EUC not allowed on Seattle / Sound Transit bus?

f0dder1024

Curious if anyone has had run ins with taking their EUC on public transportation or specifically in the Seattle area. Just got stopped from entering the bus with my EUC today, but had been bringing mine on board for a few months now. 

I couldn't find anything on the respective seattle metro / Sound Transit websites prohibiting electric vehicles let alone hoverboards.

He mentions the only electric vehicle allowed are wheelchairs. For people in the Seattle area ( SoloWheelers looking at you? ) how did / would you deal with it?

1. Get a letter from metro officials confirming your search findings, and carry it with you to show driver if stopped again.  But you run the risk of bringing it to the attention of metro management, and they might just give you your ban you couldn't find, just so they don't have to deal with it anymore.

or ( preferred low key method)

2. Carry a large thin  opaque, plastic bag in your pocket.  Put wheel in bag BEFORE  bus arrives, carry your "shopping " onto bus, act normal. Don't un-bag at final stop until bus has left, to prevent driver getting wise to your scam.  I was a bus driver once, and I know they drive the same routes day after day. They also, should look carefully in their mirrors to make sure it is safe to pull away Wouldn't want one to recognise you and your bag of goodies, in the process.

I am leaning towards #2. As it really hasn't been an issue with other drivers, one guy even asked me about it and we chatted during the whole ride. Been looking at EUC backpack or something to carry it in as you mentioned. 

Going to give seattle solowheel dealer a call to see what advice they give their riders? Going to lay low for a while and go back to my push scooter for now.

Hell there is one idiot driver in my area that said cross-country ski are not allowed, I told him to go screw himself...

Only an occasional (new) driver stop me and mini, but I tell them I been going to work for several years (had an airwheel prior) doing this....The mini slides under seat easily (aisle seats)...

But what if I get the Monster, will it go under seat, much less the on bus???

Metro allows them. Officially metro has even discussed these types of devices as being beneficial to ridership as solving the last mile problem.  As long as it's not a hindrance to others on board they are allowed like any other carry on. Smaller than a shopping bag. The driver is wrong, unfortunately he is the captain of his bus. Riding a unicycle while on the bus is something entirely different. 

I find i can beat the bus riding my euc. 

• 3 months later...

Update: Finally got a hold of a favorite Sound Transit bus driver. asked him about legality of EUC's. Initially he had no problems with it. I asked him to confirm with his supervisor. He finally got back to me. The word from "dispatch" is that they are legal. Really it was just one driver out of eight? that sent me into hiding.

I've been following your advice Smoother, initially using an opaque garbage bag. I then made a stuff sack out of tarp, nylon string for thread and nylon braided rope for the cinch. Found it easier to slide my EUC under the seats and retrieve it. The bus flooring is like sand-paper, so better for the sack to take the abuse.  

TL;DR EUC are legal to bring aboard on Seattle Sound Transit buses.

I ride Seattle Metro Transit (214) and Sound Transit (554) and have never had an issue.  I've raced right up to the door of the bus and the drivers just smile and let me on.

One day downtown, I just missed the bus as it was pulling away.  I raced it to the next stop and got on.  Fastest way to travel in city traffic.

That's good to hear JimB. I really had an issue with one driver. Since I was new & didn't know better, didn't want to argue. Like the advice given, just laid low and been sacking my EUC. Til I could find my favorite driver. His schedule changed so took a while to find him. I did call the SoloWheels guy and like you never heard of such ban. The guy said he takes his EUC on the link light rail and never has had an issue. I am glad you came out of the woodwork cuz it was dark times for me.

Never had an issue with a public bus. If it fits in front of your seat within your paid for area or on your lap it's just legal baggage. Most municipalities in the US define 2+ wheeled electric transportation of XYZ wattage as mobility devices and require them to be in the bike rack or interior bicycle area/wheelchair area of the bus/train and subject to Disability Act regulations. 

• 1 year later...

i wrote to  soundtransit.org and asked them cause one bus driver told me it was not legal.

They replied to me with the following: 

"Thank you for contacting Sound Transit regarding your unicycle.  Sound Transit allows only two wheeled standard size bicycles, including two wheeled electric bicycles.  Unfortunately, based on the image link you provided, your solid wheeled electric unicycle is not permitted on our bus services.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please let me know if I can answer additional questions or be of further assistance."

I guess is not legal. :S

9 minutes ago, Lira said:

i wrote to  soundtransit.org and asked them cause one bus driver told me it was not legal.

"Thank you for contacting Sound Transit regarding your unicycle.  Sound Transit allows only two wheeled standard size bicycles, including two wheeled electric bicycles.  Unfortunately, based on the image link you provided, your solid wheeled electric unicycle is not permitted on our bus services.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please let me know if I can answer additional questions or be of further assistance."

Typical bureaucrat lack of common sense! On what planet does it make sense to disallow an electric unicycle (which consumes next to zero additional space) but to allow an electric bicycle?

Earth apparently :blink1:

2 hours ago, Lira said:

So you went for option 1. (see below) and you got my predicted result of choosing option 1.  :facepalm:

On 12/1/2016 at 6:15 AM, Smoother said:

1. Get a letter from metro officials confirming your search findings, and carry it with you to show driver if stopped again.  But you run the risk of bringing it to the attention of metro management, and they might just give you your ban you couldn't find, just so they don't have to deal with it anymore.

or ( preferred low key method)

2. Carry a large thin  opaque, plastic bag in your pocket.  Put wheel in bag BEFORE  bus arrives, carry your "shopping " onto bus, act normal. Don't un-bag at final stop until bus has left, to prevent driver getting wise to your scam.  I was a bus driver once, and I know they drive the same routes day after day. They also, should look carefully in their mirrors to make sure it is safe to pull away Wouldn't want one to recognise you and your bag of goodies, in the process.

A life lesson:

It's often easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

On 12/1/2016 at 1:15 AM, Smoother said:

2. ........  Put wheel in bag BEFORE  bus arrives, carry your "shopping " onto the bus.........

I’d choose the bag method. The Z10 fits great in a duffle.  Also a large enough bag prevents annoying strangers from sitting next to you. ;)

32011847047_cdeb71efbd_b.jpg

Here's one you won't believe, I had another new driver I came across and she insisted that it had to be strapped down so she took my mini and strapped it in where a wheelchair had to go..... So I ended up taking up three chairs and people were standing.... Normally I would only take up one chair with the wheel in between my legs.... Stupid driver had to stop the bus get out of her seat to strap it in and unstrap it.... I told her this is no difference between a folded up shopping cart or baby stroller....I really feel bad for the ladies, they have to carry their baby and a folded stroller on and off the damn bus....

3 hours ago, xcitant said:

Are there any Euc specific bags out there that can fit a z10? Looking for something better than the garbage bag I'm using. :)

Ikea bag.  Tough, ubiquitous, wide mouth.  Folds up small.  Take some other piece of material or a smaller plastic bag to shield the top from view.  Pass one strap through the other to keep the top mostly closed. 

29 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Ikea bag.  Tough, ubiquitous, wide mouth.  Folds up small.  Take some other piece of material or a smaller plastic bag to shield the top from view.  Pass one strap through the other to keep the top mostly closed. 

Good idea - haven't been to IKEA for a while, now I've got a reason to go. :thumbup:

Archived