will be amazed at how many people show you how rude selfish and inconsiderate they are. :furious:The attitudes you will get will reassure you of the wisdom of not stopping in the first place.:D Seriously I ride for my own enjoyment. I dont owe anybody a conversation. That said the people worth talking to will make it apparent. Some people are cool as hell and say intelligent and funny things. Bless those few:innocent1:

21 minutes ago, Scully said:

Cheer up Bob
If you don't want to stop and chat, don't make eye contact.

He is in the USA.  People here are for the most part not very considerate or bright. When you ignore them there is a high probability that they will say something insulting. It took me a while for this to not make me uncomfortable. People in the usa call you to stop like you owe them a conversation.:crying:

You do owe them a conversation if you want to do your bit for EUC community relations. If the public see early adopters of this 'new' technology as being aloof, inconsiderate, or even outright rude, then it is so much easier for them to hate us, and it gives them ammunition they can later deploy at council meetings and the like...

I am not even slightly a 'social' person, but I will always stop to talk to someone taking an interest in my wheels, and I do my very best to make them leave the conversation feeling like they've had a very polite and courteous (and in my case tediously technically information-rich) exchange with someone doing a new and exciting thing, and not only that, but doing it well, and with maximum consideration for pedestrians. I want people to think about me, and us, like that. Having been doing that for several years now, I have a whole town full of people that know me and my wheel, and wave and smile as I go past. All from a little bit of basic politeness...

Of all the people I have ever stopped and talked to about EUCs over the years the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, and those people leave that conversation very much on my side, and certainly not seeking to prevent me doing it more. This is especially important in places where the legality of the EUC is still questionable - we need the people on our side (or at least not actively against us) if this is ever going to be mainstream and legal like it should be...

CBR

The topic headline was borrowed from within the forum to address a general complaint felt by some riders and myself.

And then there are the vocal or silent car drivers and occupants you can't compete with as they pass by...

I was riding on the sidewalk awhile ago. The road was separated from the walk by a cars width and a painted white lline. As one car passed it was half way into the shoulder between the walk and the painted line. As the car passed in the 30 mph zone the driver veered back into to car lane.

Going from town to town once a car passenger shouted 'what's the problem... someone cut your legs off?'

Or crossing in a crosswalk while a car moves with hockey player swiftness to pass through the zone first.

I passed a lady once who made big effort to establish a conversation with questions like 'I just have to ask you...' spoken tens of feet away as I travelled down a hill on a sidewalk. Passing by her she said in a smirking hurt voice ..'no?..' meaning I declined to stop and talk.

There is no such entity as community EUC relations.

20 hours ago, zlymex said:

I just wave to them like parade reguardless of what they say to me or they just looking at me.

I think this is probably the best response, if you don't want to talk, or you don't want to rise to a smart Alec quip, or even a cruel cutting remark.  By doing this, you disarm the situation and can legitimately be assumed to not have heard what was said, so your response  cannot legitimately be considered as sarcastic or rude. 

Heres a tip; wear a pair of ear buds.  Not connected to anything, because that would be dangerous.  Just wear them and you can ignore ALL verbal attempts to communicate.  And as scully suggested...

20 hours ago, Scully said:

Cheer up Bob
If you don't want to stop and chat, don't make eye contact.

I hardly make any eye contact.  But for some reason, the Spanish (Spain is where I am right now) for the most part refuse to acknowledge my existence.  It's almost as if they refuse to admit they are amazed, or confused, or interested, or whatever.  So I get none of the issues you're  dealing  with.  But I do remember, 14 years ago, when I rode Segways in Houston, I would occasionally get stupid remarks shouted at me from passing vehicles.  The classic was this red neck asp hole in an 8 litre 10 mpg pick up truck.. "Get off and walk! " he shouted.  Priceless..moron.

but seriously Bob, chill out a bit, they can't help being inconsiderate morons, have pity on them, smile, and wave.

Most of the time I answer "It's an electric unicycle!" while continuing to ride by without slowing down. Occasionally, depending on the situation and how the person is acting, sometimes I do stop and have a conversation. I have met some people who were very fascinated and really wanted to know more about EUCs. I also use zlymex's method of giving a friendly wave while smiling (sometimes I say "Hi"), which makes it seem like I did not understand what the person said.

I've had a few instances where I got something back said to me. One was from an older guy on one of those super light bicycles and he gave me a thumbs down and said, "No motor vehicles on the bike path, booo!" I was funny though he was going over 25mph to get away from me after he said that and then i was still behind him. So, I just decided to let it go and let him have the win. Look if people are going to judge us then they will. You don't have to change how you act to meet their demands. With that being said, I still stop when people ask me about it. I talk to them because I like the look they have on their faces, the look that says,'How is it possible for humans to do this?' I want to be the one that tells them anything is possible as long as you can dream. 

Yell to them "Why so serious?!" The ultimate universal response to anything in life B)

Besides, except walking, running, swimming or carrying, everything is cheating, even baby transport or a snowboard.

And if they yell "what the hell is that?!" of course my response will be "it's a monoped!"

@Bob Eisenman You apparently live in a country where people are talkative and easy going. Come and try riding in Brussels, where people are shy and often unfriendly or even impolite and you will see the difference, they won't talk to you as much :D
I should try riding in more country-side parts of Belgium, where people are more relaxed than Brussels, I might face the same problem as you.

I just usually waive or say hello, few times people went after me to get to know what it was, we had a good conversation. I use euc for work and fun, when im going to work, I dont stop, I just waive.

Think about it, when you saw the wheel for the fist time, that how they feel... WOW 

I was riding out of town recently and stopped at the local mall. As I slowed down to a stop before the doorway two middle aged women looked startled and asked 'what is that ?' I paused a bit, powered down and put the pedals up. After lifting the colorfully self padded Ninebot to go inside I responded 'it's how I get around' to which they responded 'yeah...'.

On another ride, near sunset while on the sidewalk of the next town, which annually annihilates the High School football team at Thanksgiving, a driver quipped 'what's it called?' to which I responded 'FUN' and to which he responded 'don't trip'.

Closer to Halloween, a big deal for the town where I live, I was skirting the fringe of the congested pedestrian attractions at the end of a 30 mile ride (in recharged intervals). I crossed an intersection at the 'walk' light and moved into the ride side of a wide sidewalk to avoid operating in traffic. A twenty-ish woman popped into 'my side of the sidewalk' at the last moment and said 'sidewalk'. I replied 'don't do it' to the woman who was two arms length away. At the last moment she jumped back amongst her friends and our arms brushed slightly in the passing.

Quite often people will watch me glide by and say 'awsome' which suggests something more positive.

Riding to the mall along a revently repaved Street , at night while using a bright flashlight, a homeowner standing on her front porch said frightfully 'what the hell is that !'

Taming an alternate night route to the grocery store, using a no motor vehicles bike path, I continued onto a rarely used Street where a pair of headlights had slowed to a crawl in the middle of the road. Passing the car well off to the side I could read the printed lable and see the color scheme of the local police.

Returning once at night from the grocery store along a rarely used sidewalk leading to the roadway border between two towns I moved along the unlit parking lot of a Jewish funeral home. A dark vehicle looked to occupy a corner of that lot. A local police officer exited the vehicle, walked directly to the sidewalk and standing in the middle of it said 'what do you call that?' After a minutes long conversation with 'Mike' I moved along back to my apartment with a pack full of groceries and a container of somewhat softened ice cream.

Oh good, are we doing riding stories now ? I got one !

Today, I was on a mostly deserted country cycle path. The only other person I saw in 3 miles had a massive dog with him, not on a lead.

On the way towards the country park, as I approached him, the dog (seriously - panther size !) began to stalk towards me, and looked like it might try to intercept.

I had comprehensive body armour on, but it was VERY big. 

I slowed right down, and asked the owner if the dog was going to be OK. He said 'Oh yes, she's fine', and, with the dog now stopped some way off, I cautiously wheeled past. All good so far.

Half an hour later, I was on the same path on the way back. This time I was doing a timed speed run, experience having taught me that the cycle path would be empty as dusk was kicking in, and nobody goes to an out-of-town country park in the dark.

And empty it was, until I saw the same guy, in the same place, this time poking about in the bushes for unknown reasons, and not paying any attention at all to his supersize wolf, which, I realised, was paying rather too much attention to me, as I approached at 34 kph downhill. I'd got to about 30 meters away from it before it ran full pelt at me, and I suddenly found myself with some rather urgent decisions to make. 

I didn't want to stop, for a variety of (mainly teeth-based) reasons, so instead, attempted to swerve round it at high speed, hoping it wouldn't think to jump at me sideways.

Incredibly, I managed it, the dog didn't jump, and although the manoeuvre sent me a bit wobbly briefly, I scooted off unscathed, fast enough to outrun the dog, though still having time to shout 'ON A LEAD PLEASE' at its owner, before I disappeared round the corner, and, having ascertained that the dog had by now given up, slowed down enough to let my heart rate return to normal. So that was fun. 

Regarding what to say, I found this short clip during a ride a few weeks back. I probably should have stopped to explain further but I was late for supper.

10 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Oh good, are we doing riding stories now ? I got one !

Ohh, Ohh... My turn...

And this is just awesome! For the first time ever, I was riding to get home last week, and stopped for some traffic lights. At the crossing was a father with two smaller children...

I was behind them, and unseen. But as the lights changed, and I powered past I heard, "Look Dad, another one! "

NOT AT ALL what I expected! 

It turns out, a college of mine (my first EUC Army recruit) had passed by 5 minutes before. But it is still the most awesome time to have ever come second! 

Ive had a few dogs start an attack on me. None got too close so far, but I'm  considering carrying a stick about 60 cm long just in case.   A rap on the attackers snout might stop the attack.. Of course I'd probably fall off during the swing, but that's another thing altogether.  I'm not sure of all the legal ramifications, but I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to defend myself against a dog attack, especially if it Is not on a leash.  I would consider that a danger to the public.

speaking of "the public" stories

wheeling along the quay side in Denia Marina, Spain I pass two small boys, about 7 yrs. old playing on push scooters.  As  I pass I hear, in an English accent, "that's so cool! " Made me smile.  I raised my hand in acknowledgement.

Yesterday, passing an, oh so cute female cyclist with a face ike a doll, we shared a smile.  Priceless 

also yesterday  I was flagged down aggressively, but in a friendly way ? by a couple in their 50s.  I had no schedule to keep, and there was a handy lamp post to prop my self against. So I stopped.  She aske me somethings in Spanish.  "English " I said.  "Italian " she said, "no", "French" "no" "German " "no" . It was kinda fun.  Eventually, in three languages, English, Spainish and French ( the man was French but spoke some English) we had a good chat. Top speed, balance, gyros, Paris gyroroue community. It was all in there.

Wheeling along on top of the external marina wall, I could see people eating in a restaurant across the road, about 60m away, but st the same level, on the marina side.  One must have said something as the whole table turned to watch me wheel by.

I wish I had a @Marty Backe helmet mirror to watch all the people who turn to get a better look "after" I have wheeled by. I can see their heads turning out of the corner of my eye.

I think it's good for us to stop and chat with people. The vast majority of people who stop me to talk are very friendly and think EUCs are cool, so I spend as much time as needed to explain and show them how it works. It's a good icebreaker and you find yourself meeting and talking to people you wouldn't have. Since these EUC are new, it's up to us to establish a good feeling around them with the general public, especially for me that I share sidewalk with them frequently.

We don't want EUCs to get a bad wrap and then have legislators and law enforcement cracking down on us needlessly. So let's keep up the good vibe going around these very fun gadgets.

On 12/3/2016 at 3:16 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

you have little to gain making small friendly small talk

Research suggests that small little talks are quite a relevant factor in what makes people happy. So it seems there is a lot to gain after all...

4 hours ago, Adel said:

I think it's good for us to stop and chat with people.

Agreed, @Adel. I am rather introverted, and normally don't just strike up a conversation with total strangers, but I am happy to talk to anyone who expresses interest. After all, these electric unicycles are odd. People are curious and I'm happy to fill them in, even if they are never going to get one themselves. At the very least, it is good PR on behalf of everyone else in the EUC community to help make a good impression of EUCs and their riders. 

After all, if its not people who are important, what really is? Selfish enjoyment? Accumulation of things & money? Power?

On 12/3/2016 at 4:34 PM, tadrossi said:

When stop and talk you will be amazed at how many people show you how rude selfish and inconsiderate they are.

I had overall probably more than a hundred little chats, none of which was even close to be rude and only very few could be judged as somewhat selfish or inconsiderate. The one time an old woman yelled at me, I was the only one to blame, as I had been passing her in an inept (and inconsiderate) move just too closely. So if you feel that people are rude, selfish or inconsiderate, the reason might well be that they have the same feelings about you.

2 minutes ago, Mono said:

The one time an old woman yelled at me, I was the only one to blame, as I had been passing her in an inept move just too closely.

I had the same thing the other day, only it was too fast rather than too close. Poor old lady - she jumped quite spectacularly, so I felt suitably guilty that I didn't warn her from behind I was coming. I had my phone on my arm, and the beeper button available, but I can't use it with gloves on, and it was very very cold, so that's my excuse :). I have just ordered a finger bell as penance. I was extra punished by the £2.99 delivery:)

Archived